New ship 2022

chris11256

I see Carnival will be having more competition in the luxury market, apparently MSC are to announce the construction of four 700 passenger luxury ships.

Carnival have Seabourn, NCL have Oceania and Regent, Royal Caribbean have Azamara. I think it was inevitable that a fast expanding line like MSC would eventually join them in the luxury market although it will be interesting to see whether they market them as MSC or under another name.

I suspect that all the major cruise groups recognise that not all passengers like very large ships. Economies of scale however, dictate that for smaller ships to be financially viable they need to charge higher prices for fewer facilities. Their answer is to focus not on facilities but on standards of cuisine and service, with prices to match. Inevitably, this means that those who prefer smaller ships but are not able to pay luxury prices will find themselves increasingly unable to sail on a smaller ship.

It certainly did. Indeed, I remember one occasion when the ship made a sudden movement during its construction and it collapsed leaving the atrium floor awash with champagne and broken glasses. It was repeated sucessfully the following evening.

Those were the days ;-)

Have to say, on a sea day we tend to enjoy the balcony where it is much quieter and then wander up to the adults only bar area at the back once it has quietened down. We have to go in the school holidays so I suppose we expect it to be pretty busy on any ship.

We've only ever done the Med. on Oceana and the last time we sailed on her we met up with Aurora and she looked a really nice similar sized ship. I think we would be happy on her as well.

You should give the Aurora a try. I'm probably biased but I think you may prefer it.:)

Carnival have Seabourn, NCL have Oceania and Regent, Royal Caribbean have Azamara. I think it was inevitable that a fast expanding line like MSC would eventually join them in the luxury market although it will be interesting to see whether they market them as MSC or under another name.

I suspect that all the major cruise groups recognise that not all passengers like very large ships. Economies of scale however, dictate that for smaller ships to be financially viable they need to charge higher prices for fewer facilities. Their answer is to focus not on facilities but on standards of cuisine and service, with prices to match. Inevitably, this means that those who prefer smaller ships but are not able to pay luxury prices will find themselves increasingly unable to sail on a smaller ship.

The only problem comes when ageing ships need to be replaced. Fred Olsen and Cruise & Maritime both operate a fleet of smaller ships at reasonable prices. Marella (Thomson) also operate mid-size and small ships on a 'budget' price. None of their ships however are very young and it will be interesting to see what happens when they do need to replace them. Niche lines such as Saga and Voyages to Antiquity also sail smaller ships in a price bracket between mainstream and luxury.

Interesting how similar news can be taken so differently,as a member of a number of ferry groups I have seen how excited people in the ferry world are getting at the announcements being made about the size of new ferries on order,in particular Irish Ferries already have a huge ferry on the Dublin to Holyhead route but have ordered not one but 2 new bigger vessels(ok not big by cruise ship standards!),to those people it just means business is booming not companies trying to cram in as many as they can!