Buying liquor from Celebrity for cabin. Advantage to pre-order? Price list?

amusea

I enjoy having a bottle of scotch in my cabin for my TA. Should I wait to buy it onboard or is there a price advantage to buying it in advance? I am also concerned at the variety that might be offered and would like to look at the price list and selection if it is available online. I have not been able to find current prices. Thanks.

Liquor for consumption in your cabin must be pre-ordered. In terms of price advantage, be prepared to pay about 4-5 times the market rate.

The list is rather limited; we have inquired about the availability of a particular brand and are still awaiting a definitive answer (first response was "we don't know but will try to find out").

How odd that the photo in that link appears to be someone opening a CAR DOOR?

You're right. Whats with that? Why would that picture be in any of the marketing materials for a cruise line? Would love to know the thought process.

On HAL, I could get a bottle of Tanqueray gin for under $45 CAD, but Celebrity wants $125 CAD. :eek: No wonder some passengers resort to rum runners!

Yes, as previous HAL cruisers, I couldn't believe it when I went to order a bottle of Tanqueray (our favourite also) or Sapphire for our forthcoming Solstice cruise. Oh, and the Sapphire, which is about the same price in bottle shops here, is even more expensive at something like Aus$165. Just not happening, not at a price that is nothing short of absolutely robbery. There is nothing that could justify that price. On another thread one regular cruiser spoke of ordering a gin (or whatever) after breakfast and taking it with him back to his room where he poured it into a plastic bottle that he kept in the fridge. He would then go to various bars during the day and do the same so that before too long he ended up with the equivalent of a bottle of gin, and then would just get cans of tonic. It seems such a terrible way to have to do it, but I'd rather do that than pay what Celebrity charge for a bottle.

We have brought a bottle or two beforehand before we had drinks packages - but it is very expensive for cheap gin. Now we have a drinks package we don't bother. We take drinks back to our cabin. If you have a small empty bottle it would be easy to stock up in your cabin using the drinks package (I.e. Always collect a measure each time you return to your cabin whether you need it then and keep it for later)

Since we do not drink more than one or two glasses per evening, the drinks package is really not a good value for us, which is why a reasonably priced bottle of alcohol seems to be the best compromise -- not so much for convenience but rather for savings over the cost of individual mixed drinks.