First time to Alaska: Please comment on shore excursion thoughts

totheworld

Hello,

Thank you to everyone already - I have done so much research on this board and it has been incredibly helpful.

We are a family of 3 plus two grandparents who will be going to Alaska on HAL, inside passage, departing Vancouver in late August. We are active, while the grandparents are not quite as much - so they will likely be joining us for some of these activities and not for the others.

In general, we don't like feeling rushed, however, I'm having trouble picking and choosing. Not having a great sense of distance or time is not helping. We do not want to rent a car, which i know makes things more difficult.

ANY feedback on the following would be so appreciated!

Juneau, arrive 1:00 PM, depart 10:00 PM

• Whale watching 2 - 6 with grandparents
  • Mendenhall Glacier, without grandparents.

The challenge I have is that we will want to stay longer at the glacier than the 45-60 minutes that is offered on a combined tour, walking to Nugget Falls at the very least. Should I look for a shorter, private whale watching tour, 2 - 5 and then shuttle or cab to Mendenhall? Transportation back from Mendenhall would be via cab?

Skagway: 7:00 am - Depart9:00 pm

• White Pass train and bus – book through Chilkoot charters? 8:30 – 11:30 - Grandparents would join on this
  • Chilkoot Float and Hike 2:30 - 7:00 book through Skagway float tours? Chilkat? or maybe just through the cruise ship? 2:30– 7:00

This seems like a long day but there's so much to do...

Ketchikan: Arrive 10:00 am - Depart6:00 pm

• Looking at a private guided tour that includes totem park, possibly herring cove, and a hike through Tongass National Park. Grandparents would join for part but skip the hike. This would be 12:30 - 3:30 or so.

Once again, thank you for any help. Writing this all out makes it feel a little too packed - is it too early to plan another trip?

Hello,

Thank you to everyone already - I have done so much research on this board and it has been incredibly helpful.

We are a family of 3 plus two grandparents who will be going to Alaska on HAL, inside passage, departing Vancouver in late August. We are active, while the grandparents are not quite as much - so they will likely be joining us for some of these activities and not for the others.

In general, we don't like feeling rushed, however, I'm having trouble picking and choosing. Not having a great sense of distance or time is not helping. We do not want to rent a car, which i know makes things more difficult.

•  

The challenge I have is that we will want to stay longer at the glacier than the 45-60 minutes that is offered on a combined tour, walking to Nugget Falls at the very least. Should I look for a shorter, private whale watching tour, 2 - 5 and then shuttle or cab to Mendenhall? Transportation back from Mendenhall would be via cab?

•  
  • White Pass train and bus – book through Chilkoot charters? 8:30 – 11:30 - Grandparents would join on this

• Chilkoot Float and Hike 2:30 - 7:00 book through Skagway float tours? Chilkat? or maybe just through the cruise ship? 2:30– 7:00

•  
  • Looking at a private guided tour that includes totem park, possibly herring cove, and a hike through Tongass National Park. Grandparents would join for part but skip the hike. This would be 12:30 - 3:30 or so.

Once again, thank you for any help. Writing this all out makes it feel a little too packed - is it too early to plan another trip?

Your first question is pretty much exactly what I came to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did similarly ports. A LOT of walking wherever you go. So if you have people who are not truly mobile or have issues walking a lot, I would take the tours that offer more riding for certain. Also keep in mind the weather. We thought our weather would be cold and wet at the mid September mark but it was the most unseasonably warmest and beautiful weather in years, and those going in the summer when you expect the weather to be good had rain most of the summer.

On our trip we really enjoyed the whale watching (out of ISP). Personally, I would not shorten that to extend Mendenhall. Mendenhall is nice, however, mostly it is a view of the glacier from a distance (that doesn't take much time), a nice visitor center (that doesn't take long either), then the path down to nugget falls. I don't remember how long the walk was to Nugget Falls, but I don't think it was long. It gets you closer to the glacier, but still a long ways away. I would not have felt like I missed a lot of we hadn't had done the walk to the falls. I have seen much more impressive falls and hikes in my travels.

The whale watching is of course a bit of luck, but the longer the captain has I would think you will have a greater chance to see whales up close.

Just my opinion...

In Skagway instead of the 3.5 hour bus/rail excursion you mentioned, you might want to consider Chilkoot Charters' 7.5 hour rail and bus excursion (https://chilkootcharters.com/package/yukon-rail-bus/) and forget about the hike and float this trip. We took the 7.5 hour trip with Chilkoot on our first cruise, and it was terrific. While at Caribou Crossing on that excursion, you will get to play with sled dog puppies, visit a small museum and have lunch. Your other choice seems awfully rushed.

Also, the Town of Skagway is so darned cute, and your two excursion choices will not leave you any time to see the town.

Double-check that none of your Skagway options are actually in Haines. There's a fast ferry between Haines and Skagway, taking ~45 minutes each way, but IMHO you absolutely do not want to even contemplate trying to do an excursion in Skagway, then ferry to Haines, an excursion in Haines, and ferry back. Too much to do, and way too much dependence on the ferry schedule.

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses.

For Ketchikan, I've booked 3.5 hours with Wild Wolf (tracy) and will figure out how we are spending that time later - we definitely want a hike in Tongass, and think that the totems may be more interesting with a guide? We will see.

For Skagway, I went and booked the 8:30 bus/rail via Chilkoot (just waiting on confirmation). Then, I think we'll get lunch back on the boat, and head back out to hike on our own, possibly lower dewey lake or yakutania point. I did some more reading and realized my son could get a junior ranger pin in Skagway. He won't want to miss that. That way, we'll have some more time on our own and not be tied to excursions.

For Juneau, I am absolutely torn between Jayleen and Gastineau Discovering Alaska's Whales (booked through ship). Jayleen sounds so knowledgable and she has been incredibly helpful...but the science angle of the Whale Tour also sounds appealing. Plus my husband is expressing some concern about the 6 person boat. Any thoughts? We will make our way to Mendenhall after for whatever time we can.

This trip is taking shape! I know I'm planning far too early, but I can't help it.

Plus my husband is expressing some concern about the 6 person boat. Any thoughts?

Is he concerned about getting sea sick or that the boat will be overturned by a whale (my daughter’s concern)? We did a whale watching tour in a 6 passenger boat in Icy Strait Point and loved it. I am sure the boats in Juneau are similar. They are larger than you think and much better than being on a boat with 100 people fighting for a spot on the rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes! That was his fear exactly - that we would be overturned...I don't truly understand it.... The Discover Alaska's Whales is maxed out at 20 people, so not overrun with people. Just not sure the citizen science part of it feels "real" or is just a gimmick that takes away from seeking out whales.

...Made reservation request to Jayleen. Hopefully will hear back from her soon. I really want the small boat and I spoke with my husband and reminded him that we aren't even allowed to get too close to the whales (now, of course, they don't know that but still not worried we'll capsize). Thanks again everyone!

You would need to cab back from Mendenhall. I think the last shuttle is around 6 or 6:30. The R/T shuttle is $45 per person, which includes the entrance fee. Not sure of a one way cost. Maybe less expensive to cab both ways.

Thanks - Jayleen may drop us at the bus stop, which I think is 1/2 mile from vistor's center or we may end up calling a cab to take us there. Regardless, we will definitely make sure to take numbers with us so we can get back to the dock!

My sister and I took a bus/van tour from Skagway to the Yukon. We had many opportunities to get out and make pictures, even at the Welcome signs of Alaska and Yukon. We booked that through the cruise line. Lunch was included plus a stop in a town so we could get a stamp in our passport. Our best excursion.

Hello,

•  

•  

•  

Note, you don’t need a car at any of these ports. All very walkable.

Juneau: whale watching late in August could be iffy, but would be awesome if the whales haven’t already started heading south. Mendenhall is well worth seeing and I’d take the grandparents too. You can get a shuttle transfer right off the ship for like $10 pp. There’s a visitor center (small addtl fee, maybe $5 pp). They have videos and ranger talks there that the Grands will like). The others might skip the visitor center and hike to the waterfalls for great view of the glacier and falls. The grands still get good views from inside the visitor center.

Skagway: definitely do the train. Don’t know anything about the float & hike but save enough time to take the Ranger hike around town to learn all the interesting history.

Ketchikan: More of a shopping port. Be sure to see Creek Street. Late August you may be lucky enough to see the Salmon spawning and heading up the salmon ladder in the Creek. Amazing sight! Let the grands enjoy the great Alaskan lumberjack show, which is a short walk from the ship while you go looking for Salmon. Walk up married man’s trail (above Creek Street) and follow the creek.

Your first Alaskan cruise won’t be your last! Very addicting! Have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In Skagway instead of the 3.5 hour bus/rail excursion you mentioned, you might want to consider Chilkoot Charters' 7.5 hour rail and bus excursion (https://chilkootcharters.com/package/yukon-rail-bus/) and forget about the hike and float this trip. We took the 7.5 hour trip with Chilkoot on our first cruise, and it was terrific. While at Caribou Crossing on that excursion, you will get to play with sled dog puppies, visit a small museum and have lunch. Your other choice seems awfully rushed.

Also, the Town of Skagway is so darned cute, and your two excursion choices will not leave you any time to see the town.

I agree with this. We loved this trip and would do it again.

Thank you again for all your help! I'm very excited for this trip!

This is where we are right now:

Juneau: Whale watch with Jayleen, cab to/from glacier

Skagway: Bus up/Train down, lunch on ship, hike after (Yakutania or Lower Dewey) and/or walking around town

Ketchikan: Possible lumberjack show if grandparents want to come - may add because while i think I won't like it, I'm fairly certain my 8yo don will love it. Then 3.5 hour tour with Wild Wolf (totems and hike and Herring Cove?)

Note, you don’t need a car at any of these ports. All very walkable.

Juneau: whale watching late in August could be iffy, but would be awesome if the whales haven’t already started heading south. Mendenhall is well worth seeing and I’d take the grandparents too. You can get a shuttle transfer right off the ship for like $10 pp. There’s a visitor center (small addtl fee, maybe $5 pp). They have videos and ranger talks there that the Grands will like). The others might skip the visitor center and hike to the waterfalls for great view of the glacier and falls. The grands still get good views from inside the visitor center.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We went in early September and seen plenty of whales - the scientist on board said they should stay in Auke Bay thru mid September before heading south

Our last cruise, we went with Juneau Whale Watch for the whale watch/glacier combo tour. We spent about three hours on the water with 20 of our closest friends and never felt in danger on the boat. We then took a bus to Mendenhall Glacier where we were able to spend plenty of time hiking to Nugget Falls and Photo Point. Left only because it started to get dark. Our port times were the same as yours