First Time Cruisers

markanddawn

Hello all.We have just booked our first cruise and cant wait.We are sailing on Britannia to The Fjords at the end of July.We just have a few questions that maybe some of you can help us with.These will probably seem simple to most experienced cruisers but hopefully with your advice everything will become clearer for us.

We have booked Three cabins next door to each other on D Deck with balcony. D705/7/9 does anybody have any experience of these cabins? As they are adjoining is their any way the three balconies can be opened up to make one long one?

Our son who is 14 is rather fussy about what he drinks and has only water and apple juice. How easily are these obtainable on board,at what cost,and are we able to take a supply of each on board with us?

Do we have to join in the mad rush for breakfast each day or can you have breakfast served in your room? If so does this incur extra costs?

The dividers between balconies can be opened. It is down to the cabin steward to unlock them for you, just ask him/her. Breakfast is generally a bun fight in the buffet during peak hours. I prefer going to the main dining room allocated for breakfast early on, a bit later it gets busier but you can have your own table or share with other cruisers. It's more relaxed as you are getting full waiter service at a table which has been given to you. Room service breakfast is free but I though a charge for cooked items had come in. Can anyone clarify this point.

Fruit juice is served at breakfast in MDR and room service as I recall. I suggest ordering lots and bottling it up and putting it in your fridge. Additional drink may be taken on board at Southampton and also that purchased at ports.

Regards John

Our son who is 14 is rather fussy about what he drinks and has only water and apple juice. How easily are these obtainable on board,at what cost,and are we able to take a supply of each on board with us?

Do we have to join in the mad rush for breakfast each day or can you have breakfast served in your room? If so does this incur extra costs?

Apple juice is free at breakfast and the tap water on board is drinkable, though bottled water is also available at cost (about £1.60 for 500ml or a couple of quid for 1.5litres). Apple juice is also available from any of the bars, etc. (as I recall Appletiser for the sparkling variety and a pressed cloudy apple).

Hope you have a great time, the fjords are wonderful.

Our trip on Britannia was a very busy cruise but we ended up having breakfast in the buffet every morning,yes it was busy at times but I wouldn't call it mad,it is a large area on Britannia,downside of that is you can do some walking!,but we found that being able to see what was on offer meant we were choosing different things each day which suited us.

The apple juice in the bars is a cloudy variety which may not be to your sons taste, they used to do cans of 'ordinary' apple juice but no longer stock these. They will serve from a carton if you ask if they have it available but we tend to take on a couple of litres and keep it in the fridge. The apple juice at breakfast is more conventional so you can stock up then, just don't fill your bottles from the machine, use a glass and decant.

The apple juice in the bars is a cloudy variety which may not be to your sons taste, they used to do cans of 'ordinary' apple juice but no longer stock these. They will serve from a carton if you ask if they have it available but we tend to take on a couple of litres and keep it in the fridge. The apple juice at breakfast is more conventional so you can stock up then, just don't fill your bottles from the machine, use a glass and decant.

Thanks. Thats good to know. He isnt a lover of cloudy so will take a few litre cartons on with us

We were on Britannia at Xmas and had friends in the next cabin. The steward opened our balcony dividing door but we found that due to the shape, it stuck out over the next balcony door, and our friends found that it obstructed getting in and out of the cabin and banged their heads a few times, before we had it shut again. As the balconies are small, opening the dividing door does impact on the space on the balcony it opens into.

You can take juice / water / pop on board. There is juice at breakfast but it’s the concentrated stuff they add water to. You could take a glass or two to your cabin and keep it on the fridge to drink during the day.

You can also buy drinks in port, but be aware that Norway is expensive.

Have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums