Aft-facing balcony NA $ advice please!

EeyoreFan1967

Hi, cruisers!!

We are currently booked in a VD category on deck 7 for our Alaska cruise, but I've recently learned that Aft-facing balconies are a big thing to some and I am way intrigued (relative newbie)! I'm getting in touch with my TA for pricing and availability.

My question is, for a 7 day cruise, how much more per person would you expect to pay for a VB aft-facing vs VD balcony. Also, are the aft-facing balconies significantly bigger on NA? Will will have 4 people using it (though we have an inside cabin for the other 2 adults to sleep and bathe in) so we could use a little extra space. Does deck matter (not sure what choice we will have)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Eeyore

You should be able to see the pricing on the HAL website.

They won't discount them.

I'm getting a quote from a TA and it's different from what I am able to see on the website. Since I booked my fare more than a year ago and did not check the difference in fares from one category to another, and the category I am currently in is sold-out, I am unable to do a price comparison of the two fares except for what I am being quoted. So what I guess I'm hoping to find out from vets is what would be the usual difference in fares between these two category cabins. Ultimately I know it comes down to what we are willing to pay for the upgrade, but just want to know if it's a reasonable fare hike.

Thanks again!

The current price of the aft cabin that is shown on the website is what you will pay to upgrade, REGARDLESS of how much you paid for the VD cat. So, just deduct the price of what you booked from the current price of the aft and there's your difference.

The current price of the aft cabin that is shown on the website is what you will pay to upgrade, REGARDLESS of how much you paid for the VD cat. So, just deduct the price of what you booked from the current price of the aft and there's your difference.

Thank you. I know how to calculate the difference in my quote for my specific cruise.

My question is referring to the usual? expected? reasonable? difference between these two categories from people who have priced out both for a 7 day cruise under the same promotion. I guess my question is really moot anyway. The quote is what it is, I just have to decide if the difference is worth it to me.

Specifically, a year ago when I booked my cruise, I didn't consider an aft-facing balcony, so I didn't price it out. I don't know if it would have cost $50 more per person or $250 more per person. So now I am getting a quote from my TA for about $150 more per person. Is this normal for 7 days? Ultimately I have to decide if I think it's worth it for my family, but I thought I might get an idea from the vets if this sounds like the right ball park.

Thanks again.

So now I am getting a quote from my TA for about $150 more per person. Is this normal for 7 days? Ultimately I have to decide if I think it's worth it for my family, but I thought I might get an idea from the vets if this sounds like the right ball park.

Thanks again.

for a 2 category upgrade - I think $150pp sounds kind of high, IMO. I might do it anyway because I love the aft cabins.

If you're looking for more room - see if 4166 or 4168 are available on your sailing. They are priced as VB's but actually have a double wide balcony... which will be great for 4 of you to enjoy. THAT would be more than worth the $300 upgrade.

Other thought is - how far away is your sailing? would you want to hold out for a possible upsell to an SY or SS?... much bigger balcony than an aft and a bigger room for you also.

Whatever you decide - ENJOY!!

We like the aft cabins but they are not necessarily for everybody. Some say they can feel vibration and that the motion of the ocean is a little different. But we love that view. We’d pay $300 but that’s us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

for a 2 category upgrade - I think $150pp sounds kind of high, IMO. I might do it anyway because I love the aft cabins.

If you're looking for more room - see if 4166 or 4168 are available on your sailing. They are priced as VB's but actually have a double wide balcony... which will be great for 4 of you to enjoy. THAT would be more than worth the $300 upgrade.

Other thought is - how far away is your sailing? would you want to hold out for a possible upsell to an SY or SS?... much bigger balcony than an aft and a bigger room for you also.

Whatever you decide - ENJOY!!

Thanks this what I was wondering. Feels high but might be worth it anyway. Will look into those specific cabins you suggest.

Regarding the potential upsell...any estimate on what that would look like price-wise? Though I suspect it would be more than we could do.

Thanks again!

We’ve had both VB aft as well as Neptune Suite aft wrap around cabins on the Nieuw Amsterdam and believe $300 is well worth it for the aft experience. The balcony depth on this ship is not great but suitable for 4 people for cocktails and conversation. We’ve had dinner for 4 by room service in the Neptune aft Suite and that was a little tight but still very enjoyable. If you see a good deal to upgrade to these suites, it will spoil you forever.

Either way once you go aft, you never go back. We are booked in VB aft staterooms on the Eurodam next month and the Oosterdam in September.

Enjoy your cruise!

We like the aft cabins but they are not necessarily for everybody. Some say they can feel vibration and that the motion of the ocean is a little different. But we love that view. We’d pay $300 but that’s us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks! We have been researching that vibration thing and it seems to be mostly during high turbulence and or port maneuvering. I don't think that would bother us and I believe that the view and slightly larger balcony would make up for some vibration. Thanks for your opinion!!

We’ve had both VB aft as well as Neptune Suite aft wrap around cabins on the Nieuw Amsterdam and believe $300 is well worth it for the aft experience. The balcony depth on this ship is not great but suitable for 4 people for cocktails and conversation. We’ve had dinner for 4 by room service in the Neptune aft Suite and that was a little tight but still very enjoyable. If you see a good deal to upgrade to these suites, it will spoil you forever.

Either way once you go aft, you never go back. We are booked in VB aft staterooms on the Eurodam next month and the Oosterdam in September.

Enjoy your cruise!

So it turns out the only VB availability is the "guarantee" at $300 more than what we are paying for the cabin we selected so we're not going to risk it. Id be mad if we just got the same room we already have but midship. We are about 1 month away from final payment and 4 months from the cruise. We will cross our fingers in hopes of that upsell!!

Thanks this what I was wondering. Feels high but might be worth it anyway. Will look into those specific cabins you suggest.

Regarding the potential upsell...any estimate on what that would look like price-wise? Though I suspect it would be more than we could do.

Thanks again!

About 2 weeks before my New Year's Cruise in 2016 I got an offer for VF guarantee to SS for $200 per person.

My sister left today on the Veendam and had 3 different upsale offers -outside guarantee to Lanai for $59 or to verandah guarantee for $199... a few days later to verandah for $149... then a week later the verandah for $99... she took the last offer. And got an aft facing cabin... since she booked so late I'm jealous to say it ended up being under $600 for 7 day balcony.

So best I can tell you - it goes by the law of supply and demand... if the ship is very unsold (like my sister's) - they'll take what they can get to improve the income for that sailing. If the ship is mostly sold, they might still make the offer, but the number of rooms might be limited and the cost might not be worth it.

So it turns out the only VB availability is the "guarantee" at $300 more than what we are paying for the cabin we selected so we're not going to risk it. Id be mad if we just got the same room we already have but midship. We are about 1 month away from final payment and 4 months from the cruise. We will cross our fingers in hopes of that upsell!!

I'm surprised they won't let you pick a cabin at this point for that category.

Since you're before final payment - look into cancelling your booking and rebooking in the 4166 or whatever one you want. Things to keep in mind - you would likely loose any promotions you were promised when you initially booked, and you would pay the current rate.

About 2 weeks before my New Year's Cruise in 2016 I got an offer for VF guarantee to SS for $200 per person.

My sister left today on the Veendam and had 3 different upsale offers -outside guarantee to Lanai for $59 or to verandah guarantee for $199... a few days later to verandah for $149... then a week later the verandah for $99... she took the last offer. And got an aft facing cabin... since she booked so late I'm jealous to say it ended up being under $600 for 7 day balcony.

So best I can tell you - it goes by the law of supply and demand... if the ship is very unsold (like my sister's) - they'll take what they can get to improve the income for that sailing. If the ship is mostly sold, they might still make the offer, but the number of rooms might be limited and the cost might not be worth it.

I'm surprised they won't let you pick a cabin at this point for that category.

Since you're before final payment - look into cancelling your booking and rebooking in the 4166 or whatever one you want. Things to keep in mind - you would likely loose any promotions you were promised when you initially booked, and you would pay the current rate.

At the rate of $150 pp more than what I paid for my VD I can cancel and rebook a VB guarantee. I CAN select my room if I cancel and rebook at a much higher rate still...I think it worked out to around $325 pp when I figured in the OBC difference. And the selection is very limited. These prices are two different TA sales. I think the second more expensive option is the view and verandah sale through HAL which doesn't help me because my category is sold out and the higher categories have increased much in price. At least that is how I understand it.

At this point I'm feeling great with the VD we booked and will wait and see what happens with upsells. I told my TA we are interested and will keep gently reminding him. I do know our sailing is very close to sold out except for suites...insides sold out for months already...so if upsells are available they will probably disappear really fast so I have to be ready when/if it happens!

Thanks again for the advice!

My opinion only but I think you have made the correct decision. Aft verandas on some cruises can be well worth it but on an Alaskan cruise I personally don't feel it would be worth the extra money. You, I assume, will be spending a good deal of time off the ship at the ports where you are stopping rather than sitting on your balcony watching the world pass as you sail along. If they offer some kind of up-sell to a suite you could consider it but since there will only be 2 of you in the stateroom even that might not be worth spending the extra money on. There are lots of places onboard where the 4 of you can gather without having to worry about the weather or a noisy crowd of other people. Were this a warm weather Caribbean cruise the aft balcony and the available time to use it would be a completely different situation.

My opinion only but I think you have made the correct decision. Aft verandas on some cruises can be well worth it but on an Alaskan cruise I personally don't feel it would be worth the extra money. You, I assume, will be spending a good deal of time off the ship at the ports where you are stopping rather than sitting on your balcony watching the world pass as you sail along. If they offer some kind of up-sell to a suite you could consider it but since there will only be 2 of you in the stateroom even that might not be worth spending the extra money on. There are lots of places onboard where the 4 of you can gather without having to worry about the weather or a noisy crowd of other people. Were this a warm weather Caribbean cruise the aft balcony and the available time to use it would be a completely different situation.

Thanks! This makes me feel better!

My sister and I had a Neptune Suite on Deck 6 on the Noordam sailing to Alaska in 2016. It was so beautiful to have the rear facing deck and watch Vancouver fade away. Ditto for our other ports and it was great if you are into watching for Orcas and other whales. We saw many. Glacier Bay was also spectacular as we were only one of 2 ships in the area that day. We had 3 360 turns in the bay and the balcony goes around the corner to better follow the action. We are light sleepers and the engines were not that noisy and gentle vibration was barely noticeable. We had extremely rough seas one evening and it was as steady as the rest of the ship (not saying much).

My sister and I had a Neptune Suite on Deck 6 on the Noordam sailing to Alaska in 2016. It was so beautiful to have the rear facing deck and watch Vancouver fade away. Ditto for our other ports and it was great if you are into watching for Orcas and other whales. We saw many. Glacier Bay was also spectacular as we were only one of 2 ships in the area that day. We had 3 360 turns in the bay and the balcony goes around the corner to better follow the action. We are light sleepers and the engines were not that noisy and gentle vibration was barely noticeable. We had extremely rough seas one evening and it was as steady as the rest of the ship (not saying much).

Sounds amazing!

• 3 weeks later...