Cruise Card

ausbod

Does anyone know what information is embedded into

the cruisecard we use on board ship. My credit card got

scammed and it was totally raid protected the entire time

before and after the cruise. The first transaction was the

second day of the cruise. Same thing happened to our

Traveling companions. Credit cards were not taken ashore but in safe until disembarkation. Same thing

Happened to us on a P&O ship two years ago.

Anyone else had this problem?

Don’t know but there is no legitimate reason they would have credit card information embedded on your card. All it should need is cabin (for opening door) and folio (for charges) and the expiration date (end of cruise). Can’t really think of anything else that needs to be there (beverage package and the like might be there but that really should all just be attached to the folio).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your photograph and any age restriction are also embedded in the card. But if you had registered the credit card to be used to pay onboard charges in the Cruise Personalizer before boarding then your card was likely not swiped anywhere on board (unless you purchased an FCD, and maybe not even then).

Did you and your companions book through the same Travel Agent? Could easily be that the TA was hacked at some point and the crooks know to wait until your holiday starts before using your account--or more likely selling it to someone else. Here in the USA while there certainly is skimming done in tourist destinations, most credit card fraud is the result of coordinated identity theft and the selling of your history on the dark web. So the moment of scamming could have been many months ago, and not coincidentally surfacing when you are away from home.

We both booked online at different times. Just seems a coincidence it

Happened to both of us - my friend on day one of the cruise and mine started on day two. Both cards were locked into our respective stateroom

Safes for the duration hence no charges, except for the last day folio total

Charge by Princess. We also bank with different organizations and at check in no one asked for our card. Both were protected by a Korjo

White sleeve. Very messy process trying to sort this out now as we both

Are getting new cards. Also now in contact with Princess as to how their

Final payment will be processed given the cards had to be cancelled

Before they processed it on disembarkation day.

Thanks for you input.

Your photograph and any age restriction are also embedded in the card. But if you had registered the credit card to be used to pay onboard charges in the Cruise Personalizer before boarding then your card was likely not swiped anywhere on board (unless you purchased an FCD, and maybe not even then).

No. What is on the card is a link to your information that is stored on the ship's computers which have the photo. There is no photo stored on the card. No credit card info on the card. Etc.

And the basic age group (younger than 18, at least 18 but not 21, and 21 and older) is printed on the front of the card.

You are given the cruise card in the terminal and then your photo is taken by a crew member when you first board the ship. There is no way your photo can be on your cruise card unless they reprogam it after you board which they do not. You can go to the PSD and ask that your credit card be changed to a new credit card which they will do. Your cruise card is not changed at that time which implies that the information is not stored on your cruise card. The credit card info is stored on their computer and is accessed by your folio number stored on your cruise card. There is no need to store anything else on your cruise card other than name and folio number. It was just a coincidence that the OP and cruise partners had their cards hacked. I would look to see where they were used the few days before boarding.

In my own experience on our last voyage, my credit card was hacked and used but on the day we boarded. The difference in my case it was not the credit card I used to cover my ship experiences. So it could not have been that credit card. My credit card issuer recognized the unauthorized charge immediately and contacted me. In all two charges were denied and the card was canceled after they contacted me.

It can be months after a data breach before any of the data is used. It's possible that both you and your friends were hit in a data breach last year and the hackers were just getting around to using the data while you were on the cruise. Bit of a coincidence, but as others said, no credit card info is stored on your cruise card.