A Video: What I Hated and What I Loved About MSC Seaside

Spaniel Lover

Actually deck 16 is in fact the dinner buffet.

MSC expects that the majority of people of guests will be eating in the MDR so the smaller buffet on 16 is the only one open at dinner. The larger buffet on 8 is closed as the dining area is use as a MDR for Bella passengers.

The annoyed JimZim because him and his wife don't like sitting together very long and have nothing to talk about after 35 years of marriage and as a result never eat in the MDR.

After 9pm the 16th deck buffet has more of an evening snack or dessert layout. We would often take the kids there for a little snack before bed.

Was this necessary? Wouldn't it be better if those on the MSC forum participated in constructive dialog?

Was this necessary? Wouldn't it be better if those on the MSC forum participated in constructive dialog?

He actually mentions it explicitly in one of his videos as to why him and his wife eat in the buffet for all meals.

So when you read his reviews about the food quality you have to realize that he never eats in the MDR. MSC is focused around eating dinner in the MDR so their buffets are not setup for as many people as they would on other lines. Just take his reviews with a grain of salt and with his personal preference in mind.

hotwired ... I think we were talking at cross purposes, I was saying that the Deck 8 Buffet is the evening Dinner venue, while you are saying that Deck 16 is the venue for those not wanting to go to any of the 3 main Dining areas.

He actually mentions it explicitly in one of his videos as to why him and his wife eat in the buffet for all meals.

So when you read his reviews about the food quality you have to realize that he never eats in the MDR. MSC is focused around eating dinner in the MDR so their buffets are not setup for as many people as they would on other lines. Just take his reviews with a grain of salt and with his personal preference in mind.

That's entirely fair.

I agree with the bold 100%. Some of JimZim's preferences aren't mine either, so I take what is relevant and THANK Jimzim for his contributions.

hotwired ... I think we were talking at cross purposes, I was saying that the Deck 8 Buffet is the evening Dinner venue, while you are saying that Deck 16 is the venue for those not wanting to go to any of the 3 main Dining areas.

My apologies.

To clarify. At dinner. The only buffet open is on deck 16. The deck 8 buffet is closed and the seating is used as a MDR for Bella guests.

That's entirely fair.

I agree with the bold 100%. Some of JimZim's preferences aren't mine either, so I take what is relevant and THANK Jimzim for his contributions.

Agreed. My preferences are quite different from JimZim but since he explains everything in such detail the reader can make up their own mind. So I don’t worry about crappy buffet dinner, as we are MDR types. I don’t worry about the food, as we are not Hard Rock Cafe or Margaritaville type dinners. But those who are, are forewarned.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks to Jim Zim for his review; I think it's helpful for people considering MSC from an American cruiser perspective, to be forewarned & consider what may be different.

Circumstances can change what's important. My wife likes a MDR experience, and I don't much care either way (can enjoy MDR or buffet), but our active, strong-willed preschooler is not a 2-hour meal kind of kid . Our cruises with her have all been Royal Caribbean, and mostly eating in the buffet.

We haven't cruised MSC. It's reputation for providing a quality product for a value price and recent practice of status-matching with Royal's loyalty program makes me think we may one day 'jump ship' (guessing that's in the running for tiredest pun on Cruise Critic) & give it a try. Knowing the differences in advance would be very helpful for us.

Richard.

Thanks to Jim Zim for his review; I think it's helpful for people considering MSC from an American cruiser perspective, to be forewarned & consider what may be different.

Circumstances can change what's important. My wife likes a MDR experience, and I don't much care either way (can enjoy MDR or buffet), but our active, strong-willed preschooler is not a 2-hour meal kind of kid . Our cruises with her have all been Royal Caribbean, and mostly eating in the buffet.

We haven't cruised MSC. It's reputation for providing a quality product for a value price and recent practice of status-matching with Royal's loyalty program makes me think we may one day 'jump ship' (guessing that's in the running for tiredest pun on Cruise Critic) & give it a try. Knowing the differences in advance would be very helpful for us.

Richard.

On any cruise line I went dinner takes 1.5 hour min. You can always tell your waiter you want it fast because of your child and they will try to make it faster.

Hello Jaco5NC,

Your questions is very interesting to me. The short answer is, what about my input do you find negative (as opposed to constructive criticism)?

OP: sorry that was so long winded, but you posed a question that I have been contimplating myself lately and we all know I have a tendency to go on, and on, and on... :).[/font][/color]

Hello BermudaBound,

Thank you for taking the time to explain yourself. I did read through your response entirely and it does seem you come from a good place trying to warn others of things they may not like (or like). I personally would only take reviews, thoughts, comments and experiences seriously from people who have actually stepped foot on the ship I am considering (as I had assumed you had). We have cruised quite a lot in all different categories. Every ship has had similarities but have also been very different experiences every time - Even within the same cruiseline. Again, I appreciate where you are coming from. Happy cruising!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry, but I'm not convinced. My wrinkled stuff gets steamed in the bathroom with the shower on hot. I can't imagine a lady with an expensive garment using a self serve laundromat. Or hardly anyone else hanging around the laundromat waiting for their stuff to be done. And how many self serve laundries would a ship have to have for one to be right down the hall? One on each deck?

I like the NCL approach where you can send a bag of dirty stuff out for a set price regardless of what you put in it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Well I hate to tell you I am one of those people who will use a self service laundry on a cruise, but I refuse to send anything to the ship laundry for someone else to do them. Often I like to be able to take home clean clothes in my suitcase rather than a full case of dirty ones. Would also allow me to pack less as I could launder mid way through the sailing and rewear some of the clothing articles. Never had an issue getting up early and doing a load before breakfast.

I refuse to give my clothing to the ship as I also don't like my stuff dried on super high heat, which I find tends to ruin them.

I too also understand the concept of some liking the buffet as a dinner option. Some may have kids, some may prefer to not eat with strangers, others might like to order whatever they want without feeling judged. Some the dining room service is just too slow. Personally I like the leisurely dinner and if we are in a hurry for a show we just tend to skip over deserts.