Haines vs Skagway - and train question

Sunshinern1

We are sailing on Holland on southbound cruise after land tour in Fairbanks , Denali and anchorage , need help with advice , wii be in Haines on June 6 th , all tours there appear as if they need salmon to be in rivers so bear and eagles would be around ??? Any trips in Haines that you recommend or husband is interested in train in Skagway ? Will the White pass RR be any different than the train ride from Denali to Seward??? Please let me know what you have done and recommend. Would love to see wildlife too !

We are sailing on Holland on southbound cruise after land tour in Fairbanks , Denali and anchorage , need help with advice , wii be in Haines on June 6 th , all tours there appear as if they need salmon to be in rivers so bear and eagles would be around ??? Any trips in Haines that you recommend or husband is interested in train in Skagway ? Will the White pass RR be any different than the train ride from Denali to Seward??? Please let me know what you have done and recommend. Would love to see wildlife too !

We rented a car in Haines and went to the Kroschel Wildlife Center, Chilkoot Lake and Chilkat State Park and drove part of the Haines Highway. We enjoyed Haines and the scenery. It is not commercialized like some of the more visited ports.

The train in Skagway is quite a bit different in both scenery and history from the Alaska Railroad. I found both enjoyable. In Skagway we did a bus / train combo to Emerald Lake with Chilkoot Tours and enjoyed it. Depending on your port times, that tour may not be possible from Haines since you have to take the ferry to / from Skagway. This would be one of the few times I would consider booking through the ship, due to the time and logistics of getting back to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The train ride to Denali is on relatively flat ground with mountains in the distance. The train ride out of Skagway is up (or down) the mountain through the White Pass and into the Yukon. As you get to the summit the terrain is best described as otherworldly.

I can second the recommendation of Chilkoot. We (a group of 6) used them in 2012 and this summer we (group of 4) will use them again. In 2012 we did the train portion first (returned via van) and Chilkoot had the last car on the train so we had magnificent views looking down on Skagway as we went up the mountains. We are doing the trip in the same order this summer and I hope they still reserve the last car.

The train ride to Denali is on relatively flat ground with mountains in the distance. The train ride out of Skagway is up (or down) the mountain through the White Pass and into the Yukon. As you get to the summit the terrain is best described as otherworldly.

I can second the recommendation of Chilkoot. We (a group of 6) used them in 2012 and this summer we (group of 4) will use them again. In 2012 we did the train portion first (returned via van) and Chilkoot had the last car on the train so we had magnificent views looking down on Skagway as we went up the mountains. We are doing the trip in the same order this summer and I hope they still reserve the last car.

Skagway train is up in the mountains (2000 - 3000 feet:

P5190254.jpg

A great option in Haines is a flight over Glacier Bay with Mountain Flying. I've done this twice and loved it. Renting a car and just driving down the highway for a while is a decent option Not many cruises stop in Haines, I would visit this area and save Skagway for another cruise

The White Pass and Yukon RR is a different excursion than the Alaskan Rail Road in the fact you're on the same route the Stampeders took to the goldfields. It's all about the history of the Gold Rush and if you can, visit the Park Service in town before the train ride. They have free movies about the Gold Rush and how they built the train over the summit. You'll have a better understanding before you get on the train.

As far as Skagway over Haines, well Skagway has much more to do so if you haven't been to either one, Skagway might be the better choice. When we were on the Glacier Point Wilderness Tour, the kids who guided the tours called it SkagVegas.:D

In Haines is a local who does fishing charters - salmon and/or trout. His name is Ron Malone and has "9 Fingers Charters" there. Here is a link to where I put some photos from a fishing trip last year. He's a great guy and likes the idea of showing people the real Alaska, not the TV Alaska.

9 Fingers Charters

I haven't ridden the train from Denali to Seward but have driven that route. I have ridden the train at Skagway. I would estimate that the difference is significant. What I would guess is the most scenic part of the Denali/Seward train ride would be from Anchorage on to Seward - that track pretty much follows along the highway part of the way.

Good luck! You'll love Alaska!

. . . As far as Skagway over Haines, well Skagway has much more to do so if you haven't been to either one, Skagway might be the better choice. When we were on the Glacier Point Wilderness Tour, the kids who guided the tours called it SkagVegas.:D
The Glacier Point Wilderness Safari is also run out of Haines, which is much closer to the Davidson Glacier than Skagway is. We're doing that excursion in June, from Haines. It's highly rated.

That's a funny description of Skagway, and after four visits there, I can see that.

The Glacier Point Wilderness Safari is also run out of Haines, which is much closer to the Davidson Glacier than Skagway is. We're doing that excursion in June, from Haines. It's highly rated.

That's a funny description of Skagway, and after four visits there, I can see that.

You will have a GREAT time on the Glacier Point excursion! It's one of our favorites up there.(y)

It is only run out of Haines when a cruise line charters it. If your cruise doesn't offer the excursion, it only runs out of Skagway. I called to ask and that's what they told me.

Have you checked the fast ferry schedule for June 6? Some days, it seems more designed to meet the needs of cruise passengers docked in Skagway who want to get to Haines. It gets better as the season goes on because they run more often, but even then it varies from day to day (possible based on how many ships are in).

• 3 weeks later...

Great info being shared here -- we've been to Skagway twice -- first time took a 2 hour hike and float trip and loved loved being in the 'wilderness' in May - second time we took the White Pass Railroad in late July and loved loved the scenery ! So -- I've been wondering how Haines would compare should we choose an itinerary with Haines and not Skagway -- appreciate you knowledgeable folks sharing!

Great info being shared here -- we've been to Skagway twice -- first time took a 2 hour hike and float trip and loved loved being in the 'wilderness' in May - second time we took the White Pass Railroad in late July and loved loved the scenery ! So -- I've been wondering how Haines would compare should we choose an itinerary with Haines and not Skagway -- appreciate you knowledgeable folks sharing!

Haines is much less commercialized than Skagway and offers beautiful scenery. You can easily get to Haines from Skagway (or vice versa) via the fast ferry, so it is not required that you book an itinerary with Haines to visit.

I would research Haines and see if you find things that interest you. If your ship stops in Haines, I recommend renting a car (see my previous post). If you will be coming from Skagway, it may be best to book a tour through the ship to Haines. That way the ship will wait for you if there are any delays in getting back on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

These 2 ports are very different and each certainly is well worth your time.

The Alaska RR is of no comparison to the White Pass- which is loaded with history, engineering and scenic highlights. For rail fans, a "must do", for the narrow gage.

The scenic portion of your cruise tour, is Anchorage to Seward. It depends WHAT train you are on? Frankly- it's a poor choice to go with the cruise contracted schedule, with the regular run a much more favorable option. The cruise contracted doesn't allow you time for Anchorage or Seward. The regular schedule gets you into Seward early and allows you touring. I'm a clear advocate of taking advantage of being there. Such a shame to just pass through in my opinion.