Dancing

Tennant

We are planning a trip on Celebrity and my grandparents who are avid ballroom dancers are very hesitant to go due to the lack of live entertainment for dancing on Celebrity these days.

Can any dancers out there comment on your experiences?

We cruised recently on Celebrity but didn’t pay that much attention!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't answer your question, but I'm going to follow along. Although we don't claim to be great ballroom dancers, we have studied for a few years and have an upcoming cruise on the Equinox. I'm hoping we have the opportunity to dance. We've sailed mostly on RCCL and have been disappointed in the dance opportunities.

The only dancing I have ever seen on Celebrity is when a DJ plays or a house band plays.

Neither play anything remotely similar to ballroom type dancing. They may have to go on theme type cruises that are specific for ballroom dancers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I love dancing and always manage to dance my way through most of my cruises. However ballroom dancing is not seen so often now except at the cocktail party and often in the atrium most evenings.

If they are looking for a more formal approach then maybe they need a themed cruise

We are presently on Equinox and are very happy with the two bands on board. Both bands generally start off with a few slow numbers, fox trot, rhumba and an occasional waltz and then go to faster stuff as time progresses.

There is one couple that we've seen on two cruises who always do ballroom dancing to the house band in the .... Sky lounge? The big room on deck 11, whatever it's called.

Anyway, these two managed to dance ballroom style to a lot of songs and then sat out the ones that were too fast.

We enjoy all types of dancing. Celebrity tends to have live music in Atrium and Sky lounge. Only slight problem is dance floors are quite small for progressive dances, but ok for others.

If you want proper dance floors and dance bands then Cunard ships or P&O Britannia are best. The Radiance class ships on RCCI also have dance floors but last time we found that they were not always used for dance music.

If you are a "dance" fanatic, you dont cruise Celebrity for that reason. Yes in the Sky Lounge you may have some functions such as the Captains Club toast where you would get some ballroom dancing but for the most part its non-existent. Dancing in the foyer area is a joke!

• Like 1

We are presently on Equinox and are very happy with the two bands on board. Both bands generally start off with a few slow numbers, fox trot, rhumba and an occasional waltz and then go to faster stuff as time progresses.

Any Caribbean bands onboard? Sailing on the Equinox in a few weeks!

• 2 weeks later...

We were on Celebrity Eclipse and Reflection. Ballroom dancing music wasn’t played. Sometimes the band played Cha Cha, American Rumba. More Hustle music though. But the floor is not hardwood and is not good for your knees. We love ballroom dancing during our cruise. so, no more Celebrity cruises for us. We prefer Cunard ships more. Princess is also ok.

I'm a ballroom dancer and have been on 2 S class ships. We sail Princess a lot too, and it's much better for dancing. The only wood floor we found was an exercise room. They did have a little bit of ballroom music occasionally in the atrium.

The new Princess ships are similar to these, with no real dance venues.

Sorry to say, minimal space for ballroom dancing and minimal traditional mix of music. We do rhumba, cha cha and swing with an occasional slow dance. Essentially no waltz, no quick step, no tango etc. Small stone floor in atrium and occasionally/rarely they have music in the sky lounge at night that is somewhat danceable with a slightly larger wooden floor. Varies by ship and sailing and the bands they have on board. Late night becomes "no-dance" dance music for ballroom dancers who understand the rules of the dancefloor for movement etc. Lots of contemporary music and non-couples dancing. My husband and I can still have fun, but it is not a "ballroom" experience. Have never tried Cunard, but maybe one day.

While we are hardly accomplished ballroom dancers, we do enjoy dancing in the atrium before dinner. There usually is a mix of fox trot, swing, cha cha and an occasional waltz.

On Evening Chic nights there is also the challenge of trying to dance while avoiding the folks who line up on the dance floor while waiting to have their picture taken on the stairway.

The only dancing I have ever seen on Celebrity is when a DJ plays or a house band plays.

Neither play anything remotely similar to ballroom type dancing. They may have to go on theme type cruises that are specific for ballroom dancers.

On Celebrity Solstice Class ships, depending on the length of the cruise, the ship's orchestra will play one or two sets per cruise, usually on the third floor of the atrium. Their music is ball room-friendly. Read your daily activities folder with an eagle eye to learn when the orchestra will treat passengers to a forty-five minute set.

• 9 months later...
On 2/15/2018 at 12:59 PM, Tennant said:

We are planning a trip on Celebrity and my grandparents who are avid ballroom dancers are very hesitant to go due to the lack of live entertainment for dancing on Celebrity these days.

Thanks!

This might be a bit late, but the Koningsdam and the upcoming Nieuw Statendam have beautiful venues called the "queens room" much like on Cunard. They have a house band that plays all sorts of ballroom music. It's nice to hear that someone at Holland America heard people complaining when they said they'd take away ballroom dancing from their cruises.

The dance group I go with is going on the Nieuw Statendam in April of 2019.

On 2/15/2018 at 12:59 PM, Tennant said:

Thanks!

You don't sail Celebrity for the dancing.  The floors are small and there is little ballroom music.  Friends of ours went on a ballroom dancing cruise and loved it.  Your grandparents should be hesitant.