Oceania price protection- WOW!

Petoonya

My one and only experience on Oceania was a Barcelona to Venice in May of 2005. I was swept off my feet by Oceania in every way.

But this is truly amazing.

I booked a 10 day transatlantic a few weeks ago for 2007 Barbados to Barcelona at a terrific price. We love transoceanics- feel like we get a real break from work. When the changes to the itinerary were announced this week we were not too sure just what we'd do- felt we certainly would lose our great pricing as the new itinerary was 14 days.

My fantastic agent just called. Oceania is protecting our price. This is absolutely unbelievable. Have had this happen with Celebrity before and price protection has/would never happened/happen.

Thank you Oceania. Thank you wonderful TA!!!!

Can't even give a hint... oh please. We all know people do that here and that there are TA's that regularly submit replies and I might add, much useful info.

I am not suggesting rules get blatantly rejected, but bending a tad would be appreciated, to those who are looking for some help.

Perhaps your experience with Celebrity was isolated to a particular cruise/itinerary change?

In October 2004, I had a 7-night Mexican Riviera cruise aboard Celebrity Mercury turn into an 11-night cruise about 6 months out. They honored our original price and transfered our reservation to the new cruise. We sailed in an oceanview for 11-nights for only $750pp :-)

Bustaty...you might want to take a peek at the community guidelines but here's the important part. We are not even allowed to give any hints, altho I am sure thats frustrating for many. I am already running the risk that Laura will remove this whole thread.

" UPDATED REMINDER: Community Guideline Regarding Travel Agent Recommendations

The third-party recommendation of travel agents and agencies is not allowed on Cruise Critic's Message Board forums.

Posts recommending (or warning against) travel agents, travel agencies, cruise-only agencies, travel/cruise brokers, or any other source where consumer can purchase travel will be removed from the boards. This also includes any comments included in signatures requesting members to e-mail you for information about your travel agencies."

Additionally, posts by members requesting such information will be removed., so please don't ask . "

And Gary- I am not knocking Celebrity at all. They have always treated me extremely well and I will continue to cruise with them. Two sailings that I had under deposit, one about three years ago and the other five, had major changes, similar to this one, and I was not protected. This is why I never even considered that Oceania would do it. Infact when my agent told me this one was going to change I was already looking at alternatives.

I have received "exceeding expectations" service from Celebrity so I am not knocking them. :) I love Celebrity! But I am impressed with this action by Oceania.

Thanks for pointing out the Guidelines, which I have read. However, I have seen recommendations made here numerous times, in my short time, to know they don't usually get pulled, at least not before they have had a fair viewing audience.

Don't think you run any risk of this thread being pulled, nothing offensive in the least.

People recommend tour guides, hotels, airlines, I personally don't see what big deal is. However, the rules are the rules.

How long are you going to let jan from ***** use this forum for advertising?????

I, for one, would like to thank Jan for acting as an ombudsman (ombusdwoman?) regarding Oceania. She enjoys a very close relationship with Oceania's top management, and her input to this board has proven invaluable on numerous occasions. I quite frankly fail to understand the criticism that she uses this forum for advertising. The fact that she is a travel agent shouldn't come as a surprise; in fact, several contributors to many of these boards are TA's.

Please, Jan, continue to provide the excellent, timely and useful information that you have always proferred.

Mike

I'll try again - previous attempt resulted in "screen freeze".

MikeBrill - as one Michael to another, I agree with you re Jan and her travel industry connection. It has never bothered me; she has been a good source of information, and resultant feedback from Oceania's higher echelons.

She enjoys a very close relationship with Oceania's top management,......

Mike

Goes to credibility as a tout... she makes her living from selling that product, especially since she only represents Oceania, Radisson and Viking River. I am sure, in her view, from her pocketbook, those lines can do no wrong.

If she was in this just to help, why does she list her agency in her signature? Why not just drop it???

post_old.gif November 30th, 2005 until January 15th, 2006

image.php?u=12750&dateline=1133453114LauraS user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_", true);

Community Manager

UPDATED REMINDER: Community Guideline Regarding Travel Agent Recommendations

The third-party recommendation of travel agents and agencies is not allowed on Cruise Critic's Message Board forums.

Posts recommending (or warning against) travel agents, travel agencies, cruise-only agencies, travel/cruise brokers, or any other source where consumer can purchase travel will be removed from the boards. This also includes any comments included in signatures requesting members to e-mail you for information about your travel agencies.

Additionally, posts by members requesting such information will be removed., so please don't ask .

However, the general discussion of the merits of using a BRICK AND MORTAR AGENCY, an INTERNET CRUISE AGENCY or purchasing from the CRUISE LINE DIRECTLY will be allowed. No recommendations for any travel source will be allowed.

Travel agents who participate on the boards are still encouraged to include their company name in their signature. We believe it is in our member's best interest to know which members are travel agents -- so you can best judge the content of their posts. (Travel Agents may not request members to e-mail them for information, or include contact information of any kind in their signatures or posts).

Finallly, Cruise Critic reserves the right to rescind the above in the event travel agents/agencies abuse this privilege.

We anticipate your cooperation, and thank you for your participation. Laura

Quite frankly I find the post from Laura to be a wee bit of an oxymoron, but this is the forum rule regarding TA.

I don't have a problem with her posting here either. All info is valuable.

Is she in someone's pocket, and leaning in one particular direction? I don't know, nor is it a concern to me. I rate all info myself.

What I do have a particular problem with is very simple... it's the use of her advertising after her name. But I guess Laura allows that. I don't think a TA would need to directly request a person to email her, when her address is documented clearly below her name.

Some people may put credence to words or opinions from a known TA, and this could be construed as advertising for a particular product. JMHO.

Thanks for pointing out the Guidelines, which I have read. However, I have seen recommendations made here numerous times, in my short time, to know they don't usually get pulled, at least not before they have had a fair viewing audience.

Don't think you run any risk of this thread being pulled, nothing offensive in the least.

People recommend tour guides, hotels, airlines, I personally don't see what big deal is. However, the rules are the rules.

I can appreciate the fact that you've seen few threads mentioning specific TA's pulled, given your "short time" here. But I've been around awhile, and let me tell you, I've seen such threads pulled faster than you can blink your eye. Cruise Critic does mean business in this case!

The best way for posters to exchange TA information and referrals is by simply emailing one another off line.

No, I'm not a TA, nor am I affiliated with any who post here, however I appreciate and understand Cruise Critic's position on the issue.

My one and only experience on Oceania was a Barcelona to Venice in May of 2005. I was swept off my feet by Oceania in every way.

But this is truly amazing.

I booked a 10 day transatlantic a few weeks ago for 2007 Barbados to Barcelona at a terrific price. We love transoceanics- feel like we get a real break from work. When the changes to the itinerary were announced this week we were not too sure just what we'd do- felt we certainly would lose our great pricing as the new itinerary was 14 days.

My fantastic agent just called. Oceania is protecting our price. This is absolutely unbelievable. Have had this happen with Celebrity before and price protection has/would never happened/happen.

Thank you Oceania. Thank you wonderful TA!!!!

Congrats on such a deal! 4 extra "free" days of cruising! We had a similar experience back in 1998 on NCL. We originally booked a 9-night cruise Honolulu-Vancouver. Next thing we knew it was 10 days. Then 12. Finally, it became a 14-night cruise....with no price increase for the additional nights.

Beav, no doubt all you say is true, given you are a veteran here and me a novice. I never checked back on the 'offending post' after maybe week, all I know is that when I have seen a Travel Company name mentioned, it did not disappear that quickly, i.e. probably lingered in system for a few days, so that is where I was wondering just 'how serious' this was. Obviously, it is.

Back to the drawing board!:)

To the best of my knowledge, if you read the passenger ticket contract (6th paragraph of Item 4. Carrier's Discretion), you'll see that Oceania has to honor the price if they extend the length of the cruise. I'm not an attorney but I'm pretty sure this would have happened no matter who the TA, or if self-booked, since I believe Jan emphasized in the post that was deleted that these were not CANCELLATIONS of cruises but CHANGES to the itinerary. Perhaps if Oceania had cancelled the cruise outright and created a brand new cruise in its place, the price would not have been honored, but based on information that I believe was included in Jan's deleted post, this was not the case for this cruise. I could be wrong because I can't verify my recollection because the post is gone! :)

Archived