Drink Package Yes or No??

cicsman

My wife and I are planning a 7 day cruise in Sept from Boston to Bermuda. Looking at getting the drink package, we I have no idea the prices of drinks on the ship and is it worth it. Can any give me an idea of the costs for cocktails on the ship.

Thanks

Mark

It's all relative to how much you drink, if you drink during the day and drink at night, then it might be worth it. The cost for the package on my cruise currently is $50, so thats $350 for the entire week, excluding an 18% gratuity added on once purchased. Probably need to rack up approximately $60 worth of drinks a day in order to some what break even.

A beer I would say can range from $7-8, cocktails depends on what kind've cocktail you want, but they range from $8-12, some of them are higher than $12. But, your drink package will only cover the initial $12.

Sorry if my math is off, maybe someone else that responds will have a better and more educated response on the pros/cons.

You will get all sorts of answers. But the correct one is "it depends." Basically, how much is the package and many drinks will you consume per day. Also, factor in not just alcoholic drinks but bottle water, juice, etc. How many port days and will you be getting off the ship? Cruise in 2016 we never got off the ship. The price of the package, at least on our last three Oasis class cruises, has continued to go up. For October 2017 I paid $52 not including 18%. I bought three packages a few months prior for the same cruise at $44. My rule of thumb would be if you are going to drink 6-8 alcoholic drinks per day then it's probably worth it even at the higher end of the price range. Add in 4-5 bottled waters per day and some latte's you have at least broke even. There is also the convenience factor.

Drink prices on the Oasis in October were about $6-7 for a beer and $12 for "call" cocktail. A decent wine by the glass is hard to come by at the package max. But you only pay the difference over the what the package covers. We have found the wines by the glass selection to have been greatly reduced over the last 3-4 years on Oasis, Allure, and Oasis.

I was able to score a drink package with VOOM for $55 a day for my upcoming cruise in March. We’re always “connected” (hubs and I) so for us it will be easy to break even. Since VOOM is $15/day by itself I’m thinking we paid about $40/day for the drink package. It will only take us 4-5 drinks a day. Keep your eye out for price drops-they change the drink package prices pretty frequently prior to sail date. Make sure you buy on line and not on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got off Anthem of the Seas today. I got a Black Friday special and the cost for 2 packages (alcohol/non-alcohol) was $42 per person, per day (plus gratuity). It was worth it for us. Beers were $6.95 (fosters oil can was $7.95). Bloody Marys were $11 and I enjoyed shaken daiquiris at Bolero's for $13 each. I also had plenty of frozen drinks but don't know their exact cost. I didn't see pricing for Mojitos but I figure they were about $10 each. The aforementioned prices do not include the 18% gratuity. I did see someone buy a bottle of water and it was over $4 with gratuity ($4.13 I think??, crazy). Keep in mind the alcohol package DID include soda, water, fresh squeezed OJ (which they charge $5 for; reg OJ free in dining room at b'fast). I like the Coke machine that mixes almost any flavored soda you can think of and you need the bev package to use them, so that's another plus for me.

On the ship they were $57/day so I saved a ton. Word of caution, buy it before you leave or after you're out of port because you'll be charged sales tax on the package if you wait until you get on the ship and buy it then (assuming the Mass. has a sales tax). The best part was not having to sign for every drink. I'd get a drink for my wife and I and just bring up the two cards (they didn't make each of us go up to get a drink). We we're treated just as great an anyone with out the package. I wasn't sure if there would be a negative feeling on the package from the crew due to a fixed gratuity but it was never an issue. IMO, if I'm close to break even I'd buy it for convenience.

Totally off topic but if you both have iPhones you can use iMessage without having to buy their texting/calling app. Saving $16 if they can't figure out a way to block iMessage by your trip. Have fun!

Edited by Nectarologist
I was on Anthem but originally put Adventure because I can't figure out the name of the ships :)

We figure when the first day sailing and 3 more days at sea, and the days in Bermuda we will be back on ship at night. Then being big water drinkers I get the feeling that at just under $750 for the week for both of us, will not take long at $11 a drink plus tips to break even. So if we average $10 a drink plus $2 tip that is work out to be about 5 to 6 drinks a day, then adding in water and special coffee's lots like a deal. the price is $45 a day plus 18%. so at $45 a day we are talking 5 drink a day and being on vacation I am sure we will make out on the deal.

Totally off topic but if you both have iPhones you can use iMessage without having to buy their texting/calling app. Saving $16 if they can't figure out a way to block iMessage by your trip. Have fun!

How? Doesn't iMessage need Wifi (or a cell signal) to work? Our family of 4 is going. We all have iPhones. I bought Voom just so we can stay connected via text on the ship.

We sail in a little under 4 weeks. In general, do the alcohol drink package prices tend to go up, stay about the same, or go down in the last month? I suppose the answer is it depends based on how RC's revenue is looking. Just curious if there are any generalities (kind of like tickets on StubHub generally drop the day of the game).

How? Doesn't iMessage need Wifi (or a cell signal) to work? Our family of 4 is going. We all have iPhones. I bought Voom just so we can stay connected via text on the ship.

This only works on Harmony and the Quantum-class ships as those have the Royal IQ apps. The Royal app and iMessage use the same network protocols, so currently Royal can't block iMessages on those ships without blocking their own app (this could change at any time).

All other ships without the IQ app blocks iMessage- you will need a wifi package to use iMessage.

Having the option to get unlimited water is making my husband and i consider the drink package. My 18 year old daughter will be with us. Does anyone know the legal drinking age aboard ship and whether she could be excluded?

21 is drinking age so she will be excluded, if you drink 4 or more drinks I would get package, package can be as cheap as 40 average price I have seen is 50. We get package even though we can go to diamond or suite lounges

Having the option to get unlimited water is making my husband and i consider the drink package. My 18 year old daughter will be with us. Does anyone know the legal drinking age aboard ship and whether she could be excluded?

The legal drinking age for ships departing from the US is 21. Gambling age is 18 except for Alaska cruises. The drinking age may be 18 for ships departing from foreign ports, but you would have to check. I'm not sure.

We sail in a little under 4 weeks. In general, do the alcohol drink package prices tend to go up, stay about the same, or go down in the last month? I suppose the answer is it depends based on how RC's revenue is looking. Just curious if there are any generalities (kind of like tickets on StubHub generally drop the day of the game).

My experience is at four weeks it will probably stay the same. I have tracked our last three cruises (one a year for last three years) drink packages usually starting 10-12 months out. Only once have I seen the drink package go down at closer than 90 days prior to sailing. Usually it was the cheapest when I started first tracking. This most recent Oasis (October 2017) it started around $44 and stayed there until mid-July then jumped to $56 and never came down. It was only $2-3 more on board. I have gotten it for as low as $36 on our Oasis in March 2015. Allure in October 2016 I think was around low-$40's.

The Deluxe Beverage Package is a value to some and not others. Use the following to estimate your per diem and that should answer your question:

RCCL Alcohol Package Breakdown:

A) Single-alcohol mixed drinks start at ~$9 each.

B) Beer/cider start ~$7 each.

C) Wine starts at ~$8 glass

D) Specialty Coffees start at ~$4.50 each.

E)Soda is $3.50.

F) Fruit juices are $3-$4.

G) Bottled water $2.50 to $3.50.

Toast to virtually unlimited options on your vacation – wake up with premium coffee, tea, and fresh-squeezed juices, then keep cool onboard with non-alcoholic drinks and bottled still and sparkling water. Relax and unwind with premium and frozen cocktails, domestic and imported beers and a wide selection of wines by the glass.* Plus, enjoy a discount of 40% off bottles of wine under $100 and 20% off bottles above $100 in bars and dining rooms.

The Deluxe Beverage Package is a value to some and not others. Use the following to estimate your per diem and that should answer your question:

RCCL Alcohol Package Breakdown:

A) Single-alcohol mixed drinks start at ~$9 each.

B) Beer/cider start ~$7 each.

C) Wine starts at ~$8 glass

D) Specialty Coffees start at ~$4.50 each.

E)Soda is $3.50.

F) Fruit juices are $3-$4.

G) Bottled water $2.50 to $3.50.

Toast to virtually unlimited options on your vacation – wake up with premium coffee, tea, and fresh-squeezed juices, then keep cool onboard with non-alcoholic drinks and bottled still and sparkling water. Relax and unwind with premium and frozen cocktails, domestic and imported beers and a wide selection of wines by the glass.* Plus, enjoy a discount of 40% off bottles of wine under $100 and 20% off bottles above $100 in bars and dining rooms.

Excellent list. To that, I would add frozen/blender/upper shelf cocktails right at the limit of the drink package, like $12/$13.

Thanks for the suggestion but I’m happy with my list as is.

Apologies, didn't mean to imply that you should change your list. Just adding info to hopefully benefit someone else who might be looking to purchase other kinds of cocktails..