Sailing with 6 year old on Silhouette. Is there much to do for kids?

cruisingsveta

I know they have a kids area upstairs and they have great staff and activities for kids. I’ve never seen many kids running around celeb ships due to the fact it’s more upscale and families usually go for the better priced options such as carnival or royal ect. It also depends on the time of year and sailing. Spring break time brings a lot of families. You will have to try it and gauge how you like to. As your child gets older probably best to go with Royal. They are celebrity owned and are quite good from what I hear. At 6 years old they will probably be happy just to be aboard with you but as they get older they will want more to do aboard I’m sure! I’m 26 and only sail celebrity during spring break for the same reason. I’m afraid there won’t be enough people 20-30s and the activities won’t match the demographic. I think you guys will have a great time though! It’s a classy line and the ship is gorgeous!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My daughter never wanted to leave the kid's club when she was 5 through 12. Had a great time, but we always sailed during school vacations ( husband a teacher) so more children were on board. She was very bored after the age of 13. Agree that Royal is much better for that age and above

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Depends on her interests and when you are sailing. For the most part, Celebrity has very few children. The numbers increase over spring break and summer vacation but that's about it. There's a Kid's club somewhere on the ship and I'm sure there are programs. Try going to youtube and searching for the Celebrity Kid's Club to get more info. Somebody has reviewed it a time or two, I'm sure. I check youtube for just about everything cruise related. Good luck!

I know Celebrity is not really a line for kids, but is there anything to do for 6 year old on the Silhouette?

Thank you

Your six year old will have lots to do as Celebrity runs a very well organized kids program. Great counselors, facilities, and activities. Our kids (when they were little) loved it. It's actually one of the reasons that we sailed with Celebrity repeatedly.

What time of year are you sailing? If you're traveling in summer, you'll have no problem. The Celebrity program isn't overrun with hundreds of kids but in each group they'll have 20 or 30 which is plenty. Age 6 is just the beginning of the sweet spot for kid cruisers; they're old enough to go off without you but not so old that they're bored with activities.

Celebrity was our daughters' favorite cruise lines. They loved the kids programming but, in addition, the dining room staff was great and so were our cabin stewards.

Beware, your child will grow up with a fondness for escargot and lobster tail.

I know that younger children seem to love the programs that they have for them.

A couple with 2 younger children were dining next to us and I asked if they went to the kids club and they said no as they didn’t think that there kids would like it. I encouraged them to at least have them try it.

Two days later they seen me and really thanked me and said that their kids really enjoy it and are really disappointed when it closes for meals and time to leave for bed and are always in a rush to get back.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thank you all. Yes he already likes fine things like a good steak and shrimp... we are cruising April 8, his spring break is late. He is not a fan of kids club... I was thinking more in terms of mini golf, chess, etc.

I've dont remember seeing mini golf or a large chess board outside. There is a card room or game area.

I know Celebrity is not really a line for kids, but is there anything to do for 6 year old on the Silhouette?

Thank you

After a few cruises with our son on Celebrity we tried Holland America due to a great routing offer but we're back to Celebrity. Our son has been at various ages including when he was around 6 and loved both the kids club and the wider activities. The lawn deck is a great place as they can run around a bit, put, and play boule. And they're likely to meet other kids there.

We tend to be on board during the European school holidays and usually on an S-class ship there are around 600 kids of varying ages so plenty of friends, even if there aren't waveriders, etc..

My now 12 year olds first cruise was on Celebrity when she was 5 and she absolutely loved it. We have since done a couple more Celebrity cruises and been on other lines too. One of her favorite things was the main dining room and all the choices, plus waitstaff who did things like suggest 2 desserts when she couldn't decide.....

Definitely look at the kids club schedule. One thing we loved is that Celebrity has some 'family' things that are only listed there - like bingo, scavenger hunt etc.

When we cruise, we also make it about the ports, so plan port adventures we will all like.

Have fun!

My kids, now 14 and 11, have been on Celebrity almost annually for 7 years. They enjoy it, but at this point prefer Carnival for longer cruises because of all the ships' bells and whistles. Last summer, we spent 14 days on the Vista and I never once heard a complaint of boredom from either one. I am not so sure that would have been the case on a Celebrity ship. But from about ages 5 to 10, Celebrity was the best choice for our family, and we still usually choose Celebrity for our short spring break cruises because of the lack of chaos.

As was posted above, there are a few family events like a talent show, bingo and scavenger hunts. They are posted in the club schedule so pick one up even if he doesn't go, but they are usually on the final sea day. We also participate in the regular scavenger hunts, games and trivia. Our favorite hunts are where we have to find crew from various countries and/or departments. One time, we participated in a flash mob, where we went to a couple of classes to learn the dance beforehand. They also like the evening shows. But the biggest hit is always the live music. On our last Bermuda cruise in 2014, you could always find my son listening to Nestor playing his guitar, and my daughter, who is not normally a giggly girl, became one when pianist Jordan Peterson was around. Her favorite thing to do was to get a frozen drink from Cafe al Bacio and hang out while he played there.