Typical disembark time for making flight

ihrtcruise

Be glad NCL doesn't use San Diego. We had the only direct flight from there to our east coast airport....leaving at 11 a.m. I didn't think that would be a problem as the airport is nearby and we've always been able to get off ships by 8 a.m. self carry on many, many cruises. However, customs wouldn't let anyone off the ship until everyone had been through customs. Some people didn't come and it was nearly 10 by the time we got off. We rushed down steps and ran for the cab line carrying out suitcases (big mistake as I tore my meniscus doing this and trip insurance wouldn't pay as I couldn't prove I did it getting off the ship). We got to the gate just in time to rush on before the doors closed. Most ports are not this bad but you never know what can happen. We sailed NCL from Miami one time when the previous cruise had been affected by Noro. Every passenger had to report to CDC before disembarking and the ship wasn't finished with that until after noon. No problems any other time out of Miami but I'd opt for an afternoon flight to avoid the rush and insure yourself against situations beyond your control.

In MOST cases, the ship will be totally cleared of departing passengers by 10 am...usually much earlier than that. However, glitches do happen at times.

From Port of Miami, to MIA, we've always been able to make the 10:45am flight without issues. The cruise line usually says noon is a good time to shoot for.

If you want to be stress free book a flight after noon. We had a cruise out of Tampa a couple of years ago and the fog was so thick that there was a delay of more than an hour. Anyone booking a flight in the AM may have missed their flight. Better safe and stress free.

Assuming the situation is completely normal, nothing unusual, practically every port we've used, if you do the early walk off, you should be off the ship by about 8 am. Even going off with colored luggage tags and no hurry, off by 9am. However, on rare occasions something unusual will happen delaying getting off considerable. Once in New Orleans, we were not through customs and onto the street until noon. Rare, but can happen. I always book a flight for 2 pm or later to prevent stress.