Pre arranged classic car tour OR arrange one after we walk off ship?

cpayne

Does one need a pre-arranged tour to get off the ship? We have filled out all the documentation and obtained our visa. Our tour company cancelled us at the last minute. We are hoping to just walk off and hire a driver or guide. Thanks. (USA)

Yes, you can just walk off the ship and do whatever you want.

I have a private tour booked for next March through Havana Journeys. For 1-2 people it's 100 CUC for a 6 hour combo walking/driving tour with an English speaking guide. Lunch isn't included and there are some optional stops we could pay for.

Our family of 4 with two teens are visiting in June and want to do a walking tour with a guide and then classic cars later on. A friend visited last summer, a guy approached her party of four for a tour, they accepted, and had the most wonderful time with a walking tour first, and then a classic car tour. I would like to use the same person. Here's my worry- I have read and read on the FAQs with what we can and cannot do in Cuba now with the new US regulations that started in Nov. We did not book any component of our cruise before the date in June that it was announced. It says that a tour must be purchased through the cruise line or with a "US sponsoring organization". Clearly this guy is not. I've also seen on the cruise FAQ that if you do one of these sponsored tours, you can then freely walk around on your own.:

• "you can enjoy Havana before or after your tour, as long as you are engaged in a full-day schedule of educational exchange activities as setforth by OFAC regulations"

If the non-licensed guide is planning to do an organized walking tour, and then later through him we do a classic car tour with drivers he has pre-arranged while he accompanies, does anyone know if we need to do another "US sponsored organization" led-tour first?

I have spent several hours over several days reading through what I could find, including the treasure.gov site trying to decipher what is allowed, so I figured I'd just see if anyone here feels clear on the rules.

You can check Support for the Cuban People instead of People to People if you will have an itinerary that supports private businesses and private commerce. The new regs are very vague, but it is pretty globally understood that airbnb's, private locally owned tour companies, paladares, and privately owned shops qualify and that the expansion of this category to allow independent travel with a "full time" itinerary was intended to promote these types of interactions and private commerce support. And with a local guide would be able to promote the cultural exchange that is required. This way to travel truly supports the local Cuban business owners and is becoming increasingly popular. I Love Cuba Photo Tours amazing and is a fantastic option for this!

Who did you pre book thru? Was that price per person or total per hour?

Thanks

We pre-booked a tour and the total cost for 5 people for a 6 hours tour ( 3 hours in a very beautiful classic convertible + 3 hours walking tour in Old Havana with an English speaking guide ) was 200 Cuc.

I think it was really a bargain considering the quality of the service we received.

Also we were able to pay the full amount in USD by paypal as their manager lives in Florida and the guide was waiting for us at the exit of the cruise terminal so we did not have to waste time in finding a driver or a guide and negotiating a price.

We pre-booked a tour . . . Also we were able to pay the full amount in USD by paypal as their manager lives in Florida and the guide was waiting for us at the exit of the cruise terminal so we did not have to waste time in finding a driver or a guide and negotiating a price.

Who did you book with?

We used Havanacar. Their website is http://www.havanacar.net or you can contact their manager Stefano who is based in Florida on whatsapp at +13109623089.

Ask for Omar or Hugo. They are the best;);)!

We also booked Havanacar, but our trip is in another 43 days. We had made contact with 5 different companies, and Stefano was by far the most responsive and easiest to work with. I am super happy to hear that others have had a good response during the tour as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Just go out and walk around. We had a wonderful time exploring on our own, visiting parks, churches, museums, shops, cafes, and anything else we ran into. If you get too tired to walk back, just grab a taxi.

It's ok to walk around on your own? What did you choose on the Visa form?

It's ok to walk around on your own? What did you choose on the Visa form?

There are no choices involving the visa. The visa is issued by the Cuban government and they don't care what you do. You're talking about the OFAC affadavit.

• 4 weeks later...
We also booked Havanacar, but our trip is in another 43 days. We had made contact with 5 different companies, and Stefano was by far the most responsive and easiest to work with. I am super happy to hear that others have had a good response during the tour as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would agree that Stefano with Havanacar was very responsive. However, I would be very wary of any company wanting prepayment. He should have been upfront about wanting deposits when dealing with our group instead of throwing out that deal breaker after we decided to confirm our booking. Not only is sending deposits through Paypal or via bank account for Cuba tour illegal under US embargo laws, but there is no guarantee that you could ever get your money back should your ship cancel the port-of-call. There are plenty of reliable companies in Cuba offering tours without a deposit. It just is not worth the bother and the extra expense, as a Havanacar deposit in US funds comes with a 10 percent plus surcharge. Good luck to you, and hope it goes well.

I would agree that Stefano with Havanacar was very responsive. However, I would be very wary of any company wanting prepayment. He should have been upfront about wanting deposits when dealing with our group instead of throwing out that deal breaker after we decided to confirm our booking. Not only is sending deposits through Paypal or via bank account for Cuba tour illegal under US embargo laws, but there is no guarantee that you could ever get your money back should your ship cancel the port-of-call. There are plenty of reliable companies in Cuba offering tours without a deposit. It just is not worth the bother and the extra expense, as a Havanacar deposit in US funds comes with a 10 percent plus surcharge. Good luck to you, and hope it goes well.

Sending deposits is illegal? I am planning on booking with "Locally Sourced Havana Tours" well reviewed on Tripadvisor & they require 10% deposit & full payment 7 days prior to tour.

We did send our deposit to confirm our booking with Havanacar.net. I think is normal to pay a deposit as almost all the most important companies ask for it.

Paypal which is a US Company doesn't process services or goods sold in Cuba due to the embargo, but it is not illegal to send a deposit if you are dealing with an authorized private company not listed in the ones banned to US citizens.

We simply sent our deposit through paypal as it was a transfer to a friend.

There is not any surcharge. Probably you don't know the official Cuc:Usd exchange rate which is 0.87 to 1.

It means 100 USD are 87 Cuc. It is the USD which is taxed an extra 10% from the Cuban government and not from them.

Stefano, the company manager , refunded us 40 cuc from the original deposit we paid as 2 friends from our group had to give up for health issues and it was not even expected as it was a last second waiver.

Good luck to you if you decide to choose a company which doesn't require a deposit. You are probably not risking your deposit but at the same time you cannot be sure that they will show up!

Sending deposits is illegal? I am planning on booking with "Locally Sourced Havana Tours" well reviewed on Tripadvisor & they require 10% deposit & full payment 7 days prior to tour.

If they are an authorized private company you can send the deposit without having to worry ablut anything.

Hope it helps ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Our first day, we arrived at 2 pm and took the Havana Free Walking Tour at 4 pm. Very good tour, in fact I had researched that there is a ferry walking distance from the cruise port that costs $1 and takes you across to walk up to the Christ Statue. I mentioned it to our guide, and she took us to the ferry, paid for all 8 of us to go each direction, and showed us the stairway up the hill. I don't know if I would have found that myself. Second day we took the Blexie tour. $130 covered the car, driver and guide all day. We did not do any evening activities onshore but probably should have. Third day our ship departed at 3 pm, so we only walked around town again and shopped at the Alecranes artists market, which is quite large.

We also arrive at 2 pm and was thinking of taking the 4 pm Revolution Tour with Strawberry Tours. However, wasn't sure how much time to allow for debarkation, $ exchange and walking to the start of the tour. Approx how long did it take you to get off the ship and $ exchanged?

Thanks.