Your Thoughts On Riding An Elephant, Please

DaisyRose

Wondered if sled dogs would get pulled in....I have a few words on that subject.....I have sled dogs....they love to run, they love to race....they live on the couch...right now I have 3of them on the bed....they love to run 150 miles a day...and eat 20,000 KC a day.....all of them have done 1,000 mile races....all but one...he wasn’t interested so he didn’t go....they tell you, and you can’t make a sled dog run, if it doesn’t want too...BTW, sled dogs develop a telepathy with their owners....please don’t put sled dogs in the same category as elephants...

I agree 100%. I had 2 Akitas. We should have gotten one of those single seat carts and had them pull it. They were BIG, strong and would lower their heads and put their shoulders into pulling us around the neighborhood for our 'walks'. They really needed something more to pull. They were healthy and weighed about 100 lbs. each.

Wow. Critical much? No idea why phased did not appear. Whatever .

People can do what they want, obviously. My opinion changed when we went to Marineland, regretted taking the kids there. Never went to an animal park/zoo after that.

Wow. Take yourself too seriously much?

It's funny that the wrong word actually has a definition!

Really ... lighten up ... it's funny.

I have ridden an elephant in Jaipur, India and it did not appear maltreated.

That is because they are tortured before they carry around tourists. Imagine trying to sit on a wild elephant. First, he wouldn't let you, just like you wouldn't allow an elephant to sit on you. Instead of going to Guest Relations to get security and deal with it nicely, the elephant would try to kill you because you're a threat. The only reason an elephant allows you to ride them without following their instincts is that they have been tortured. Tortured! There's no other reason why an elephant would let you ride them, no matter how nice they appear to be treated from a tourist's perspective.

In 1985 I visited the Elephant Orphanage in Sri Lanka - walked in amongst the elephants, who were very relaxed, and accompanied them to the river where they bathed.

I don't know about other venues, (never had one iota of interest in going to Thailand), but these guys appeared quite comfortable.

72vzpc.jpg

I respectfully disagree with some of the responses that advise not to ever do an elephant trek. I have rode on elephants in Thailand and Laos but only after researching the outfit to understand how they treat their animals. My understanding is that elephants, much like horses, donkeys, and other larger animals, are able to carry the weight of one or two humans without harm. I think it is all in the way they are treated by their handlers. I would hope, but not assume, that cruise lines would do this research and only contract with reputable tour companies.

You can usually determine how the animals are treated by looking them over. Do they look healthy? Are they well fed? Are they over-worked? Are they given sufficient breaks? Are there vets on site? In Laos, there was an "elephant hospital" on site where they had detailed records of the care, feeding, and work schedule for each elephant. I wouldn't ride an elephant that appeared unhealthy.

I did an elephant trek in a Thai jungle and rode an elephant across a river in Laos. Both were among the most exciting travel experiences I've ever had and wouldn't hesitate to do again.

Just my two cents on the matter....

I think you need to be educated a bit more! Donkeys and horses cannot take the weight of two adults ( I have horses) !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree 100%. I had 2 Akitas. We should have gotten one of those single seat carts and had them pull it. They were BIG, strong and would lower their heads and put their shoulders into pulling us around the neighborhood for our 'walks'. They really needed something more to pull. They were healthy and weighed about 100 lbs. each.

Try winning a tug of war with an Akita!

KeithM, what a cute video! There are so many opinions, and I think it's actually very hard to educate yourself and really know the full truth of the situation. As for me, I love wildlife. My favorite place to visit is a sanctuary where they try to rehabilitate animals and return them to their natural habitat, or simply give a safe home to those who can not be rehabilitated. As the OP, I again thank everyone for their input.