Can they keep it?

You are under no obligation to tip above the "suggested" amounts they add to your account. If you hand someone cash, you can bet it will go in their pocket.....no worries!

NOT true.

When tipping at the pool bar with cash, EVERY time, it was put in a bucket at the back of the bar.

Bottom line, tip what YOU feel is appropriate to the service received.

I may give the cabin steward an extra $20 or so for a 9 night. So around $2 a day over the auto grats.

At the bar, if good service, I will hand them a $5 every few days (they pooled tips at the pool bar).

I tip an extra $20 and I've often tipped a $10 at the beginning, if I'm sharing a cabin with someone that asks for something extra. Same for waiter and asst waiter (each, not to share) because my (adultish) grandson will often require more than one entree or appetizer and I know that's extra work on the waitstaff.

For the wait staff and our cabin attendant, I usually give extra at the end of the cruise. We don't usually ask for anything extra, so $25.00 each is what we give. Sometimes we have an excellent waiter, and give a little more to him.