Potential NCL defector questions

Notnewtoit

Hello MSC folks!

So I'm a Platinum over at NCL and have recently been pointed toward and have become interested in MSC. While I have no gripes with NCL (have sailed mostly the Jewel class), MSC Yacht Club does seem very appealing and good value, so I have a few random questions that I didn't manage to get solid answers to on the MSC website. Answers/opinions gratefully accepted; please be kind.

It happens that I am looking at ~Caribbean, Christmas 2018, ~11 days'ish and that seems to point toward MSC Divina. So to my (possibly naive) questions:

1. I see that YC has its own dining room. As a couple, can we dine alone or do we inherit 8 new friends whether we'd like to or not? (We're kinda quiet)...

2. We're used to Freestyle dining, I think YC let's us choose when we want to eat?

3. Dress code... While we both dress neatly and pretty smart casual for dinner, were on vacation... so not big on tie's Tux's and ballgowns... is this a faux pas (notably on formal nights) or is it live and let live?

4. Seriously no morning coffee making capability in Deluxe cabins (or has that now changed (on Divina))?

5. I see that YC let's one drink inclusively in other bars around the ship, does this also apply to or offer some credit on eating in the other Eataly restaurants or are they purely a la carte?

Any other NCL defectors over here with particular insights?

Thanks in advance! :cool:

Hello MSC folks!

So I'm a Platinum over at NCL and have recently been pointed toward and have become interested in MSC. While I have no gripes with NCL (have sailed mostly the Jewel class), MSC Yacht Club does seem very appealing and good value, so I have a few random questions that I didn't manage to get solid answers to on the MSC website. Answers/opinions gratefully accepted; please be kind.

It happens that I am looking at ~Caribbean, Christmas 2018, ~11 days'ish and that seems to point toward MSC Divina. So to my (possibly naive) questions:

1. I see that YC has its own dining room. As a couple, can we dine alone or do we inherit 8 new friends whether we'd like to or not? (We're kinda quiet)...

2. We're used to Freestyle dining, I think YC let's us choose when we want to eat?

3. Dress code... While we both dress neatly and pretty smart casual for dinner, were on vacation... so not big on tie's Tux's and ballgowns... is this a faux pas (notably on formal nights) or is it live and let live?

4. Seriously no morning coffee making capability in Deluxe cabins (or has that now changed (on Divina))?

5. I see that YC let's one drink inclusively in other bars around the ship, does this also apply to or offer some credit on eating in the other Eataly restaurants or are they purely a la carte?

Any other NCL defectors over here with particular insights?

Thanks in advance! :cool:

I told you about the YC and the great value for money. I'm also Platinum on NCL so I'm a NCL defector too!

I can give you some answers.

1. You can eat alone, no need to share a table with strangers.

2. You can eat when you want. They will ask you when you want to eat but feel free to go to the restaurant when you want.

3. It's a little more formal than NCL but smart casual is ok, you don't need a tux or ballgown.

4. Not sure about this but you have free room service so you can order coffee if you can't make it yourself in the suite.

5. No foodcredit in other restaurants.

I wrote a review after my first MSC cruise last summer. I can't do it right now bit if I remember it tomorrow I can post a link to it!

I wrote a review after my first MSC cruise last summer. I can't do it right now bit if I remember it tomorrow I can post a link to it!

Thanks for the info, yep - it's your fault :D

Yes I would very much like to see that review if you can find it!

:cool:

You can have coffee or anything delivered to your room, or you can go a few steps into the Top Sail Lounge for coffee and a small buffet. We were in the YC a couple of years ago, and it was terrific. The ONLY down side is that while the YC in in front on the Divina, the restaurant is in the back. By the way, we are going back on the Divina in November for a 12 day. That should give you an idea of how we enjoyed the ship. The YC, at this time, is beyond our affordability, so we are in a Fantastica balcony. Look at my signature, and you will see that I've been a a few cruises with other cruise lines.For value, you can't beat MSC.

While it is true on Divina you must cross the ship to get to the restaurant, Le Muse, from YC in the front, I kind of enjoyed the experience of seeing the rest of the beautiful ship and all of the different lounges with live music. And the theater on Divina is larger than on Seaside.

Your butler will be happy to bring you a pot of coffee or cappuccinos to your cabin. I loved my cruises on Getaway and Escape (regular balcony) especially because of the Waterfront...but YC has to be experienced to be believed!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While it is true on Divina you must cross the ship to get to the restaurant, Le Muse, from YC in the front, I kind of enjoyed the experience of seeing the rest of the beautiful ship and all of the different lounges with live music. And the theater on Divina is larger than on Seaside.

Your butler will be happy to bring you a pot of coffee or cappuccinos to your cabin. I loved my cruises on Getaway and Escape (regular balcony) especially because of the Waterfront...but YC has to be experienced to be believed!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks all! I think I'm getting a good impression of MSC...

This whole coffee thing is odd... yes I see that we can go and get it, or call and have it delivered but in reality we prefer to stumble naked to our own little machine, stare at it for a minute pressing buttons and stumble back to bed to recover from the shock. 30 minutes and 2 cups later we might be suitably caffeinated enough to interact with other human beings in an acceptable fashion!

I see that MSC has started to put Nespresso type machines in some cabins on other ships... Davina soon I hope!

You can always bring your own coffee maker if you like.

But yes I agree in YC you should at the very least have a CM in the cabin.

I too am an NCL defector, always Haven, I prefered the Lavazza coffee machines to the new nespresso ones installed now.