St Petersburg with Kids- St Isaac, Peter Fort or Grand Maket

kaywes

Hi everyone! We are in the process of developing our itinerary for a 2-day private tour (Standard Excursion) of St Petersburg with TJ Travel, and need some advice from you.

We are traveling with 6 people including 2 kids ages 10 & 12. The itinerary includes both the inside tour of Catherine Palace and St Isaac. I’m wondering whether we should replace St Isaac with Peter Fort. TJ Travel said that the kids may not like the tomb there and suggested replacing it with the Grand Maket or stick with St Isaac and go to the top to see the panoramic view.

What do you guys think? Is the Grand Maket any good? Would we miss a lot skipping St Isaac? I just don’t think the kids would be interested to see the inside of more churches. Would Peter Fort be more interesting for kids that age? This is the first time we go to St Petersburg and we don’t want to miss any major sights, but we also want to strike a good balance with the kids’ interests.

Thanks so much for any input!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our sons were 17 and 13 when we visited St. Peterburg. Our tour (Alla, not TJ) did not include St. Isaac's or the Yusupov Palace and you're right - our sons were more than happy to skip a church and a palace. We did go to the Fortress of Sts. Peter and Paul, and there's really not much there other than the tsars' tombs. I don't think they were too thrilled with it (DH and I liked it). If you can go to the top of the dome at St. Isaac's, I think they'd prefer it.

Edited by nybumpkin

I think it greatly depends on your kids and their knowledge and interests. By the time I was 12 I had read several books about the Tsar and his family, and their eventual execution. (Also saw the terrific movie, "Nikolas and Alexandra." I would've liked to have visited their tomb at that age. (I did enjoy visiting it many years later -- found it rather touching how many people visit and leave flowers...)

The interior of St. Isaac didn't do much for me, on the other hand. (I did like Yusopov's Palace, for the same reason -- history buff).

Are you referring to Peterhof? Peter the Great's Summer Palace? If so, yes, kids would like the outside grounds.

No, I’m referring to the Fortress of Peter and Paul. We are for sure going to the Peterhoff. Just wondering whether the Fortress would be any more interesting than the inside of St Isaac.

Thanks for all your reply! We are not history buffs, neither are our kids. At this point, I think we would probably choose the Grand Maket and skip St Isaac. Seems to be more interesting for our kids.

We traveled with a 3.5 year old, so our experience might be less useful for you. The highlights for my son in St. Petersburg were: a canal trip, the Hermitage, running through the fountains at Peterhof (bring backup clothes since it might be a bit chilly, and you are really far from the entrance), Catherine's Palace, the subway and eating at Stolle. Peter fort was not a huge highlight and I'd say you are fine skipping it. We only saw the exterior of St Isaac, which was nice and worth a very brief stop if you have time.

This thread was quite recent and if you haven't seen it might be helpful for your planning: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2575054 .

This is a great trip for kids, and I hope you all have a wonderful time.

No, I’m referring to the Fortress of Peter and Paul. We are for sure going to the Peterhoff. Just wondering whether the Fortress would be any more interesting than the inside of St Isaac.

I think they would be equal. I have been there 2x over a 25 year period. One time we saw the prison cell areas which was ok. The other time we saw the tombs of the Romanov family. I found the tomb area far more interesting as I am a history buff. It probably wouldn't mean much to people who didn't follow the history.

I like both Peter and Paul Fortress and St. Isaac's Cathedral. As kids, I don't think either would be that interesting unless they can relate to it later when they study Russian history. Sorry - I had not heard of it referred as Peter Fort before though I have spent several weeks in Russia.

If you can explain the Romanov story to them they may find the tombs interesting. There is a kid movie called "Anastasia" which is a cartoon that maybe of interest to them. Though it is not historically accurate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anastasia_(1997_film)

This is the tour we will do with our 10 and 13 yo (private tour through TJ)

8:30 amMeeting by the ship. (Please note: the start time of the tour is given approximately and will be adjusted depending on your ship arrival time). City tour includes driving and photo stops in the most beautiful, historical places of St. Petersburg. A visit to a farmer’s market and a subway station.

10:30 am - 11:00 amTravel to Peterhof by hydrofoil

11:00 am - 12:30 pmGuided tour of the Upper Gardens and Lower Fountain Park

12:30 pm - 1:30 pmLunch (expenses not included)

1:30 pm - 2:30 pmDriving to Pushkin city

2:30 pm - 4:00 pmInside guided tour of Catherine Palace with the Amber Room

4:00 pm - 5:00 pmDriving to the city

5:00 pm - 6:00 pm The cat cafe 25 USD per person (for 1 hour).

Day 2

8:00 amMeeting by the ship. Payment for the tour. Shopping

8:30 am - 9:30 amBoat ride along the rivers and canals

10:00 am - 12:30 amInside guided tour of the Hermitage Museum early admisson, before the official opening hours)

12:30 am - 1:30 pmTraditional Russian lunch (expenses not included)

1:30 pm - 2:00 pmInside guided tour of the Church of the Spilt Blood

2:30 pm - 3:30 pmInside guided tour of the Grand Maket (scale model (1:87)

8:30 amMeeting by the ship. (Please note: the start time of the tour is given approximately and will be adjusted depending on your ship arrival time). City tour includes driving and photo stops in the most beautiful, historical places of St. Petersburg. A visit to a farmer’s market and a subway station.

Day 2

10:00 am - 12:30 amInside guided tour of the Hermitage Museum early admisson, before the official opening hours)

I would opt for eating at Stolle instead and certainly wouldn't want to spend so much time on sit down meals.

We also have done a private tour with TJ Travel...and the great thing about doing it with just the two of us, driver & guide was the flexibility to rearrange the order and to add things at the spur of the moment. Enjoy...we certainly did.

I would opt for eating at Stolle instead and certainly wouldn't want to spend so much time on sit down meals.

We also have done a private tour with TJ Travel...and the great thing about doing it with just the two of us, driver & guide was the flexibility to rearrange the order and to add things at the spur of the moment. Enjoy...we certainly did.

I doubt we’ll do any sit down meals

I doubt we’ll do any sit down meals

Day one eat lunch at Stolle and forget that 2nd meal at 5:00-6:00pm...you could use that extra time before heading back to the ship (where you can eat) to see or do something else. We visited a large Russian grocery store...very interesting option unless you're going to be on a group tour where you won't have the flexibility.

Day one eat lunch at Stolle and forget that 2nd meal at 5:00-6:00pm...you could use that extra time before heading back to the ship (where you can eat) to see or do something else. We visited a large Russian grocery store...very interesting option unless you're going to be on a group tour where you won't have the flexibility.

That sounds great! Which Russian grocery store did you go to?

Day 2

Hi, we plan to do a private tour with TJ as well and your itinerary looks similar to ours, minus the cat cafe. Hopefully this itinerary would work well with our kids [emoji4]

Day 1, Tuesday, 10 July

8:30 am Meeting by the ship

8:30-10:00 am City tour including driving and photo stops in the most beautiful, historical places of St Petersburg.

A visit to a farmer’s market and a subway station.

10:00 am-12:00 pm Inside guided tour of the State Hermitage Museum (early admission, before the official opening​ ​hours). Winter Palace Staterooms. Italian High​ ​Renaissance art, Rembrandt's paintings, the collection of Dutch and​ ​​Flemish masters etc.

12:15-12:45 pm Inside guided tour of the Church of the Spilt Blood

1:00-2:00 pm Inside guided tour of the Grand Maket (scale model (1:87) of Russia, permanent interactive exhibition)

2:30-3:30 pm Lunch (expenses are not included)

3:30-4:15 pm Travel to Petergof by hydrofoil

4:15-5:30 pm Guided tour of the Upper Gardens and Lower Fountain Park

6:30 pm Return to the ship or evening optional program (theatre/folk show/boat trip)

​​Day 2, Wednesday, 11 July

7:30 am Meeting by the ship. Continuation of the city tour, including the Spit of the Basil Island Michael’s Castle,​ ​Summer Gardens of Peter the Great, The State St Petersburg University, Academy of Fine Arts, The Russian​ ​Academy of Sciences Ancient Egyptian Sphinxes, the Monument of Peter the Great, Admiralty etc

8:30-9:30 am Boat ride along rivers and canals

9:30-10:30 pm Driving to Pushkin city

10:30-12:00 pm Inside guided tour of the Catherine Palace with the Amber Room

12:00-1:00 pm Driving to the city

1:00-2:00 pm Lunch (expenses are not included)

2:15-3:15 pm A stroll along Nevsky prospect

4:00 pm Return to the ship

I think they would be equal. I have been there 2x over a 25 year period. One time we saw the prison cell areas which was ok. The other time we saw the tombs of the Romanov family. I found the tomb area far more interesting as I am a history buff. It probably wouldn't mean much to people who didn't follow the history.

I like both Peter and Paul Fortress and St. Isaac's Cathedral. As kids, I don't think either would be that interesting unless they can relate to it later when they study Russian history. Sorry - I had not heard of it referred as Peter Fort before though I have spent several weeks in Russia.

If you can explain the Romanov story to them they may find the tombs interesting. There is a kid movie called "Anastasia" which is a cartoon that maybe of interest to them. Though it is not historically accurate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anastasia_(1997_film)

Thanks Coral! I will have them watch Anastasia. Didn’t realize that it was about the Romanov story. We decided to do the Grand Maket instead of the Peter Fort or St Isaac. I think it would work better for our kids.

That sounds great! Which Russian grocery store did you go to?

We went to one very near the subway...our guide recommended this large one...just ask yours and I'm sure they will know which one will work for you depending on where you'll be.

Thanks Coral! I will have them watch Anastasia. Didn’t realize that it was about the Romanov story. We decided to do the Grand Maket instead of the Peter Fort or St Isaac. I think it would work better for our kids.

It strays far from the truth (especially since most believe Anastasia didn't escape) but it may give them some interest in Russia before you go. It is entertaining.

The Grand Market would probably be more interesting.

Someone mentioned a grocery store. We went to one in Moscow that was high end. OMG - it was pretty cool.

We did a private 2 day tour and added on the dome climb at St Isaacs. We were the only tourists up there with the locals. Groups tours don’t make the climb up. The views outstanding!

I did not know that was possible. Good to know.

We did a private 2 day tour and added on the dome climb at St Isaacs. We were the only tourists up there with the locals. Groups tours don’t make the climb up. The views outstanding!

Yes, the views from the top are amazing. Pretty steep climb and not recommended for anyone with any mobility or health issues.

• 1 month later...