Majority MDR food made off ship and only heated up onboard?

There are a few dietary meals that may be frozen and heated up as ordered.

One is kosher meals. Because of the religious restrictions on preparation and serving of such meals, kosher meals will be ordered ahead of time by the passenger. The meals are like frozen Tv dinners where they are brought to the table for the passenger to break the seal on the meal and then returned to be heated and serve.

For celiacs, there may also be certain frozen gluten free items specially on board for them. Waffles and certain other bread items come to mind.

The kosher meals must be ordered before boarding and the medically necessary dietary restrictions are also listed in the reservations so that the ship can order any special items.

If you have Netflix, a show called Megafoods did a documentary on the Oasis of the Seas kitchens. They are definitely not reheating prepared foods.

Exactly. Go to Mega Foods on Netflix, watch Episode 6. It is about food preparation on Oasis of the Seas. Whoever is telling you it's prepared elsewhere is wrong. It was amazing to watch.

Like others have mentioned I have also taken a behind-the-scenes tour and have seen how they actually store raw food and then cook it. Also from a logical standpoint it does not make sense to pre prepare the food since raw food is much cheaper and the cruise company's labor cost for Galley help is very low. The one item I do recall they did not make from scratch on board for some reason was hamburger buns. All of the other red and bakery products were though. They even grind their own hamburger meat.

Sent from my P027 using Forums mobile app

Does it really matter if it comes on board frozen, half prepared, or made on board. The real question is quality and how it tastes.

There are MANY foods that do well made a few days ahead or partially made ahead, or many vegetables that would do better brought in frozen.

• 2 weeks later...
I have read here in the forum a few times that a majority of MDR food is made off ship and only reheated onboard? How true is this? If so, is it true on the Allure? How would they handle things like those with low sodium diets then? Do they have pans of low sodium meals they just reheat also? I would think it would make it really hard to take care of those with dietary restrictions this way. I would also feel the incidence food poisoning would also be higher. I could see where some baked goods like cakes fast frozen then thawed would be OK. But other meals would really suffer. Just how true is this info? Please say it isn't so.:loudcry:

What is your source?

For what it's worth, some cruise lines DO do this--at least with some food items. We experienced this on Costa. Certain food items were marked with an asterisk. I forget what the exact language was, but those particular items were prepared ahead of time and re-heated on board. It seems to me that they were pasta sauces, soups and the like. They tasted perfectly fine, but it was kind of disheartening to hear that we were basically eating some pre-packaged foodservice frozen or canned food items.

Baked goods contain a lot of air, if they loaded all of those pre-made they would need a lot of extra storage space. Also, the labor on board costs less per man-hour than the labor in the factories where the pre-made food is processed, granted the ship may not have the same economies of scale, but they apply some of the same "factory" like processes to food prep on-board.

Our waiter in the MDR on our Serenade cruise in December told us that the crab cakes were one of only two menu items that are not made on board. I think he told us what the other one was but I can't remember. In any case, the crab cakes were really, really, really good.

I have read here in the forum a few times that a majority of MDR food is made off ship and only reheated onboard? How true is this? If so, is it true on the Allure? How would they handle things like those with low sodium diets then? Do they have pans of low sodium meals they just reheat also? I would think it would make it really hard to take care of those with dietary restrictions this way. I would also feel the incidence food poisoning would also be higher. I could see where some baked goods like cakes fast frozen then thawed would be OK. But other meals would really suffer. Just how true is this info? Please say it isn't so.:loudcry:

Yuck!! Perish the thought!!! NOT TRUE!!! The chefs on board are very proud at what they accomplish on board, and creating off ship is NOT going to happen.