Not happy at all with our supposed upgrade! Has this happened to you?

Seagull507

The OP just obviously just doesn't know how it works so take it easy folks. To the OP, go enjoy your cruise, have a great time and let us know how it goes.

Agree 100%

The cabin is just a place to store your stuff and to lay down at night. Spend your days in the common areas around the ship and make use of all that it has to offer. Enjoy the ports of call, the activities, the food, and the shows. Keep a positive outlook and I think you’ll have a wonderful time!

I remember the experiences I’ve had on my cruises far more than the cabins.

Agree 100%

The cabin is just a place to store your stuff and to lay down at night. Spend your days in the common areas around the ship and make use of all that it has to offer. Enjoy the ports of call, the activities, the food, and the shows. Keep a positive outlook and I think you’ll have a wonderful time!

I remember the experiences I’ve had on my cruises far more than the cabins.

Please understand that what you consider unimportant might be the opposite to someone else.

If I had to choose the importance of my cabin or the ports, I pick cabin. It is much more than just a place to sleep at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please understand that what you consider unimportant might be the opposite to someone else.

If I had to choose the importance of my cabin or the ports, I pick cabin. It is much more than just a place to sleep at night.

If that was the case then one wouldn’t leave the cabin selection up to the cruise line by electing to do a “guarantee” cabin.

So considering the situation that this person is in the only thing you can do is to try to make the best of the situation and enjoy what else the ship has to offer.

If one only chooses to dwell the negative I’m afraid it will put a damper on their enjoyment of the rest of the cruise.

Edited by Motegi

Can't they just get online and pick any cabin in that class ? That is what we did on Celebrity last year booked a Sky Suite GTY was assigned a S1 I went online and switched to a cabin I liked better, aft corner S1.

Deck 4 Fwd isn't a premium location for the majority, but it is not truly nowhere near the bottom of the ship's forward section, there are (if I recall) at least 2 decks below for crew & ship operations, including the laundry center on that class of NCL ships.

We've booked exactly those obstructed view, typically "expected" to be Deck 8 with the lifeboats ... (that would be an "OK" Obstructed OV Category - marked as a GTY, to be assigned) and the fineprints would alert to the possibilities. We're upgraded on the Gem a few years ago from an OK coded GTY booking, no stateroom assigned to an OF category, one higher than this one, likely an OG category ... also, on Deck 4 Fwd, portside. It was/is an 2-category upgrade, but moved down on the deck plan, from 8th floor to 4/floor ...

The porthole is actually pretty big, not tiny/small - not as great as the "giant" picture window ... there are similar porthole windows further back on deck 4 AND deck 5 ... just as far & high above the waterline of the ship.

Advice to OP, think positive - NCL's disclosure has explained this and sorry that you misunderstood, they followed the rules. Enjoy your cruise.

The downside is that if and when the ship does anchor and do tendering instead of docking at the piers on its port stops, you will likely hear the anchor & machinery in use. If sea conditions are rough, you will hear & feel the waves smashing against the exterior hull of the ship, but it really isn't that much worst than being further back or a deck higher.

We actually didn't have any issues with our deck 4 Fwd GTY assignment, it was further back & we knew the chance of that and accepted it when booking, save us money as not being concerned about our "exact" deck & location - we sailed thru - directly - in a Nor-Easter that November and kind of missed that "submarine" porthole view during those rough 15 hours, mostly in the overnight hours leaving NYC.

Can't they just get online and pick any cabin in that class ? That is what we did on Celebrity last year booked a Sky Suite GTY was assigned a S1 I went online and switched to a cabin I liked better, aft corner S1.

No they can’t. I think the only option at this point is to call and pay for an upgrade.