Waiting for a cabin assignment on a guarantee

wwinfl91

Thanks DaveOKC for the explanation. Yes, have been keeping track of all available Vista Suites. I am watching the available cabins to see if we end up in one of those that are listed (and, as you say may not be as optimal.) Just wondering what you meant about HAL's max of 10. I've also been tracking the number of Outsides as well as Insides to see if the prices fluctuate the closer we get to sailing. (I know I am locked in to the price I paid but am interested for future strategy.)

HAL will show a maximum of 10 cabins in a given category (i.e. VB). That way they can keep secret how well the cruise is selling.

DO NOT WAIT! Ask now. You have nothing to lose except a phone call and you might get an idea of if and when they will be offered. It does not hurt to alert your TA that you are interested in an upsell.

Keep in mind that HAL seldom will offer you a good deal on an upsell if you call them, unless of course you did not get the email for some strange reason or your TA "forgot" to call you about it (always possible).

Called our PCC Friday. Seems the cruise is filling out nicely, so the upsells are pricey. Will call our TA the 2nd or 3rd of May (for a 12 May sailing) and ask him to check again. We may forgo upsells and take what we get when assignments come out.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my cabin assignment yesterday for our May 19 cruise. We booked a Superior Verandah (mini suite) on HAL's Rotterdam (cat BB) and got a Superior Verandah (mini suite)(cat AA) so we basically got what we paid for.

Got ours about 17 days out. A nice cabin on the Eurodam 5032 for a veranda guarantee. Our cabin was middle of the grade (of course, the most common on the ship). In the "foreward bump" without lifeboats beneath the veranda with passenger cabins above and below.

I'm pretty sure I never received an email, but after regularly checking the check-in online, the cabin number appeared online and on the baggage tags.

Got ours about 17 days out. A nice cabin on the Eurodam 5032 for a veranda guarantee. Our cabin was middle of the grade (of course, the most common on the ship). In the "foreward bump" without lifeboats beneath the veranda with passenger cabins above and below.

I'm pretty sure I never received an email, but after regularly checking the check-in online, the cabin number appeared online and on the baggage tags.

For future info: I'm told it likely appeared on the luggage tags before the boarding pass.

I've had the weirdest thing happen. I booked a guarantee for a sailing in September and my confirmation came with a cabin already assigned. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I have never experienced this, before, in any of my guarantee bookings.

And you accepted this cabin? Wow!

And you accepted this cabin? Wow!

I guess I missed something. The cabin was identical to all others and location-wise is in good shape for view, noise, and vibration. A bit of a walk to the Dining Room, but I'd rather have that than one that is noisier, smaller, without a view, rockier, shakier, or smellier!

- Mark

I've had the weirdest thing happen. I booked a guarantee for a sailing in September and my confirmation came with a cabin already assigned. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I have never experienced this, before, in any of my guarantee bookings.

A thought - check out the category you were assigned to and if there is a cabin in this category (or a lower one) that you would prefer, call HAL or your TA and see if you can move to it. Never hurts to ask.

Uhh... It was an assignment to a veranda guarantee, no?

What's to accept/reject?

Sorry, you're right. I misread the original post and thought they were dealing with an upsell offer, therefore my question of acceptance or not. My apologies..:o

I guess I missed something. The cabin was identical to all others and location-wise is in good shape for view, noise, and vibration. A bit of a walk to the Dining Room, but I'd rather have that than one that is noisier, smaller, without a view, rockier, shakier, or smellier!

- Mark

Sorry, I misread your post and thought you were offered an upsell. My apologies.. :o

Sorry, I misread your post and thought you were offered an upsell. My apologies.. :o

After briefly wondering "What did I pass up?" I figured there had to be a miscommunication.

Happy cruising!

- Mark

Sorry, you're right. I misread the original post and thought they were dealing with an upsell offer, therefore my question of acceptance or not. My apologies..:o

None needed. Welcome to the human race. :eek:;p