Waiting for a cabin assignment on a guarantee

wwinfl91

Has anyone ever been "bumped" off due to overbooking with a guarantee. I've booked a guarantee on a segment of next year's world cruise. I've only ever done one other HAL cruise so I have no status at all. Since it's sold out, I'm just a bit concerned.

Has anyone ever been "bumped" off due to overbooking with a guarantee.

Not that I have ever read of in all my years on Cruise Critic. If it had ever happened, I am certain something about it would have been posted.

There is one circumstance where people have been bumped from a cruise, and that involves people who are booked at the very, very low travel agent rates.

If you are paying a published fare, even with TA discounts and/or on board credits, then you have no need for concern.

We are down to a week with no assignment. We really wanted to try HAL for the itinerary and to compare to Celebrity. HAL is not comparing favorably.

We will see how they do with prime rib and creme brule.

We are down to a week with no assignment. We really wanted to try HAL for the itinerary and to compare to Celebrity. HAL is not comparing favorably.

It's extremely uncommon to get a guarantee assignment with HAL before 2 weeks out. (I know Celebrity assigns them immediately, but HAL doesn't). Most of them come out around 12 days out, our latest was 1.5 days out. (and our best upgrade ever). I really hope you aren't serious that something like this would make you count HAL out...I've sailed both lines and like them equally for different reasons than guarantee assignment timing.

It’s been my experience that the closer you get to sail date when assigned, the better your cabin assignment.

My last two times I was assigned just a couple of days before sailing and both times I was upgraded from an OV to a veranda.

It’s kind of fun waiting to see what cabin I will get!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever been "bumped" off due to overbooking with a guarantee. I've booked a guarantee on a segment of next year's world cruise. I've only ever done one other HAL cruise so I have no status at all. Since it's sold out, I'm just a bit concerned.

Not that I have ever read of in all my years on Cruise Critic. If it had ever happened, I am certain something about it would have been posted.

There is one circumstance where people have been bumped from a cruise, and that involves people who are booked at the very, very low travel agent rates.

If you are paying a published fare, even with TA discounts and/or on board credits, then you have no need for concern.

There have been several instances of HAL overbooking a cruise. As far as I know, no one has been bumped, rather HAL keeps making a better and better offer until someone can change to another date or ship. On my Ryndam cruise in Dec 09, the roll call mentioned people getting offers. I was with a group of people who had one person cancel and I was a solo. We were able to move me to the second person in a cabin, replacing the cancellation, and freed up a cabin that way. Saved a bit of money and I believe got a bit more. It doesn't happen often.

It's extremely uncommon to get a guarantee assignment with HAL before 2 weeks out. (I know Celebrity assigns them immediately, but HAL doesn't). Most of them come out around 12 days out, our latest was 1.5 days out. (and our best upgrade ever). I really hope you aren't serious that something like this would make you count HAL out...I've sailed both lines and like them equally for different reasons than guarantee assignment timing.

Not really serious - just frustrated and these comments help calm me somewhat. We booked a VF on Koningsdam because my husband was very interested in what were reported to be larger balconies. . It would be somewhat ironic if we were upgraded for the first time ever. But we selected this cruise because of the itinerary and are mostly looking forward to the ports so the cabin is not our major concern.

I will keep my fingers crossed. Really looking forward to trying HAL for our 35th wedding anniversary cruise.

Not really serious - just frustrated and these comments help calm me somewhat. We booked a VF on Koningsdam because my husband was very interested in what were reported to be larger balconies. . It would be somewhat ironic if we were upgraded for the first time ever. But we selected this cruise because of the itinerary and are mostly looking forward to the ports so the cabin is not our major concern.

I will keep my fingers crossed. Really looking forward to trying HAL for our 35th wedding anniversary cruise.

Great, I'm glad to hear you weren't serious. :) As I said, we do like both lines, but I do think HAL has better itineraries and definitely has better laundry options.

Great, I'm glad to hear you weren't serious. :) As I said, we do like both lines, but I do think HAL has better itineraries and definitely has better laundry options.

We sailed Celebrity in October and HAL in January. Since the cruises were so close we made a list of things we liked about each cruise line. Itinerary and laundry were check marks for HAL to be sure. Celebrity’s loyalty program/perks are its strengths. There were many more things we listed for each but the point is both will provide a positive cruise experience.

Last year we had a "guaranty" OV on the Koningsdam. We got our cabin assignment @ the Port. We were very happy with our cabin which was the Family OV with the 2 bathrooms. Great location for getting on/off ship.

I too am waiting for a guarantee cabin assignment, I am about 40 days out. I used to be able to look at the old HAL website to see there there was no stateroom assigned, yet. With the recently implemented new website, that page seems to have been removed and there is no where to look anymore for the stateroom that I can find. It also seems I now have a male roommate. I am a woman sailing solo, LOL! I can't wait to see who I get. I hope he is charming and good looking. I have not attempted the boarding pass thing, but I imagine I will find out when I get to the dock. :(

Hi, I generally travel alone and have only recently heard of this program where they match you up with a roommate. Have you done this before? I've thought about it to keep my costs down, but I've run into people on board that I want to escape from. I wouldn't want to find out I'm sharing a room with one of them.

What's been your experience with this?

Anyone?

Retired Now Traveller.

Once you get an assignment, will HAL allow you to switch to any other open cabin in the same category?

It's been known to happen. The problem is that they make most of the assignments at once, and if the cruise is sold out (as so many of the are), there is no place to move you to.

Worth asking about, though. It happened to me once.

It's been known to happen. The problem is that they make most of the assignments at once, and if the cruise is sold out (as so many of the are), there is no place to move you to.

Worth asking about, though. It happened to me once.

Thank you for the info! I've not done a HAL guarantee before so it's nice to know what's possible.

Once you get an assignment, will HAL allow you to switch to any other open cabin in the same category?

Given the logistics involved with these last minute assignments, it might be very tough to do. You can always ask, but do not count on it.

Got my cabin assignment today for 5/1 Zaandam

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh boy...we're 5/7 Zaandam. I better be patient. We don't do guarantees very often -- only when we book late and availability is limited. I've been checking the website about 10 times a day. I clearly don't have the cool required to book guarantees. :D

Ha! Yes me too! We are 12th May and I am checking regularly. There are still a lot of verandah and suites available, Neptune seems sold out. I wonder if that's their upsell department working.

Oh boy...we're 5/7 Zaandam. I better be patient. We don't do guarantees very often -- only when we book late and availability is limited. I've been checking the website about 10 times a day. I clearly don't have the cool required to book guarantees. :D

Ha! Yes me too! We are 12th May and I am checking regularly. There are still a lot of verandah and suites available, Neptune seems sold out. I wonder if that's their upsell department working.

I start checking inventory about 2 months ago, about once a week, if I am interested in an upsell. That way if it suddenly shows Sold Out, I have a pretty good idea if it is really sold out or if HAL is just getting ready to do upsells (they normally shut off a category when they do upsells).

I start checking inventory about 2 months ago, about once a week, if I am interested in an upsell. That way if it suddenly shows Sold Out, I have a pretty good idea if it is really sold out or if HAL is just getting ready to do upsells (they normally shut off a category when they do upsells).

Hi Dave,

I'm looking forward to lots of cruises now that I'm retired. Can you explain what you mean (for the sake of a beginner.) What's an upsell and how does it work?

Thanks.

Bill

We sailed Celebrity in October and HAL in January. Since the cruises were so close we made a list of things we liked about each cruise line. Itinerary and laundry were check marks for HAL to be sure. Celebrity’s loyalty program/perks are its strengths. There were many more things we listed for each but the point is both will provide a positive cruise experience.

Funny, I did the same. Here's a thread I started a few years ago comparing the lines (a few things have changed since then, but I still like both lines for different reasons). https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2089300

Hi Dave,

I'm looking forward to lots of cruises now that I'm retired. Can you explain what you mean (for the sake of a beginner.) What's an upsell and how does it work?

Thanks.

Bill

Upsell is a term used alot on this board - it is what is also know as a "paid upgrade" when you speak with HAL (Holland America). HAL contacts you (either directly or through your travel agent (TA)) to see if you are willing to upgrade your cabin to a higher level one for a set price. If you accept the offer, you pay them immediately and MOST times you can pick your cabin from what is left in inventory at that time. If you like the deal, you should move quickly on it as the best deals go fast (sometimes in a matter of minutes).

The way HAL contacts you varies. If you booked directly with them, you will get an email directly from them with the offer. If you booked through a TA, it will go to them and it is up to them to contact you (some TAs are better than others on this).

Usually these offers begin around 4-5 weeks prior to sailing, but this depends on how many cabins HAL want to sell upsells on. If the higher category is Sold Out, you likely will not get an upsell offer of course. If you get an offer 4-5 weeks out, it is very likely at a high price. HAL does this to "test the waters" so to speak. If not all of them are taken, about a week later you will get another offer, usually at a lower price. On it goes until HAL sells them out.

Hope this answers your questions.