Port or Starboard Alaska

ZSandy25

First cruise to Alaska ....looking at 14 day, June 18 sailing on Zaandam. Seattle to Seattle. We will be booking Vista class. Big Question...for those of you who have done Alaska and looking at the itinerary would you book Port or Starboard or is there no difference. Thanks my friends I know I can count on your good advice and comments.

First cruise to Alaska ....looking at 14 day, June 18 sailing on Zaandam. Seattle to Seattle. We will be booking Vista class.
I don't think it makes any difference, especially on a round trip ... but we don't book balconies in AK and we're only in our cabin to sleep/change/bathe/etc, not when there's anything outside to see.

I agree that it won't matter on a round trip. We did the 14-day last year in a stateroom on the stern of the ship. You can see port and starboard from the same spot. Tune your TV to the bridge cam and you will see what lies ahead. We did this for our Norwegian fjords cruises and it was perfect!

I agree that it doesn't matter which side. In my experience sea days (the first day up and last day back) are too far from the shoreline to really matter if you you have a view from your stateroom (and there are lots of great places on the ship to sit anyway). In Glacier Bay the captain will turn the ship around at the glaciers and in Tracy Arm you get the same view on the way back out of the fjord from the opposite side.

We have done your 14 day itinerary a couple of times. Loved it.

We book port side. Many times the port side of the ship faces the glaciers longer than the starboard side.

Also in many ports, the port side faced inland so that we could sit outside and people watch.

Thank you KK and others for posting, it’s out of my hands now as we took a guarantee to get a great price. I’m sure we will have a great time for our first Alaskan adventure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk