11.20am flight out of Venice after cruise. Too Early?

pandigirl

I’m looking to book flights out of Venice afterour Norwegian Star cruise to get to Malta. The ship gets in at 7.30am.Unfortunately the flight times are all either early morning or late afternoonand we’d need to connect via Rome. I’ve not cruised into or out of Venicebefore but for anyone that has can anyone advise if we would be able to make a11.20am flight? I was thinking we would carry our luggage off rather than leaveit out the night before to save time. But not sure how quick the ship will getcleared for disembarkation to start and how bad the situation is for getting ataxi to the airport. Anyone cruised into Venice that can shed some light?

A little reading on the board would reveal this is doable, but as mentioned, you need to carry your bags off, and get a cab. As commonly discussed, taxis generally aren't standing by, you need to book one.

How fast the ship clears depends on where you have been. Probably little or no delay.

I wouldn’t do before noon. You need to be there three hours ahead, it can be a zoo especially with multiple ships. Better yet stay a few days in Venice, it is so worth it.

Last time we switched our flights to later ones based on advice here and were glad we did.

I wouldn’t do before noon. You need to be there three hours ahead, it can be a zoo especially with multiple ships. Better yet stay a few days in Venice, it is so worth it.

Last time we switched our flights to later ones based on advice here and were glad we did.

You don't need to be there 3 hours ahead, unless you flying direct to the US. The OP is flying to Rome to connect to Malta. 2 hours is fine.

I'd rather wait at the airport for an extra hour and enjoy a gelato than worry about missing my flight !

We arrived 2 hrs prior to our flight to Spain and were told we probably wouldn't make the flight. We ran all the way to the gate and they closed the door behind us. Nerve wracking!

For a noon flight to JFK we arrived at 9:30 and only had about 10-15 minutes to spare before they called for boarding.

I've read there's construction/remodeling happening at the airport. If so, things will be even more chaotic than usual.

We've had several odd experiences during our travels in and out of Venice; from a vaporetto strike as we were heading to the airport, to airport personnel misplacing our luggage, to almost missing a flight because we were only TWO hrs early. In other words, stuff happens.

Better safe than sorry. For an 11:20 flight I'd be there around 8:30am. And since most cabs are reserved, I'd reserve a cab or car service.

Really? I've never heard of that happening before.

this seems to be specific to Venice that you cant carry bags off with you[unlessyou are travelling so light it is small enough to be hand luggage]

not sure why but someone else speculated probably because limited terminal space

We are already staying in Venice a few days prior to the cruise. We don't need that much time there. We are only flying to Malta and can pre check in online before getting to the airport as well.

this seems to be specific to Venice that you cant carry bags off with you[unlessyou are travelling so light it is small enough to be hand luggage]

not sure why but someone else speculated probably because limited terminal space

accident post

Edited by pandigirl