Italy and Croatia from Malta. Any port tips?

Stevedalton

We're booked on a one-week Italy and Croatia cruise from Malta later this year. So far we’ve booked a couple of excursions - Cable car and Cavtat in Dubrovnik and San Marino and Ravenna in Ravenna. Looking for ideas from you seasoned travelers for things to do in Valletta (just have a few hours pre-cruise), Venice and Split. All ideas welcome! Thanks.

We aren't really fans of ship tours unless it's something which is difficult to diy, so I can't give any recommendations for those. In Venice we took the metromover to Piazalle Roma, then bought a one day ticket for the vaporetto (waterbus) which we used to go down the Grand Canal to St Marks square. We'd already bought tickets for the Doges Palace Secret Itineraries tour which was the highlight of our day in Venice. We booked the tickets by phoning the number on the palace website rather than paying the inflated prices charged by ticket agents. It was easy to do despite not speaking any Italian (after the Italian intro they repeat the same in English)

http://palazzoducale.visitmuve.it/en/the-museum/layout-and-collections/secret-itineraries/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g187870-d194251-r3840813-Doge_s_Palace-Venice_Veneto.html

Edited by suekay

Yes Venice is easy to DIY. As suggested get to P. Roma and get the vaporetto down the Grand Canal (Line 1). It's really worth doing - you don't get those views of the Palaces except from the water and they are fabulous. I think it's €7.50 for a single trip.

If you're OK walking you may find you don't need to buy a day ticket which I think is €20 as it's quite walkable to get back to P. Roma and in so doing go via the Rialto Bridge and the 'back' canals which gives you a real feel for the city. You will get lost but you're never really lost as all the direction signs at 1st floor level on the buildings will direct you to the main sites - Accademia, St Mark's and the Rialto so you soon get your bearings again.

As suekay says, good to plan ahead and have an idea of any attractions you want to visit - there can be long queues but it's possible to have a great day just wandering in Venice. Just take care in St Mark's - the cafés in the Square charge a lot for coffees! You might want to experience it but be aware of the cost. Cafés just off the main tourist spots are more reasonable. Likewise go to the quieter spots if you want a gondola ride. Prices can vary!

Valletta with limited time, I'd suggest you just make for the old part of the city - great views, very interesting architecture, buildings and plenty of places for a refreshments. If you exit the port and walk right along the main road for about 5 minutes(?) and across the road is the lift which will take you up to the higher level. There is a fare but it's very cheap and worth it to gain all that height. It depends on your timings but there is a gun salute at 12.00 each day from the Battery in the area where the lift takes you. But it's definitely worth looking round.

Split is interesting too and easy to explore independently. Diocletian's Palace is free to wander around - there are interesting buildings, cafes etc inside the walls - it's quite an extensive area. There is a lovely promenade area with cafes and palm trees on the harbour front.

Yes, Diocletian's Palace in Split is amazing. From Valetta, I went on an excursion to Mdina, from memory about 30 minutes away, a very old town that was particularly important in the period of Arab rule and a fascinating place to wander round. IIRC, that only took half a day and for the remaining time we were taken around Valetta,

Thanks all. We’ve been to Venice years ago and did the Gondola ride, St Marks square (I seem to remember going up some large tower there) and paid a fair few Euros for a coffee and 'music' at Florians café (saw a Japanese father of 4 nearly turn the table over when they presented him with his bill for one drink each plus €5 p.p. times 6 for 'music'. That was fun!). The Doges palace secret itinerary tour looks good so I’ll check that out plus the old town in Valetta. We're arriving at 10.30am on the day if the cruise so by the time we get to the port I understand we can leave our cases there, go away and come back later to check-in/board. Is that right? (No time after the cruise as our flight leaves at 12.30 in the day we get back). Any idea what time the ship leaves - when I spoke to someone at P&O customer services they seemed to think we'd be okay until about 5pm or even later.

We did Malta to Venice on Oceana last year and loved everything about the ship and the itinerary.

We had an early morning flight from Gatwick which got us to the ship in time to have lunch on-board and get our cases into the cabin before heading off to explore Valletta.

As others have said, we walked along the waterfront with the sea on our right until we got to the Barrakka Lift. It's a bit hidden but there's the odd sign to 'Elevator'. You can see it on Google Maps. I think it was 1euro to go up and free to come down and saves a lot of time and leg work. It takes you to Upper Barrakka Gardens where you have a good view over the Grand Harbour and cruise ships.

From there it's easy to explore the old town. We went to a restaurant in front of St Johns Co-cathederal for old time's sake and had a local beer under the shade of a parasol whilst looking forward to the cruise ahead.

We had plenty of time and I think we planned it to get back to the ship in time for the safety drill and unpack before a shower and pre-dinner drinks.

In Venice we took the people mover to Piazzale Roma (about 1.5eu each way) and from there walked to St Marks by following signs to Rialto and San Marco. This of course took us over the Rialto Bridge.

From St Marks we walked out the other side of the square to the canal, turned right and walked along the water's edge. If you keep walking for a few minutes until you're forced to turn right then you will find the famous Harry's Bar on the corner. If you're feeling flush you can pop in for a Bellini.

From there we just meandered, stopped for lunch and loosely followed signs to P. Roma to pick up the people mover again.

In Split the ship docks in the town and it's an easy stroll to Diocletian's Palace which we thought was great. A labyrinth of old alleyways with many shops and restaurants.. We had an al-fresco pizza and wine lunch at a small restaurant called Mediterraneo within the walls of the complex and found it both very friendly and inexpensive.

If you walk back to the ship and then keep going in the opposite direction to the town you will soon come to a long beach with a promenade where you will find a bar for a drink. There's enough within walking distance of the ship to fill a day in port.

We went late September and had great weather so hope you are as fortunate.

Of around 15 cruises this one was up near the top for overall enjoyment.

I should have said, at Valletta harbour it was off the coach, straight through check-in and on to the ship. No waiting around. Straight to the cabin, off for something to eat and the luggage was waiting at the door when we got back to the cabin again.

It went like clock-work.

Thanks. Sounds just what we're looking for. We are going in August so hopefully the weather should be perfect. :D

We celebrated our Silver wedding anniversary in 2009 on the Oceana and we did a 2 week Western Med cruise from Southampton. Can’t wait to get back on it, especially as I read that it has had a recent refit. We’ve been on bigger ship since but for us, Oceana was the perfect size.

Thanks. Sounds just what we're looking for. We are going in August so hopefully the weather should be perfect. :D

We celebrated our Silver wedding anniversary in 2009 on the Oceana and we did a 2 week Western Med cruise from Southampton. Can’t wait to get back on it, especially as I read that it has had a recent refit. We’ve been on bigger ship since but for us, Oceana was the perfect size.

Hi, we were on Oceana 2 years ago and from what we remember we didn't sail from Venice until about 10pm mid August. It gave us the time to have a meal just off St Mark's Square and soak in the atmosphere. It was amazing. We also did the Bell Tower which is amazing and gives unforgettable views of the area.

We have done the Cable Car and Cavtat excursion in the past and really enjoyed it. I think it gave us time to go back in to Dubrovnik afterwards rather than going back to the ship so I would go for that. The bus 'stop' for the coach to the ship is just outside the city walls so no worries about how far it is.

Split I would do on your own.

Enjoy your cruise. We have just got off and loved this lovely ship. She is looking good after her refurb and like you we have a 'soft spot' for her.

:-)

Yes the bell tower (Campanile) gives fantastic views. I went up it a couple of years ago, and while I was at the top the bell rang. (ISTR that it doesn't ring for every hour but just a couple of times a day.) My hearing is just about recovering. :)

Thanks all. We’ve been to Venice years ago and did the Gondola ride, St Marks square (I seem to remember going up some large tower there) and paid a fair few Euros for a coffee and 'music' at Florians café (saw a Japanese father of 4 nearly turn the table over when they presented him with his bill for one drink each plus €5 p.p. times 6 for 'music'. That was fun!). The Doges palace secret itinerary tour looks good so I’ll check that out plus the old town in Valetta. We're arriving at 10.30am on the day if the cruise so by the time we get to the port I understand we can leave our cases there, go away and come back later to check-in/board. Is that right? (No time after the cruise as our flight leaves at 12.30 in the day we get back). Any idea what time the ship leaves - when I spoke to someone at P&O customer services they seemed to think we'd be okay until about 5pm or even later.

Looks like 20.00 departure from Valletta.

If you go onto this link and click 'View' for your departure date it will show you all the port times but from those I've looked at, it looks as though it's 8pm each week.

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/ItineraryLookup/tabid/2918/Default.aspx

Just done the cable car and Cavtat trip on Aurora; great excursion. You go very early so you get the first cable car up and beat the queues; the views are spectacular. Then the bus picks you up for a lovely scenic drive along the coast to Cavtat. Do the walk around the little peninsula by the monastery; it only takes half and hour and again the views are wonderful. Thought it was one of the better trips.