Questions about dining on the Magic

Hi - can you please tell me what the dinner buffet is like in the Lido? Are there lots of options for dinner? Is it generally pretty good? On the other cruises we've been on we've enjoyed dinner in the MDR, but we usually have one or two nights that we just want to stay by the pool or have something low-key.

Also - I've seen some references to sea-day brunch in the MDR. Looking for any additional information about that. Thank you!!! :)

Hi - can you please tell me what the dinner buffet is like in the Lido? Are there lots of options for dinner? Is it generally pretty good? On the other cruises we've been on we've enjoyed dinner in the MDR, but we usually have one or two nights that we just want to stay by the pool or have something low-key.

I can't speak for the Magic specifically but we've been pleased with the Lido for dinner in general, on those nights when we didn't feel like going to the MDR (due to timing, sub-par menu choices, etc.)

On the Vista last October we were happy to see some of the same MDR entrees that night also offered on the Lido. No, you won't see lobster tails or prime rib, but some other entrees were available. And unlike during lunch, there wasn't a huge crowd in the Lido for dinner and tables were plentiful.

Don't forget that the Carnival Deli will also be open during the evening for a few more choices and, like the Lido, shouldn't be too crowded during MDR dinner hours.

There should also be a late-night snacks option available...on Vista, it was located next to the Deli in the buffet area and was open 'til 1 am with some pastas, sandwiches, etc.

Also - I've seen some references to sea-day brunch in the MDR. Looking for any additional information about that. Thank you!!! :)

Highly recommended. I thought the steak-and-eggs was among the best meal combinations I had on the entire journey, and others wax poetic about the Eggs Benedict. :)

Food is subjective.

The Seaday Brunch has a special menu and is repeated on the sea days. They have various dishes that I have considered good.. You actually can eat there at breakfast and return for lunch as there are varied selections. The end of the brunch is set for 1:30. There is a Pollo fra diavalo and a filet mignon offered which are both good quality. There are specialty breakfast items such as cereal crusted french toast and sometimes special pastries such as popovers.Some pastry items vary from ship to ship. We as a family with cruising grandchildren have enjoyed these meals on several Carnival cruises.:)

DH and I took advantage of a last minute deal so now we seem to be stuck with the late dining option only. We originally requested any time dining but that option was not available and we were then wait listed for early dining. Today received an email from Carnival that our request for early dining can't be met. I know that on embarkation day we can go to the dining room to request another seating time but does anyone have suggestions for another way around this?? It is just the 2 of us so hard to believe that we can't be worked in somewhere !!

Edited by HappySails4U
Punctuation

DH and I took advantage of a last minute deal so now we seem to be stuck with the late dining option only. We originally requested any time dining but that option was not available and we were then wait listed for early dining. Today received an email from Carnival that our request for early dining can't be met. I know that on embarkation day we can go to the dining room to request another seating time but does anyone have suggestions for another way around this?? It is just the 2 of us so hard to believe that we can't be worked in somewhere !!

Did you email the ship maître d?

Totally agree that sea day brunch (steak and eggs yes!) can be one of the best meal experiences on Magic, and we usually enjoyed the lido buffet as well on most days. MUST try the coconut tres leches cake at the dessert counter, one of the best tasting desserts that I can ever remember having on a cruise ship.

Most of my meals on Magic last week were on Lido. We had anytime dining. We went to the dining room only the first 2 nights. Service was really slow the first night, which we figured was just because of the madness that is embarkation day. However, our friend's brisket was like a hunk of shoe leather. The 2nd night, we had only 1 waiter instead of a team. I felt sorry for the guy, since he had no help. There was also a fairly large section of tables that had no one seated at them even though there were quite a few people waiting for tables. We wondered if several of the waitstaff were out sick. After that, we opted for Lido, which actually seemed better than I remembered from a couple of years ago. It was easier to do that & be sure we could make it to the activities at night. We did go to the Italian restaurant one evening. Food & service there was very good, even if the singing was a bit off key.

As for MDR we usually went for our YTD as soon as the doors opened and were seated right away or within 5 minutes. Our waiter team was excellent and after the first night we always asked for the same crew. If the food in MDR didn't satisfy then later on we would hit the lido buffet.

One thing that we did notice tho is that the buffet desserts were always better at lunch than for dinner. That may have been because they focus more on MDR at dinner time. But the lunch dessert counter always had the whole cakes that they didn't slice until you asked for it, and they were all fresh, moist and super delish. Yes we tried them all :)

Oh and one more thing, the Deli....DH said that the Reuben (usually his fave) barely had any meat on it at all (you can probably ask for 'extra'), but on the other hand the tuna on toast that he got a day or two later was stacked with tuna. I didn't try the Deli myself but it seemed really popular.

Did you email the ship maître d?

What is the email address for Magic? We have a somewhat similar situation, except our 2 bookings are split (one with YTD and one with Late) and I've tried multiple times to get it fixed and haven't made headway over the phone. I would love to have this settled before our trip June 9. We (5 of us) would prefer YTD, but at least we all need the same!

We only did the Lido for dinner on the last night, and it was very good. Lots of options, and I honestly thought the food tasted better than the MDR.

I can't comment on Lido dinner because that is just not our style. We prefer MDR and specialty restaurants and I can't say enough about steakhouse and Jijis. Those are musts for us. Guys will stay open til 6 - so you can grab a burger there as well as pizza and hang by the pool.

As for sea day brunch, it is very easy to run a search to see the menu. We have consistently enjoyed it. Around 11/1130 they will switch from the morning pastry basked to popovers which IMHO are delicious! You really can go for breakfast, and then back again at lunch and have 2 different meal experiences. The cheesecake on that menu is wonderful!

Has many different types of food on At buffet. It’s really the question of so you want to spend 2 hours eating in MDR. Restaurant type feel, being served, app, soup, main and desert. Or you want to served yourself at buffet. Eat and get out much faster. More of a cafeteria feel.

Some people don’t get to go out to restaurant very offered and totally enjoy the MDR. Others don’t. Some of Us like Red other like Green

I cruised on the Magic in January 2018, ate every night at the LIDO buffet. It was way better than being stuck in the MDR for a couple hours. Food was great, fresh and hot. Some of my favorites were a chicken breast stuffed with spinach, teriyaki salmon, a pasta dish with scallops, the hand carved strip loin. It was all great.

We ate on the Lido deck on the Magic this past summer. It was my first time ever eating dinner at the buffet. I was pleasantly surprised, it was quite good with a decent variety.

The sea day brunch in the MDR is a must, it's very good Breakfast in general is miles better in the MDR compared to the buffet. We rarely eat breakfast at the buffet.

We must have had fabulous service because we are seated at 6pm and done and out by 7:15

I do not know how people are sitting in the MDR room for hours when there is another seating soon after we sit there