Loyalty not rewarded

Toronto Guy

Very interesting conversations from a whole lot of folks. Kind of covers all types of thinking from all types of economic levels. One point I specially agree with is , you choose based on personal preference and perceived value. Agreed! But! In my opinion that sets a standard , an expectation of future choices. Also what has happened on X with retaining customers? Are they pricing out the conservative buyers. Do they care?

I just booked Edge for a May 2019 Med sailing, it will be my last. My decision had nothing to do with perks or loyalty. Strictly it was made on their complete disregard for us as good customers. Let me explain.

We like C cabins and booked a C-2 for an 11 day Med cruise out of Rome. Over a a month after our booking we heard rumors our bank of cabins had been changed to AQ. Now most folks would have loved that predicament. We called our TA she had no info. We called X no info. After two days one of the couples that was traveling with us received verified info that indeed our cabins had been changed. We where happy but concerned that the dinning reservations we had made would be canceled , so we inquired? Following are the options given to us:

1. Pay the AQ price for the Cabin they changed after our purchase.

2. If we stayed in our cabin all the reservations we made would indeed be canceled.

3.Our assigned restaurant would indeed be Blu and no reservations could be made till day of boarding for the 4 new dinning main restaurants. We would loose the time slots we had reserved .

4. They would put us in another C-2 cabin but with an obstructed view by the Magic Carpet at a higher cost.

5. Choose one and take it or leave it.

We are Elite customers 11 cruises on X, 8 on RCL mostly Oasis ships, 3 on Azmara, 4 Disney, numerous on other lines like O,Viking,Costa,Regent, etc. Our choices are driven by itineraries, good service and quality of the product. All that said our biggest choice point is, Common sense business practices, X just lost our business.

By the way we started as bottom feeders and worked our way up.

Now, this is a totally appalling treatment for any customer , leave alone to a loyal customer! Different reasons for disappointment to that this f the TS’s and yours are absolutely, totally justifiable! Really sorry to hear that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GIZMO81, You do have another option which you failed to mention. CANCEL the cruise. In a true sense that is voting with your money. Will Celebrity care if you cancel? Probably not. But as long as the cruise industry is booming, there is little incentive for Celebrity to be nice to frequent customers.

Hank

GIZMO81, You do have another option which you failed to mention. CANCEL the cruise. In a true sense that is voting with your money. Will Celebrity care if you cancel? Probably not. But as long as the cruise industry is booming, there is little incentive for Celebrity to be nice to frequent customers.

Hank

Agree. Only reason we didn’t is we wanted to experience Edge. If it wasn’t for that we would have canceled. That said it would have been my option not one they offered, lol. They would have loved for me to cancel , as you said they would have had no problem selling our Cabin. 😎

Agree. Only reason we didn’t is we wanted to experience Edge. If it wasn’t for that we would have canceled. That said it would have been my option not one they offered, lol. They would have loved for me to cancel , as you said they would have had no problem selling our Cabin. [emoji41]

So, are you still going, in AQ?

Or no loyalty program at all. No need to offer perks or loyalty benefits because everything is already included. Try Viking Ocean, Crystal, Seabourne, Silversea, etc.

Oh wait - one perk especially for the obnoxious OP: You won't have to share the ship with us "bottom feeders".

I am the OP and that was certainly not me that said that. That was somebody else.

We like C cabins and booked a C-2 for an 11 day Med cruise out of Rome. Over a a month after our booking we heard rumors our bank of cabins had been changed to AQ. Now most folks would have loved that predicament. We called our TA she had no info. We called X no info. After two days one of the couples that was traveling with us received verified info that indeed our cabins had been changed.

Terrible. If celebrity wants to change stateroom categories, they should make the change as of a certain date for all new bookings after that date. I don't understand, nor agree, with changing a category type after a booking has been made and deposit paid by someone ...

I realize the fine print may legitamitely give them the 'right' to do so, I just don't think they should !

So, are you still going, in AQ?

In limbo. Currently still booked , formal complaint filed by my TA for us. So yes AQ as of now. Hey may end up canceling.... :cool:

In limbo. Currently still booked , formal complaint filed by my TA for us. So yes AQ as of now. Hey may end up canceling.... :cool:

If the price was right - just go with the flow! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If the price was right - just go with the flow! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

He was sold a product. The product that was delivered was not what he ordered. He was told he would HAVE to pay more for the delivered product even though he didn't even want that product. Or let the product go back to the warehouse.

Nobody would accept that scenario with, say, a car or a washing machine. Why is it okay with a cabin?

He was sold a product. The product that was delivered was not what he ordered. He was told he would HAVE to pay more for the delivered product even though he didn't even want that product. Or let the product go back to the warehouse.

Nobody would accept that scenario with, say, a car or a washing machine. Why is it okay with a cabin?

Lol,never thought of it that way. Thanks.

Well I’m satisfied,not happy but satisfied. My TA’s intervention got some results. I was offered a new C-2, no cost change. The location doesn’t thrill me but we want to experience Edge. From starboard 10198 close to the Magic Carpet slide path to port side 12123 right below pool deck. We accepted. So we maintain all our planned dinning reservations and we don’t have to be tied in to AQ benefits that we didn’t want. Also 12123 is in a corner of the pool deck so noise may not be bad.

All that said the hassle we endured should never have occurred if X had used common sense.

I appreciate all comments on the board and suggestions. If any one is traveling on the May 25th 2019 Greek Isles Cruise out of Rome look us up Cabin 12123 we won’t be in Blu. Wink,wink... 👍

There is a history of cruise lines altering Loyalty benefits after they are earned. Probably the most egregious example happened a few years ago on RCCL (now RCI) when those with Diamond status had unfettered access to the Concierge Lounges (which offered numerous benefits including free cocktail hours). RCI eliminated that benefit for Diamond (now its for Diamond Plus) and for a period of time had nothing comparable for Diamond folks on most ships. They have since installed Diamond Lounges on their newer ships although the benefit of those lounges is arguably not up to the standards of Concierge Lounges.

And then you have MSC which has a very aggressive Loyalty Program. But all the Loyalty benefits expire if one fails to take a cruise within a certain period of time. And there are numerous other examples. The cruise lines apparently do not feel obligated to continue Loyalty Programs as originally formed. And there are other times that Loyalty Programs become a big nothing. On many longer HAL cruises, there are so many 4 and 5 Star Mariners (we are talking folks with hundreds of days) that its impossible to give them certain priorities such as for tendering. And while Princess still will provide unlimited Free Laundry for Elites, on some cruises they will send a letter to all the Elites telling them it will take at least 3 days to get your laundry back and you cannot send laundry for the last 3 days of a cruise.

Hank

This is a simple issue replicated over more than 70 years in so many industries.

The word loyalty is obscene. Not relevant. There is no loyalty as in marriage.....

I have worked in 72 industries. Seen this and experienced that.

In the hospitality was a consultant and experienced the highest level travel for 30 years.

Here it is:

1) What have you done for me lately?

2) What have you ever done for me?

The two are very different and a mature management applies different benefits.

If the Johnny come lately are too many and expand to a progressively too large a class then as with all limited resource products, cuts need to be progressively entertained. The hospitality industry is notoriously negligent in forward thinking

on these issues, in my old age opinion.

Stand your ground and demand your rights. But with an ever expanding public

of rated cruisers, flyers, and bed consumers that benefits must evolve.

after our last cruise we got an email with a TY OBC in it. Tried to add it to the new booking (which was not listed under prohibited stacking) and NOPE...they wouldn't do it

I sent them the email and they saw that the new booking fit the description as when the OBC could be applied....but still NOPE.

So instead of the original $100 OBC plus the additional $100... they agreed to $50.

Big freaking deal.:rolleyes::rolleyes: :o

Getting chincy... and even though the next sailing is 17 days...

Sad..so much for the TY for sailing with us

My apologies, maybe I’ve misunderstood- I thought one option was to stay in the cabin for the same price but lose all restaurants’ bookings?

Andrea, the new head of loyalty marketing hails from the finance end, having previously worked for Citi and Amex, among a few others. She's been in the position for a little time now, I believe since September of last year. It will be interesting to see what changes will be made.

Instead of talking about benefits I'd like to quickly make a comment about how points are earned.

Here is some food for thought. A couple cruising in an inside cabin receives 2 captain club points per nights. Let says this couple spends $1,000pp for this room, so $2,000. For a 7 night cruise they'll be awarded 14pts. This particular couple only eats in the MDR, rarely orders a drink, doesn't purchase shore excursions, etc.

Now lets say another couple stays in the same room and pays the same $1,000p, so $2,000 total. Only this couple purchases the premium beverage package, they purchase a dining package, and they book a couple excursions. Over a 7 night cruise the dining package, premium drinks, and a couple shore excursions can almost add up to the price of another cruise as you'd be talking about $1,500 for drink and dining package alone.

The first couple spent a total of $2,000 and the second couple spent a total of $3,500 to $3,800. Yet, they're both being award the same level of points. What I wouldn't mind seeing in the future is a change to the program that somehow rewards those who spend onboard. If we look at the airline industry, airlines have mostly changed their programs tailored to ticket costs versus overall miles traveled. The hotel industry is slowly moving in that direction and the credit card companies have of course been doing it for years. From Celebrity's standpoint I think this would be a great way to encourage additional onboard spend.

Regarding the currently loyalty program, I'm not complaining much. We're Elite Plus. We always get the drink package so I've never even thought of the free drinks as a benefit or a non-benefit. I do like my free laundry and internet discount. At the end of the day we're loyal to Celebrity because we love what they have to offer.

Of course, as with everything in life, everything is subject to change.

As much as I grumble about the little stuff, I do appreciate it when I get a good cabin assignment - not that I can ever trace it to the loyalty program, but I do wonder sometimes. For example, we booked an inside guarantee at the last minute a couple of years ago and got a concierge class cabin. This time we booked lowest balcony guarantee and got a 1A angle balcony - so maybe it’s loyalty, maybe it’s not. We have had good luck with that for sure. I do also appreciate the one category upgrade if booking Aqua class so I can pay the A2 price and get the cabins we prefer at the aft, so it’s not all bad. ;-)

Andrea, the new head of loyalty marketing hails from the finance end, having previously worked for Citi and Amex, among a few others. She's been in the position for a little time now, I believe since September of last year. It will be interesting to see what changes will be made.

Instead of talking about benefits I'd like to quickly make a comment about how points are earned.

Here is some food for thought. A couple cruising in an inside cabin receives 2 captain club points per nights. Let says this couple spends $1,000pp for this room, so $2,000. For a 7 night cruise they'll be awarded 14pts. This particular couple only eats in the MDR, rarely orders a drink, doesn't purchase shore excursions, etc.

Now lets say another couple stays in the same room and pays the same $1,000p, so $2,000 total. Only this couple purchases the premium beverage package, they purchase a dining package, and they book a couple excursions. Over a 7 night cruise the dining package, premium drinks, and a couple shore excursions can almost add up to the price of another cruise as you'd be talking about $1,500 for drink and dining package alone.

The first couple spent a total of $2,000 and the second couple spent a total of $3,500 to $3,800. Yet, they're both being award the same level of points. What I wouldn't mind seeing in the future is a change to the program that somehow rewards those who spend onboard. If we look at the airline industry, airlines have mostly changed their programs tailored to ticket costs versus overall miles traveled. The hotel industry is slowly moving in that direction and the credit card companies have of course been doing it for years. From Celebrity's standpoint I think this would be a great way to encourage additional onboard spend.

Regarding the currently loyalty program, I'm not complaining much. We're Elite Plus. We always get the drink package so I've never even thought of the free drinks as a benefit or a non-benefit. I do like my free laundry and internet discount. At the end of the day we're loyal to Celebrity because we love what they have to offer.

Of course, as with everything in life, everything is subject to change.

Have to post my pet peeve on the program. We are 68 points away from Elite Plus. Now, if I go on a 5 day cruise I get 90 minutes internet, one (or two) bags of laundry, one gelato etc. Now, If I go on a 30 day cruise I get 90 minutes internet, one bag of laundry.....well you get the idea.

Have to post my pet peeve on the program. We are 68 points away from Elite Plus. Now, if I go on a 5 day cruise I get 90 minutes internet, one (or two) bags of laundry, one gelato etc. Now, If I go on a 30 day cruise I get 90 minutes internet, one bag of laundry.....well you get the idea.

Excellent point. I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent point. I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put me in charge.

What earns rewards actually to be reasonably fair, should fall into a number of categories. Each category earns dividends separate and distinct.

For example:

category 1: how many nights with no room differential. Now what you earn is then based on basic frequency. no bonus for any reason. night levels earn their unique

bonus items.

category 2: how much $ did you spend in the last 3 years. cabins paid for count so

buy one for the kids. they get nights and you get $. splurge for a wedding party

and there are rewards.

The idea makes the punishment fit the crime or the bonus fit the customer's contribution.

With the so many methods of economic discrimination there needs to be a variety

of reward technologies. Example: a 7 day cruise is 7 days. But in an undersold

situation prices can be discounted or rewards enhanced so $1000 spent for lifetime

could count as say $1500 where the cruise price might only compare to a $100 reduction. Choices...

If you’re on a 30 day cruise you’re at least on a b2b so would get two bags of laundry, one for each cruise. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is a great perk for the bottom feeders that only book the cheapest cabins and always look for the cheapest rates and deals that got to Elite Plus before the change. You got one point for each cruise no matter how long.

They are now Elite Plus and get many good perks like espresso drinks, Elite breakfast with drinks and the HH.

They continue to be bottom feeders and are happy with it . Don’t find any fault with it as they are taking advantage of everything.

Personally I would rather pay a little more and at least have a veranda. If it cost a few dollars more for the extra perks I will also pay the extra as the cost is often less then the benefits and value of enjoying a balcony.

We mostly sail in AQ and always walk past the Elite breakfast but rarely go in and if we do after breakfast no one ever checks. HINT HINT HINT

It is ironic that when Elite level was achieved all of the cruises after included the drink pack. The other perks don’t amount to much and the laundry is useless on a 7 day cruise unless you take dirty laundry with you��. The only perk that we basically use is the internet and on our last cruise that was 14 days we had 220 minutes remaining from our 240 (Elite Plus). We did us our laundry on that one.

Not complaining but telling it like it is

Happy cruising ����������

"Personally I would rather pay a little more and at least have a veranda. If it cost a few dollars more for the extra perks I will also pay the extra as the cost is often less then the benefits and value of enjoying a balcony."

How very fortunate for you. As a disabled cruiser, I long for a balcony, but on my upcoming cruise I can't afford one as the "few dollars more" is actually almost two thousand dollars. It's interior promenade view or no cruise, so I will be delighted with my cheap room.

Don't fret though, I will "only" turn Platinum/Select during this cruise, so you won't be contaminated by having to come into contact with this particular "bottom feeder" next time I cruise with X. Being in the UK we have been given drinks packages though, even though we are nowhere near your lofty status. :)

By the way - in my experience, "telling it like it is" is often used as an excuse to be extremely rude about other people. Not a nice trait.

How very fortunate for you. As a disabled cruiser, I long for a balcony, but on my upcoming cruise I can't afford one as the "few dollars more" is actually almost two thousand dollars. It's interior promenade view or no cruise, so I will be delighted with my cheap room.

Which cruise are you on Spanner? A difference of almost $2000 to jump from an inside or OV to a basic balcony seems incredibly steep.

Celebrity currently have 7 night suite deals from $1205 per person so I'm intrigued to know the specific details as it seems incredibly high. :)

Maybe I'm a bit of a dinosaur but loyalty schemes mean absolutely nothing to me. If I like the product I will buy it. My vacation money has a lot of places where it can end up both on land and at sea. Itinerary, value for money and the wow factor are all that count for me. If it happens to be a repeat purchase and I get some small benefit then all well and good. I understand and appreciate why others feel differently. Loyalty schemes in general have more valkue for the provider than the consumer. Captive marketing is very focussed and cost effective.

As much as I grumble about the little stuff, I do appreciate it when I get a good cabin assignment - not that I can ever trace it to the loyalty program, but I do wonder sometimes. For example, we booked an inside guarantee at the last minute a couple of years ago and got a concierge class cabin. This time we booked lowest balcony guarantee and got a 1A angle balcony - so maybe it’s loyalty, maybe it’s not. We have had good luck with that for sure. I do also appreciate the one category upgrade if booking Aqua class so I can pay the A2 price and get the cabins we prefer at the aft, so it’s not all bad. ;-)

I don't think loyalty plays much of a part in cabin assignment if at all to be honest.

Knowing how to play the game will ensure better cabins etc.

For example, we once booked a guaranteed suite. This was only our second ever Celebrity cruise. A few days later when our room number was allocated it was arguably the least desirable S2 cabin onboard Millennium. I wasn't the least bit surprised, we'd paid a cheap rate afterall so didn't deserve anything better. But thanks to advice from Cruise Critic I called our TA and cheekily asked if we could swap it for 6145. A cabin which along with 6146 is arguably the best S1 suite on the ship. Our request was granted.

We undertake our first ever RCL cruise soon. I'd read on their board that RCL newbies are regularly given cabin upgrades if booking guarantee rooms to help attract them to the brand. With that in mind I booked a guaranteed balcony with a set minimum level which we would have been happy with regardless. When our cabin was assigned we found out we'd been given a balcony room two categories higher than the minimum as had our companions who are also new to RCL.

In my book that's two good results and all thanks to the good people of Cruise Critic who offer good advice and nothing to do with loyalty.

Others may have different experiences. But paying attention to tips and hints on this board will save you far more $$$ than being a member of any loyalty program IMHO.