Voom-making phone calls?

Hello- Someone told me that you can make phone calls back to the states using an internet based phone website/app. (As you can see I'm not very tech savy.) Has anyone tried to call over Voom? or do you just text your family or send emails? Thanks for any info. Kathy

(I don't want to get home and be surprised with a big phone bill. :()

I use the Viber app and it does work well receiving and making calls. If the person you are calling also has Viber the calls are free. If the person does not, like my mom’s landline, the calls are a few cents which is deducted from the Viber account I set up with a few $.

In Europe I use an unlocked cell phone with a SIM card. For our next trip I got a SPEEK card from Amazon. The card gives you your own dedicated US phone number and making/receiving calls are pennies. The system automatically hooks you up with the local cell provider wherever you are. It is primarily for while we are in port but I am pretty sure that there will be times on the ship in the Med when we could get local cell service. I could use it for data as well but I don’t need it for data. The card is very cheap, no fees and easy to replenish.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, I use WhatsApp to make calls if your phone is unable to make WiFi calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The “WhatsApp” has 1.76 million users! Great app!!! I used it when my daughter was in Turkey for the summer. You could message, talk and FaceTime and didn’t cost me a thing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello- Someone told me that you can make phone calls back to the states using an internet based phone website/app. (As you can see I'm not very tech savy.) Has anyone tried to call over Voom? or do you just text your family or send emails? Thanks for any info. Kathy

Set up your phone for WiFi calling while at home. If you don't know how to do this, contact your cell carrier, they can walk you through it. Once you do this, your phone is fully functional over WiFi, no cell signal needed.

• Like 1

If I use the What's app or wi-fi calling via my cell phone can I make and receive calls from someone using a land line with no internet connection......... and what charges incur?

If I use the What's app or wi-fi calling via my cell phone can I make and receive calls from someone using a land line with no internet connection......... and what charges incur?

I don't know about WhatsApp, but with WiFi calling, your phone works the same (and the charges are the same) as if you are using it on the cell network at home.

• Like 1

I don't know about WhatsApp, but with WiFi calling, your phone works the same (and the charges are the same) as if you are using it on the cell network at home.

Thanks....i will set up wi-fi calling to try on our Caribbean cruises. For our port intensive Med cruise in October I plan to rely on my unlocked cell/Speeek sim card......no wi-fi needed; dedicated US phone #; an example of per minute rates: Italy 4 cents to make/ 2 cents to receive.......Spain 5/8......France 7/6......and I can have an easy contact with tour guides, hotels, restaurants as well.

Yes, I use WhatsApp to make calls if your phone is unable to make WiFi calls.

On a side note, the guy who invented this app went to my son's high school. When he sold the app and became a multi-millionaire, he was super generous to his alma mater! Donated money that he specifically said what had to be done with it. So the school got a beautiful swimming pool, new football field, renovated theater, great funding for the band and choir among other things. Great guy!

• Like 2

Facetime audio works great with VOOM.

On a side note, the guy who invented this app went to my son's high school. When he sold the app and became a multi-millionaire, he was super generous to his alma mater! Donated money that he specifically said what had to be done with it. So the school got a beautiful swimming pool, new football field, renovated theater, great funding for the band and choir among other things. Great guy!

Nice!

I’m not sure. My daughter and I were both on cell phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Facetime audio works great with VOOM.

Sounds a great bloke.

With my IPhone and Voom I have been able to WiFi call, FaceTime, text, etc. Just about everything I could do at home on WiFi. The only thing I had problems with was uploading text with more than one photo or a long video attached. It would work but take forever.

I’m illiterate when it comes to calling and texting with voom. If we have Voom we can call, text, or FaceTime while on the ship and it doesn’t cost anything? I have a son who is going to want to talk to his girlfriend while we are on the ship and on shore.

I’m illiterate when it comes to calling and texting with voom. If we have Voom we can call, text, or FaceTime while on the ship and it doesn’t cost anything? I have a son who is going to want to talk to his girlfriend while we are on the ship and on shore.

He will need to purchase the WiFi first. Cheaper to buy before the cruise than on the cruise. Voom and Surf cost me around £11 a day.

You can make and receive voice calls over VOOM if you enable WiFi calling on your phone. Do this at home, before you ge on the ship. Contact your cell carrier if you need help with this.

I’m illiterate when it comes to calling and texting with voom. If we have Voom we can call, text, or FaceTime while on the ship.

Yes, I have an IPhone 7 and can do all those things on the ship. FaceTime will drop out sometimes, but it worked fairly consistent on the Oasis in October. WiFi is WiFi so if you can do it at home via WiFi you will be able to do it on the ship via WiFi, just slower.

You can make and receive voice calls over VOOM if you enable WiFi calling on your phone. Do this at home, before you ge on the ship. Contact your cell carrier if you need help with this.

Make sure you put your phone in Airplane Mode while on the ship. Otherwise it will use the expensive ship cell service. WiFi Calling works in Airplane Mode.

• Like 1