Voom-making phone calls?

5 hours ago, tvo7 said:

Anyone use google voice/hangouts recently to make calls on cruise ship and does it work?

Yes, it's been reported to function over VOOM.   I also believe there has been at least one fairly recent report that it still works for free (no VOOM purchase needed) on Harmony.  If so, the same would likely apply to QUantum class ships.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tvo7 said:

How do you get it free? Don't you need internet access to use it?  Do you think they are just using logging into RCI app and then using the internet through that?

Royal has a hole in their firewall for iMessage and some other protocols.  So far this has only been reported on Harmony and Quantum class ships.

22 minutes ago, tvo7 said:

Speaking of wifi calling over Voom.  Since I might be flying to the cruise ship, has anyone tried to use  wifi calling or google voice on an airplane wifi?

VOIP has been blocked on any airplane internet I've used.

9 hours ago, tvo7 said:

Speaking of wifi calling over Voom.  Since I might be flying to the cruise ship, has anyone tried to use  wifi calling or google voice on an airplane wifi?

Calls are banned on flights.

Even on those that it will work, will stop you when the see you doing it.  I have seen them stop people several times.

Thanks Biker.

If you don't mind, which airline did you try out the texting on?

Did routine WIFI calling through your carrier work?

Do you think that you can receive and listen to a voicemail on GV?

9 hours ago, tvo7 said:

If you don't mind, which airline did you try out the texting on?

Did routine WIFI calling through your carrier work?

Do you think that you can receive and listen to a voicemail on GV?

JetBlue.

Yes.

Yes.

As mentioned the crew will stop you from making voice calls, even over wifi calling.

I can't remember if I have done texting on board, but I know I have used Skype, Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, and Google Hangouts to communicate from in the air.  For sure on Delta and United. 

Your were able to use WIFI calling and google hangouts to make calls on United?   Did the crew stop you?  I was thinking of using wifi calling only in extreme case and also use the earphones with the microphone so I can stay quiet. 

9 hours ago, tvo7 said:

Your were able to use WIFI calling and google hangouts to make calls on United?  

I'm pretty sure they meant texting, not phone calls, when they mentioned communicating via Hangouts. You much more likely to get a reply, if you quote a portion of their post.

Edited by Biker19

9 hours ago, tvo7 said:

Your were able to use WIFI calling and google hangouts to make calls on United?   Did the crew stop you?  I was thinking of using wifi calling only in extreme case and also use the earphones with the microphone so I can stay quiet. 

I have seen people stopped.  And I have heard other reports of people being stopped from making voice calls.

I am not stupid enough to try it. 😄

On 2/27/2019 at 9:56 PM, tvo7 said:

I made a wifi call on an American Airlines flight this week just because I was curious if it would work and it did no problem.

11 hours ago, mrb1963 said:

I made a wifi call on an American Airlines flight this week just because I was curious if it would work and it did no problem.

Probably they just did not notice when you did.

If you weren’t aware, the restriction against making calls from your cell phone during a flight does, apparently, apply to making calls over wifi, whether those are just voice or voice and video. In fact, many airlines block the use of services like Skype to prevent calls.

Doing so is against both FAA and FCC regulations.

The Transport Department and the Federal Communications Commission have both considered lifting bans on cellular and wifi calls on planes this decade, and on both occasions were shouted down by the public. The latest attempt, in early 2017, was met with more than 7,000 comments from the public–almost all of them negative.

12 hours ago, mrb1963 said:

Surprised that WiFi calling is not blocked.  I cannot get my phone into WiFi calling mode on Southwest.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 6:47 AM, SRF said:

I have seen people stopped.  And I have heard other reports of people being stopped from making voice calls.

I am not stupid enough to try it. 😄

Not listening to Flight Attendants. Many stories people being removed from plane, wouldn't risk not being aloud board connecting flight or banned from flying that airline and stuck w/o flight...

1 hour ago, tvo7 said:

Does anyone have a thought on going into the bathroom and make WIFI call in there?  Do you think the FA's can hear through the door even if you speak softly?

OMG.  How many times do people have to tell you that it is NOT ALLOWED?!?!?!?!?

• Like 1

I am surprised at all of the comments pertaining to talking on your phone while in flight. The only time I actually use a mobil device as a phone is on the rare occasion when I'm driving. I can't text but can use the hands free calling option in my car.  I can't imagine having to physically speak to someone during a flight Unless you are flying in a corporate jet or Air Force 1. With that said, does anyone remember when they had pay phones to use on the back of the seat in front of you?  I guess it was ok to talk on the phone as long as you were paying for it.

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

.... does anyone remember when they had pay phones to use on the back of the seat in front of you?  I guess it was ok to talk on the phone as long as you were paying for it.

I do remember those phones, with the slot for credit cards.  I forgot how much they cost, but it was not cheap.  Perhaps they found that the high price naturally  limited the use.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

I do remember those phones, with the slot for credit cards.  I forgot how much they cost, but it was not cheap.  Perhaps they found that the high price naturally  limited the use.

Probably was expensive. I have had a mobil phone since the bag phone design in the early 90's. It was for emergency use only because it was so expensive.