Voom-making phone calls?

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

My son who will not be joining us has the Android phone. Apple to Android required me to activate wifi calling unless I went through FB messenger. Don’t switch platforms unless you really want apple. 

Also, how does all this work when in a port city?  Find a cafe or hotel that has wifi?

12 minutes ago, Scottpush said:

Wouldn't Apple to Apple require you to activate wifi calling from a ship also?  Seems like Apple to Android or vice versa would also  require activating wifi calling from a ship also.

I tried it at home. I sent a wifi message in airplane mode no wifi calling on to my wife who has an iPhone and one to my son who has the Android. My wife received the message and my son didn’t. I received the message below. As you can see on the top of the phone I have a wfi connection. He was in another room of the house. Once I activated wifi calling he got the message. On the ship my wife would also need to connect to voom to receive the message. On a Celebrity was able to pick up a wifi signal and text anyone who had an iPhone if they were home or on the ship. As long as I was in airplane mode and had WiFi turned on. I didn’t even have to connect to the ships wifi. 

5D3BE2A9-B36A-40BF-8893-8C0EA01FDBB3.jpeg

Edited by Iamcruzin

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I tried it at home. I sent a wifi message in airplane mode no wifi calling on to my wife who has an iPhone and one to my son who has the Android. My wife received the message and my son didn’t. I received the message below. As you can see on the top of the phone I have a wfi connection. He was in another room of the house. Once I activated wifi calling he got the message.

5D3BE2A9-B36A-40BF-8893-8C0EA01FDBB3.jpeg

I see.  So better to have an iPhone if you're communicating to an iPhone.  My tenants probably have both so I don't think it matters whether I get an iPhone or Android.

4 minutes ago, Scottpush said:

I see.  So better to have an iPhone if you're communicating to an iPhone.  My tenants probably have both so I don't think it matters whether I get an iPhone or Android.

I’m not sure if it works the same way Android to Android. Maybe someone with an Android can verify.

Keep in mind you don't have to turn on WiFi calling unless you want to make telephone calls.  You don't even need a phone.  I used my IPad connected to just the ships WiFi to text, FaceTime, check Email, everything I do at home with it.  So if you don't want to talk to somebody other than via FaceTime and all you want to do is text, just buy VOOM and log on in airplane mode with WiFi turned on.  I always turned off my WiFi when in port just to avoid accidently logging into a seaport WiFi network I might not want to.  Keep in mind if you want to text other people on the ship they will have to buy VOOM also.  

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Interesting.  My Nexus 5 supported wifi calling but only with project Fi.  

Perhaps their implementation is different than AT&Ts.

Both AT&T and T-Mobile verified Nexus 6P doesn't support wifi calling.  I'm leaning towards buying a new phone thru T-Mobile.  They seem to be very reasonable and have good international traveling plans.  In fact I think its free overseas.  Have to research more. 

4 hours ago, twangster said:

I've only use unlocked phones.  My AT&T screen shot is from an unlocked iPhone 6S that used to be used with Straighttalk.  

On AT&T if you have an old SIM card it may require replacing it so wi-fi calling works.  

I still find TMo the easiest carrier to work with using just about any unlocked phone.  

I travel with an AT&T and a TMo phone. Wi-Fi calling works better with TMo, in my experience.  

AT&T call agents suck.  You are much better going into a store for support.  

I switched from ATT to T-mobile.  Was a long time ATT customer, but the T-mobile international is SO MUCH better.

I think you have to have a current sim card to WiFi call, as you are connecting to their mobile network at some point.   Without a sim card, you can use one of the 3rd party things, like Google Hangouts, Viber, Whatsapp, etc.

33 minutes ago, Scottpush said:

Both AT&T and T-Mobile verified Nexus 6P doesn't support wifi calling.  I'm leaning towards buying a new phone thru T-Mobile.  They seem to be very reasonable and have good international traveling plans.  In fact I think its free overseas.  Have to research more. 

I made the switch and have not looked back.

Unlimited texts, unlimited data (guaranteed 2G, but may be faster), calling is 25 cents per minute, in over 210 countries.  And supports wifi calling.

And if you buy a locked phone from them, then ask, they will unlock it.  Even if you are still paying for it.

42 minutes ago, Scottpush said:

41 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Include Project Fi in your research. 

I gave up on project Fi when the roaming in Canada didn't work right and support was non-existent.  Great price, but...

My personal phone is TMobile.  My work phone AT&T.

I do a fair amount of cruising and love TMobile's international data roaming that is included.  I opted for the One Plus package that doubled my international roaming speeds.  It's great getting off a ship and being to look up bars and restaurants and find directions where ever I am.  Plus I can tether my son's AT&T phone so he can access the internet through me.  Works at CocoCay and Labadee too.  With aging parents who have some health challenges I like being able to keep connected.  

Edited by twangster

12 minutes ago, SRF said:

I made the switch and have not looked back.

Unlimited texts, unlimited data (guaranteed 2G, but may be faster), calling is 25 cents per minute, in over 210 countries.  And supports wifi calling.

And if you buy a locked phone from them, then ask, they will unlock it.  Even if you are still paying for it.

Great info.  I'm going with T-Mobile.  Just have to pick a phone.  They said they'd unlock the phone after 3 months.  I'm sold.

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

I gave up on project Fi when the roaming in Canada didn't work right and support was non-existent.  Great price, but...

My personal phone is TMobile.  My work phone AT&T.

I do a fair amount of cruising and love TMobile's international data roaming that is included.  I opted for the One Plus package that doubled my international roaming speeds.  It's great getting off a ship and being to look up bars and restaurants and find directions where ever I am.  Plus I can tether my son's AT&T phone so he can access the internet through me.  Works at CocoCay and Labadee too.  With aging parents who have some health challenges I like being able to keep connected.  

Thanks a bunch

20 hours ago, Scottpush said:

Great info.  I'm going with T-Mobile.  Just have to pick a phone.  They said they'd unlock the phone after 3 months.  I'm sold.

Go ahead and ask before. 🙂

I replaced my 5G with an SE.  I called to unlock the 5G, as I was selling it to a friend.  They unlocked the SE.  So I called back and told them.  They unlocked the 5G and told me they really didn't care that my SE was also unlocked. 😄

1 hour ago, traveler1980 said:

I'm sure I should know the answer to this after reading this thread, but just to clarify.....

My phone is able to do wifi calling and I just verified it does.  Do I still need to buy VOOM to have wifi?  

Or wait until you are in port and find a free wifi spot.

Ask the crew, they will know where the free hotspots are, as they use them to keep in touch with family.

7 hours ago, traveler1980 said:

I'm sure I should know the answer to this after reading this thread, but just to clarify.....

My phone is able to do wifi calling and I just verified it does.  Do I still need to buy VOOM to have wifi?  

Yes, Unless you can find a hot spot in port.

1 hour ago, Mike A said:

I am on Anthem of the Seas right now with Voom,  iPhone and Verizon WiFi calling. Works flawlessly.  We have been texting and making phone calls as if we were home.

Thank you I also have Verizon and will be on the Anthem in June.

On 5/17/2018 at 6:46 AM, Host Clarea said:

Set up your phone for WiFi calling while at home. If you don't know how to do this, contact your cell carrier, they can walk you through it. Once you do this, your phone is fully functional over WiFi, no cell signal needed.

This is what I do on all my sailings. Friends & Family can call or text me just like any other time. No fee beyond the internet package. 

On 5/17/2018 at 5:46 AM, Host Clarea said:

Set up your phone for WiFi calling while at home. If you don't know how to do this, contact your cell carrier, they can walk you through it. Once you do this, your phone is fully functional over WiFi, no cell signal needed.

...but be sure to turn off you cell service in your phone settings before you head out to sea!  Y'know, just in case...

--bruce T.