Half Moon Cay

svgirl1

Can anyone tell me how warm the water is in March at Half Moon Cay. Is it warm enough for swimming or too cool. I have heard that the water can be kinda cool in the Bahama's early in the year. :)

There is no way to know for sure. We have been at HMC just about every month of the year and sometimes the water is mid eighties and other times it is noticeably cooler. We've been there over Christmas/New Years and it was heavenly. Other times in October, I would have liked it to be warmer. It is most likely that you will be able to enjoy swimming at HMC.There have been very few times when I thought the water too cool for me to swim....but I'm a whimp. :)

Hi Gang-

I've done a GOOGLE search on Half Moon Caye/Bahamas, and can find basically nothing.

On various forums, I've heard talk about Cabanas (for rent), BBQs (free??), etc.

Can anyone fill me in or give me a link?:confused:

Many thanks-

NNN

Hi Gang-

I've done a GOOGLE search on Half Moon Caye/Bahamas, and can find basically nothing.

On various forums, I've heard talk about Cabanas (for rent), BBQs (free??), etc.

Can anyone fill me in or give me a link?:confused:

Many thanks-

NNN

Half Moon Cay is HAL's private island for the sole use of their pax when visiting for a day on their cruise. (It originally was Little San Salvador, Bahamas, but is now called Half Moon Cay.) All activities while on the island are booked through HAL and can be found on the HAL website under shore excursions. If you do not choose to pay for any 'activities' such as snorkeling, fishing, a cabana for the day, etc. there is a beautiful beach and bbq for all to enjoy at no cost.

Here is just one article I found on Google, but you can look on the HAL website and Shore Excursion brochure on the website for more details.

http://www.destinationoceans.com/holland_america_line.asp?pageID=132

WE were at HMC in March 2005 - the water was very chilly. Very people were in the water.

We've had that happen several times. We've had the water warm as toast in December and then a little chilly in September......go figure. I'm sure it must have to do with currents so there really is no predicting.

Now THAT'S a photo album!:eek:

I've bookmarked it. Unfortunately, living in the middle of nowhere, I have to rely on a dial up connection. Today, it's painfully slow, so have just peeked at the thumbnails.

Wowie Zowie! What an island!

Many thanks, kiddo. I'm looking forward to actually VIEWING your photos!:D

Now THAT'S a photo album!:eek:

I've bookmarked it. Unfortunately, living in the middle of nowhere, I have to rely on a dial up connection. Today, it's painfully slow, so have just peeked at the thumbnails.

Wowie Zowie! What an island!

Many thanks, kiddo. I'm looking forward to actually VIEWING your photos!:D

hehehee Well thanks! Very nice of you! I hope you enjoy them, I know you will love HMC like the rest of us hehehe :)

• 2 weeks later...

We were at there over Christmas (Zaandam) and the water was fine... but it took maybe all of two minutes to get use to. We rented two floating rafts and difted around for about an hour. The entire area is roped off, so the currents can't wisk you off to another island!!!! If I had my way, the cruise ship should just park itself there for 6 days! The best island we went too by far!!!!

If I had my way, the cruise ship should just park itself there for 6 days! The best island we went too by far!!!!

That's what several of us said after our dec Westerdam cruise, wouldn't that be cool!!!! a floating hotel with nothing but a private beach!

I have been on HMC in the beginning of april and in dec, to tell you the truth, in my opinion, the water temp seemed the same, but then again I'm used to the only close ocean being the COLD pacific, so it seemed pretty warm to us. Don't worry about it, if the water seems too cold for you just lounge on the beach!

The photos of Half Moon Caye are fabulous...thank you for sharing. I know the cabanas are for rent but what about the shade that you see over the lounge chairs? Know that on a vacation to Florida those were for rent. Wasn't sure if they were free or not on Half Moon Caye? Also, do you have to purchase a tour to snorkel or jet ski or can you just do it on your own??

The water in HMC is pretty close to the water temp. in FL. Right now in West Palm Beach the temp. of the water is 71* and the air is 80*.

71* is cold water to the Floridians :eek: but warm to others:p .

I'll just be walking on the edge of the water - not in.

MaryAnn

Just want to know if it's worth the time and money. Or should I just sit and enjoy the beach? I was there once and it was too windy to do any water stuff but it was great weather. (It also made the tenders go much slower). The day was too short. I'm thinking about the eco kayak. any info would be appreciated.

thanks,

michelle

The water in HMC is pretty close to the water temp. in FL. Right now in West Palm Beach the temp. of the water is 71* and the air is 80*.

71* is cold water to the Floridians :eek: but warm to others:p .

I'll just be walking on the edge of the water - not in.

MaryAnn

The water was 84 and so was the aire in Aug :)

Archived