Getaway Internet / Messaging

Do you have to have an Internet package to message others with the NCL app? or is it free if you have the app?

My buddy and I want to be able to message each other and don't want to buy more than one Internet package if we don't have too.

To message each person using the free NCL App, download & install ahead & activate once onboard by connecting to ship's free WiFi inTRAnet, no extra charges aside from the one-time Messaging fee of $9.95 (varied by ship, to as much as $14.95 per "MAC address registered) to/from other registered users while connected to the onboard inTRAnet.

It does NOT use any inTERnet airtime/data minutes - delivery of the messages can be delayed sometimes, if the device had "timed" out & "dropped" for a period of extended inactivity and disconnected from the WiFi ... reconnecting & opening the App to refresh will usually load any unread messages.

Tech-savy smartphone/iPhone users familiar with their carrier-based text messaging plans & options, might find it cheaper to use that instead of buying the NCL package, as both your travel partner & yourself need to purchase it communicate with each other - if only a handful of messages are to be send/read/received during the cruise week.

See this for another details - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2507608&highlight=NCL

Do you have to have an Internet package to message others with the NCL app? or is it free if you have the app?

You do not have to buy the internet package.

The Free App provides you access to ship information including your account and activities on board for no additional charge.

If you want to use the app to text message or call eachother on the ship, you need to pay a one-time service charge of $8+ per device.

I just got off the Getaway and used the messaging feature. The app is free to download, but messaging costs $15 per device on the Getaway. I thought it was very useful and worth the price. You sometimes get push notifications when you get a message, but most of the time you have to open the app to see you got a message. You do not need to buy a WiFi package to use this feature.

Our price was closer to $15 per device this past time too- used to be lower but I assumed price hike during the holiday. The app worked terribly this time (not always the case) and the line for tech support at the computer center desk was ridiculous. https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

... is there a way that two people on board can text each other and/or text people at home while on the Getaway without using (ship's) wi fi plan?

Hmmm, yes ... it is possible, as long as both of you are comfortable and familiar with using your own postpaid carrier's text messaging plan (as a general rule, prepaid & MVNO plans generally do not work at sea, mainly for billing reasons) - key is to disable data roaming. Send/receive TXT messaging or SMS which can be as little to 25 cents or 5 cents to receive, free on certain plans, outbound messages varied - 25 cents, 50 cents or $1 at most

So, is there a way that two people on board can text each other and/or text people at home while on the Getaway without using the $125 wi fi plan?

This is a two part answer due to your "and/or."

The answer is that you can text others on the ship only without buying an internet package. You would have to download (before you leave on your cruise) the NCL iConcierge app, then pay the one time activation feed (was originally $9.95 per device, but seems to have been increased lately). You put your phone in airplane mode, then turn on the wifi only. You will be able to text any other device on the ship running the iConciege app.

Texting off the ship can be done two ways, both of which have additional costs. First, and cheapest, you buy a package of internet access minutes from NCL. Then you sign your phone onto the internet. Having done that, you can use any texting program which uses the internet to send and receive texts. One example of this is Facebook Messenger. Your phone remains in airplane mode and there are no cell phone data charges involved.

Second method (NOT recommended) is to turn on your cell phone as you normally would at home (i.e. turn OFF the airplane mode) and use traditional cell phone texting, otherwise known as SMS. This requires a cell phone connection. While the texting itself may be relatively inexpensive, the per minute charges for use of the ship's satellite cell phone service are not. However, this may be useful in an emergency situation.

I got the texting only package for about $30-$35 when I was on the Getaway in December; then you can text people at home, too.

The package you bought was a package of internet access minutes. The OP is asking about ways to text without buying the internet access.

My buddy and I want to be able to message each other and don't want to buy more than one Internet package if we don't have too.

Just returned from the western Caribbean cruise. The iConcierge app costed $14.95 per device plus a $3.95 one time service fee. It seems like people's experiences vary. For us, messaging from the app was very sporadic and most often delayed. My brother and I were messaging each other but never received anything most of the time. Once in a while received a message a day or two later. Not quick or reliable. Often received notification that messaging was not available. Calling on the app worked well. Even so, best option ended up being calling each other using the cabin phone. Recommend getting least expensive internet package for all parties. Then use facebook messenger. Check your mobile service provider. Some have a cruise package. We have ATT and they have a package for two NCL ships but not the Getaway. Keep in mind you're out at sea with 4000 other peeps so internet might be slower than on land in any case. Ship internet works on the ship only. Not at port when you are off the ship.

For communicating at ports when you are off the ship, get your mobile service provider's $10 per day unlimited call text data international plan. ATT and Verizon offer this so I am sure others do as well. Four ports=$40. Catch up with peeps at home, upload to Facebook on port days.

Edited by FamousD