Safe travels and I hope you have a wonderful trip! Let us know all about it when you get back!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using [URL=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452]Forums mobile app[/URL]

[quote name='awhfy']Anita, put fragile tags on your checked luggage. It gets put in with first class & comes out sooner. Melody
[/quote]

The cargo hold does not have separate sections for first class and coach like the passenger cabin does. Actual first class bags (and bags of elite level frequent flyers) usually get a priority tag that MAY cause them to be loaded onto the carousel first. And baggage handlers aren't well known for paying attention to "fragile" tags. ;)

Hi,

We have never cruised to Alaska before so would really appreciate any advice on what clothes to take. Our cruise starts 22 July and should it all be winter clothing and thermal underwear? We will have a few days in Vancouver and Seattle either side of the cruise but as we are travelling from the Uk do not want to bring too much stuff and we will be restricted as luggage is limited to 23kg.
We want to sled with the huskies but where is the best place? What trips do people recommend. I always book myself - never use the cruise trips as we have a teen and its better to be flexible when you travel with a teen.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

For tour recommendations, check out the Alaska forum - they also have quick links to recent trip reports so you can read about what people have done in different ports.

SE Alaska is a temperate rain foresty type place. It's not the arctic. It might be wet & windy, but in July it's unlikely to be frigid. Bring light layers so you can add/subtract as needed for the temps, and make sure your outer layer is waterproof.

I'm back. Just wanted to check in here and say that I'm available for continued Alaska wardrobe discussion!

I think we were blessed with really good weather overall. Vancouver was dry and warm.

Ketchikan had rain, no surprise, but it wasn't especially cold because the wind wasn't high. The rain was more of a light rain, not a southern gully washer...and it would come and go. Temps were in the 60s.

Icy Strait Point was dry. The sun was shining for a bit...but it was cloudy. It was cool on the water (we went whale watching)...but it also wasn't blustery cold. Definitely wanted gloves and hats though. Same moderate 60s temp.

Juneau was rainy off and on and overcast, with some patches of sunshine. Same temps.

Skagway was sun shine and beautiful. Probably the warmest weather...until we hit a spot at the lake that acted like a wind tunnel. The wind chill is severe...but getting away from it and into the sun shine was an immediate relief. Temps probably pushed toward 70.

Hubbard was sun shine and no wind. It was freezing cold on deck in the morning at 6:30 am...the wind was blowing. DS went back to the cabin to put on his long underwear pants and was much happier. I wore a cami, a long sleeved smart wool shirt, a furry fleece vest, my fleece pullover, and my raincoat. I also had on a hat, and I pulled my fleece hoodie on AND my raincoat hoodie on. I wore wind stop gloves. I wore my smart wool socks and my hiking boots, which really helped my feet and my core stay warm. I was wearing lined leggings and probably could have been more comfortable with a pair of jeans over those...or something else. As soon as the sun came out though...I was fine.

Seward was rainy and overcast and chilly on debarkation day.

Traveling to Anchorage that day, Anchorage was sunny and warm.

Traveling back into the Kenai Peninsula...it was overcast and had been raining, but the weather was on the clear and we had some clouds and a lot sunshine. There could be rain that could be described as the sky was dripping. The weather was warm and lovely on the Peninsula.

We were back in Seward over the weekend as well. It was also warm and sunny there. The locals were calling the 75+ degree weather a heat wave and were wearing shorts and spaghetti strap tops.

I didn't think to do this until we hit Anchorage on Friday (debarkation day):
[IMG]https://image.ibb.co/f2imgd/IMG_2207.jpg[/IMG]

Saturday Kenai Peninsula (this was taken in the evening...the high was higher earlier in the day):
[IMG]https://image.ibb.co/dESZZy/IMG_2210.jpg[/IMG]

Sunday Kenai Peninsula:
[IMG]https://image.ibb.co/hccCMd/IMG_2211.jpg[/IMG]

Sunday Seward...again in the evening...it was much warmer earlier in the day (I don't know why the actual high of the 24 hour day goes away if you pass by it):
[IMG]https://image.ibb.co/c6nCMd/IMG_2212.jpg[/IMG]

Monday Anchorage:
[IMG]https://image.ibb.co/geWHnJ/IMG_2214.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Anita Latte']I'm back. Just wanted to check in here and say that I'm available for continued Alaska wardrobe discussion!

I think we were blessed with really good weather overall. Vancouver was dry and warm.

Ketchikan had rain, no surprise, but it wasn't especially cold because the wind wasn't high. The rain was more of a light rain, not a southern gully washer...and it would come and go. Temps were in the 60s.

Icy Strait Point was dry. The sun was shining for a bit...but it was cloudy. It was cool on the water (we went whale watching)...but it also wasn't blustery cold. Definitely wanted gloves and hats though. Same moderate 60s temp.

Juneau was rainy off and on and overcast, with some patches of sunshine. Same temps.

Skagway was sun shine and beautiful. Probably the warmest weather...until we hit a spot at the lake that acted like a wind tunnel. The wind chill is severe...but getting away from it and into the sun shine was an immediate relief. Temps probably pushed toward 70.

Hubbard was sun shine and no wind. It was freezing cold on deck in the morning at 6:30 am...the wind was blowing. DS went back to the cabin to put on his long underwear pants and was much happier. I wore a cami, a long sleeved smart wool shirt, a furry fleece vest, my fleece pullover, and my raincoat. I also had on a hat, and I pulled my fleece hoodie on AND my raincoat hoodie on. I wore wind stop gloves. I wore my smart wool socks and my hiking boots, which really helped my feet and my core stay warm. I was wearing lined leggings and probably could have been more comfortable with a pair of jeans over those...or something else. As soon as the sun came out though...I was fine.

Seward was rainy and overcast and chilly on debarkation day.

Traveling to Anchorage that day, Anchorage was sunny and warm.

Traveling back into the Kenai Peninsula...it was overcast and had been raining, but the weather was on the clear and we had some clouds and a lot sunshine. There could be rain that could be described as the sky was dripping. The weather was warm and lovely on the Peninsula.

We were back in Seward over the weekend as well. It was also warm and sunny there. The locals were calling the 75+ degree weather a heat wave and were wearing shorts and spaghetti strap tops.

I didn't think to do this until we hit Anchorage on Friday (debarkation day):
[IMG]https://image.ibb.co/f2imgd/IMG_2207.jpg[/IMG]

Saturday Kenai Peninsula (this was taken in the evening...the high was higher earlier in the day):
[IMG]https://image.ibb.co/dESZZy/IMG_2210.jpg[/IMG]

Sunday Kenai Peninsula:
[IMG]https://image.ibb.co/hccCMd/IMG_2211.jpg[/IMG]

Sunday Seward...again in the evening...it was much warmer earlier in the day (I don't know why the actual high of the 24 hour day goes away if you pass by it):
[IMG]https://image.ibb.co/c6nCMd/IMG_2212.jpg[/IMG]

Monday Anchorage:
[IMG]https://image.ibb.co/geWHnJ/IMG_2214.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]I was just thinking about you today!

So it sounds like you had very good weather and packed well.

Did you accomplish to do and see everything you were hoping too? How was the ship? And any and all other details please!!! Haha. We are about 13 days to go now so the excitement is really kicking in!

Sent from my SM-G950U using [URL=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452]Forums mobile app[/URL]

It was fun!! Rather exhausting in a way, but very, very fun.

I've been working on a Trip Report. I started well before we left...talking all about my process in planning our vacation. And now I'm writing the actual review portion of the report. Nessie, if you are interested:

[url]https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2641355[/url]

[quote name='Anita Latte']It was fun!! Rather exhausting in a way, but very, very fun.

I've been working on a Trip Report. I started well before we left...talking all about my process in planning our vacation. And now I'm writing the actual review portion of the report. Nessie, if you are interested:

[url]https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2641355[/url][/QUOTE]Thanks for the link! Looks like I have a bit of reading to catch up on haha

[quote name='Nessie07']Thanks for the link! Looks like I have a bit of reading to catch up on haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using [URL="http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452"]Forums mobile app[/URL][/quote]

Please...only if you find it interesting! I do write a lot! LOL

[quote name='Anita Latte']Please...only if you find it interesting! I do write a lot! LOL[/QUOTE]Oh I live for this stuff!!

Ok I'm back from my cruise today! Had a wonderful time and we ended up having weather in the 70's!!! Did not end up wearing any of my warmer clothing other than some Jeans and light zip up hoodie while on deck at night.

So what everyone says about layers and variety is true. You just never know what you will get. We actually ended up with a little tan because we got to spend so much time at the pool!

Just over a week until we leave and I cannot figure out which dress I want to bring:confused:

I have too many choices, for evenings I'm bringing a merlot Eileen Fisher jersey dress and either a black tank (misook) or black long sleeve silk jersey (eileen fisher)

I have warmth layers (scarves, cardigans) on my packing list, so I'm not too worried about it being too cold. Or too hot to wear the long sleeve. But I just can't decide.

Any justifications for one over the other? My husband has a slight preference for the tank dress but otherwise liked all the dresses I made him watch me try on last night ;p

Doing more packing today - making sure the medical bag is stocked, pulling out my toiletries, grabbing the warmth layers and other items that aren't in use in my wardrobe for the next week....

I love the Merlot dress. Either of the black ones. The long sleeved one would eliminate the need for a sweater or shawl

Sent from my iPad using [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452]Forums[/url]

Good morning:), I agree......the longer sleeves would be my preference. And I love the Merlot color:D

Also, wishing you a great cruise and I really want your thoughts about Seabourn when you return (please:))
I have sailed with Silversea twice and I know they are supposed to be on the same level. I am looking at them
for a cruise and value your opinion.

Thanks so much:)

[quote name='awhfy']I love the Merlot dress. Either of the black ones. [/quote]
Yeah, this right there is my problem :hearteyes:Color theme of the trip is black, white & merlot/maroon.

The tank would be a little easier to mix & match accessories on (anything I bring will be worn more than once) but I'm having such a hard time deciding, I worry I'll fall into the "just pack both" trap. Argh! Thanks for the input!

Lois - we are so looking forward to trying Seabourn!!! I'll definitely report back!!! This was originally supposed to be Oceania (another line we want to try - my in-laws are currently on their 2nd Oceania cruise and having a blast, with a 3rd booked later in the fall) But we found this Seabourn itinerary - same length as Oceania and just a tiny but more $, so we opted for that. Still want to try Oceania. And Silversea. So many choices, so little time (and budget, and vacation days :'))

A tough decision between the 2 black dresses. The tank is nice because you could wear it as is in the evening on the ship or add a top over to change the look.

The Merlot is really pretty-all great choices. Wishing you a very enjoyable cruise-Alaska is amazing!

[quote name='Sailor_Sally']All the dresses are nice. I would probably go with the tank dress .It looks a little dressier .[/quote]
Thanks!

To clarify, I actually have a totally different dress I'm wearing for formal night and a dinner at TK grill. Not that it's very formal on Seabourn, but I have a full maxi dress with bodice embroidery to wear then....

All the other nights are casual (smart casual? Can't remember their wording off the top of my head)

Have finished finding my warmth layers throughout my house, and my waterproof layers, all set out and ready to pack....

[quote name='Hoyaheel']Just over a week until we leave and I cannot figure out which dress I want to bring:confused:

I have too many choices, for evenings I'm bringing a merlot Eileen Fisher jersey dress and either a black tank (misook) or black long sleeve silk jersey (eileen fisher)

I have warmth layers (scarves, cardigans) on my packing list, so I'm not too worried about it being too cold. Or too hot to wear the long sleeve. But I just can't decide.

Any justifications for one over the other? [B]My husband has a slight preference for the tank dress[/B] but otherwise liked all the dresses I made him watch me try on last night ;p

Doing more packing today - making sure the medical bag is stocked, pulling out my toiletries, grabbing the warmth layers and other items that aren't in use in my wardrobe for the next week....[/quote]

For the bolded reason alone I would pack the black tank:hearteyes: I think it will be more versatile with dressing up or down and sweater/no sweater too.

I also really liked the merlot, but didn't really care for the long sleeved black (for my tastes). If you have room, I'd pack the merlot too.

As I noted originally, the merlot is coming. My choice is which of the black to also bring - tank or long sleeves ;-)

I'd bring the tank dress. First, I'm partial to picking dresses my DH particularly likes...so I concur with picking it for that reason. But also...it seems more versatile to me. You could layer it up or down as needed.

I'm also partial to sleeveless...I think they are more comfortable, even with a sweater or other long-sleeved layer on top. Also...I find that sleeveless in general stays fresher longer than any dress with sleeves!;p And like you...I wear my clothes more than once so that's always a plus.

I, too, am really hoping you do a report on your cruise! I've very interested in that cruise line and so many of the ports that aren't frequented by the bigger ships.

[quote name='Hoyaheel']As I noted originally, the merlot is coming. My choice is which of the black to also bring - tank or long sleeves ;-)[/quote]

Sorry I missed that - it's what I get for multi-tasking:o

Glad you get to take two - I often find dresses more comfortable than pants. Anita expressed my thoughts better than I did;)

Anita - how many prs pants did your husband take?? Trying to figure out - it's a little more complicated than me because while I have a couple outfits I'll mix/match for the evening, right now all the pants I have picked out for husband are day & night. I have 4pr, but am thinking (even with free laundry on the ship) maybe 5pr is better? Thoughts? Entire trip is 16 days.....

And, have decided (for now....) on the black tank, the merlot knit, and the embroidered maxi dress for my evenings. Thanks!!!

Our trip was 14 days total...and we didn't do laundry. My DH took 5 pairs total. Two pairs were casual cargos. Three pairs were technical fabric, quick dry / water resistant type. DS brought 5 pairs too. Same deal, 3 technical and 2 casual.

When we got to the end of our trip, DS had NOT worn one of the casual pants, which made him so happy, he could travel home in unworn pants...he was mighty sick of those 4 pairs, especially since the 3 technical fabric ones were the same pant in 3 different colors.

DH also had a pair that he had worn once because he had also brought shorts for a couple days.

If you have access to laundry...and you don't mind using it...then I think 4 would probably be okay with laundry...but 5 might be a happier number if you have more active activities planned (hiking, etc.).

Thanks! I think I'll pick out 5 (same here re: technical fabric- but they're still fine for dinner and look nice with his sports coat ;-) and let him decide how many he wants to bring....

He will bring 1 pr shorts/swim trunks, but our trip is later than yours - we're not expecting too much "shorts" weather....

We ended up not wearing a lot of the things that we took with us because I of course overpacked. We also wore several things more than once. We lucked out with the weather and never wore our warm clothes, coats and fleece. We ended up going to the pool everyday and came home with a tan. Never know what you need in Alaska haha.

We also booked Alaska for next year on the Celebrity Solstice. I'm looking forward to sailing celebrity again after several years.

[quote name='Nessie07']We ended up not wearing a lot of the things that we took with us because I of course overpacked. [/quote]
Did you travel with a man and if so, how many prs pants did you pack? And use?

I'm still waffling ;p

But also, we got a new cruise invoice last night - husband emails to me, says "nothing new, no clue why we got this". I look at it and say - our cabin changed! We actually got an upgrade ;-) [same size cabin but 2 decks higher, still midshop, but full glass railing instead of half metal, so that's nice ;-)]

[quote name='Hoyaheel']Did you travel with a man and if so, how many prs pants did you pack? And use?

I'm still waffling ;p

But also, we got a new cruise invoice last night - husband emails to me, says "nothing new, no clue why we got this". I look at it and say - our cabin changed! We actually got an upgrade ;-) [same size cabin but 2 decks higher, still midshop, but full glass railing instead of half metal, so that's nice ;-)][/QUOTE]Yes with my husband. I think he took 2 pairs or Jeans, one pair of dress pants, and 2 or 3 pairs of shorts. We only had a week but all was ok to wear multiple times (with the exception of our hiking clothes because it was hot and had bug spray on them).

We also only got off the ship once during the week so we were not really out and about where we may get dirty.

[quote name='Hoyaheel']Did you travel with a man and if so, how many prs pants did you pack? And use?

I'm still waffling ;p

But also, we got a new cruise invoice last night - husband emails to me, says "nothing new, no clue why we got this". I look at it and say - our cabin changed! We actually got an upgrade ;-) [same size cabin but 2 decks higher, still midshop, but full glass railing instead of half metal, so that's nice ;-)][/QUOTE]Oh and how exciting for the upgrade!!!! That's never happened to me!

I'm still waffling ;p

But also, we got a new cruise invoice last night - husband emails to me, says "nothing new, no clue why we got this". I look at it and say - our cabin changed! We actually got an upgrade ;-) [same size cabin but 2 decks higher, still midshop, but full glass railing instead of half metal, so that's nice ;-)][/quote]

Hey there :) I've been lurking on your thread but haven't posted yet, congrats on the upgrade :D Regarding men's pants, do you have access to laundry service on board? If so, my rule is 3 pairs, one pair wearing, one pair at the laundry, & one pair for dinner wear, that gets worn the next day on shore, rotating each pair as it come back from laundry. We've taken 4 pairs before, but one just gets unused as there's always a clean pair with this system. :) Depends on how light you want to pack.

Yep, we have free laundry (though now we're two decks away from it instead of 4 doors down....) But he doesn't really want to do laundry that often. 4 prs would be the minimum for this trip, I think.

I'm having my own problems figuring out which of my 384 prs black pants I want to bring. Right now, I think I have 8prs on my guest bed to figure this out ;-) I was really good on my last AK trip - I wore everything I brought. Although I only wore the goretex rain pants when everything else was in the laundry :-)

[quote name='Hoyaheel']Yep, we have free laundry (though now we're two decks away from it instead of 4 doors down....) But he doesn't really want to do laundry that often. 4 prs would be the minimum for this trip, I think.

I'm having my own problems figuring out which of my 384 prs black pants I want to bring. Right now, I think I have 8prs on my guest bed to figure this out ;-) I was really good on my last AK trip - I wore everything I brought. Although I only wore the goretex rain pants when everything else was in the laundry :-)[/quote]

LOL…..384 pairs? …...I have 275;)

And congrats on that upgrade:D

Yes...Congrats on the upgrade! Sounds like your balcony viewing will be much nicer!

Bring what makes you happy to bring. They say that stress is caused by a conflict between what you want to do and what you think you SHOULD do. What you should do is bring what you want to bring. End of story. It's your vacation...there is a natural amount of stress inherent in travel...but I think that you can trust your instincts to bring what will contribute to the enjoyment of your vacation without being so much that it detracts because you have to deal with too much. This is just my impression of you from reading your posts here. Trust your instincts.

I think editing goes easier when you are actually packing. So set out what you WANT to start...you know you may be changing your mind when you start folding and packing and putting things into your luggage.

Congrats on the upgrade!

[quote name='Anita Latte']Yes...Congrats on the upgrade! Sounds like your balcony viewing will be much nicer!

[B]Bring what makes you happy to bring. [/B]They say that stress is caused by a conflict between what you want to do and what you think you SHOULD do. What you should do is bring what you want to bring. End of story. It's your vacation...there is a natural amount of stress inherent in travel...but I think that you can trust your instincts to bring what will contribute to the enjoyment of your vacation without being so much that it detracts because you have to deal with too much. This is just my impression of you from reading your posts here. Trust your instincts.

I think editing goes easier when you are actually packing. So set out what you WANT to start...you know you may be changing your mind when you start folding and packing and putting things into your luggage.[/quote]

GREAT advice! I don't worry about what I do/don't pack since I follow this too.

Did some back to school/pre-cruise shopping yesterday. I need to look online for our son - he is tall and [I]very[/I] thin so we can't find pants that fit. The closest we could find were 29 x 30, but still almost falling off the hips and short in the leg. Hoping I can find some 28 x32 online. Does anyone else have this issue and brands/stores that work well?

Daughter is starting to lose some weight and getting more excited about clothes. Found a nice pair of ankle length jeans, but she still wants to find a few more tops.

I was able to get a swim bra/suit combo for 1/2 off. Still much more than I've ever spent, but at least now I know the size to find. I'm a 34GG UK/34 J US so it's no wonder I was so frustrated at standard stores.

I had a friend in college who was 6'7" and the only place he could find pants/jeans was Nordstrom (of course, he grew up in Seattle so that probably was a factor ;-) Back then, at least, Levis could reliably be found in extended inseams....

I'm ok on some of my black pants - they ones that are different styles or fabrics. Like, chicos wide leg travelers for dinner, a skinny stretch twill for daytime, lightweight stretch crepe for travel, water resistant for hiking/touring. My biggest problem is I have 4 or 5 pairs that are "travel" pants - wicking, similar shapes (though a couple are ankle length and a couple full length) I really REALLY don't want to pack more than I want/need. But I have some sort of mental block on picking the actual pants to bring. I will NOT bring them all because I don't need them all.

That's my pep talk for the day :D

This is the first upgrade we've ever had on our cabin - super excited!!!

Sierra Trading had mosquito repellent men’s cargo pants. Brand is Craighopper. They come waist sizes 26-50. Length S-XL.

Sent from my iPad using [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452]Forums[/url]

[quote name='awhfy']. Length S-XL. [/quote]

I have never seen inseam (length) in S-XL. What in the world does that mean??

I see [URL="https://www.sierratradingpost.com/craghoppers-nosilife-insect-shield-mercier-trousers-upf-50-plus--for-men~p~445jg/?filterString=s~craghoppers-men%2F"]these Craghoppers[/URL] but they only have length = R

[URL="https://www.sierratradingpost.com/craghoppers-nosilife-insect-shield-cargo-trousers-upf-40-plus--for-men~p~366jh/?filterString=s~craghoppers-men%2F"]These[/URL] have length L, R, S at least, but waist doesn't start until 38.....

The [URL="https://www.sierratradingpost.com/craghoppers-nosilife-insect-shield-convertible-trousers-upf-50-plus--for-men~p~444pg/?filterString=s~craghoppers-men%2F"]convertible pants[/URL] also have L, R, S but waist doesn't start until 30.

On Sierra Trading Post, you can search for men's pants by waist & inseam though ;-)

For instance, this slim [URL="https://www.sierratradingpost.com/levis-511-slim-chino-pants-for-men~p~509yp/?filterString=mens-pants-and-shorts~d~143%2Fsizefamily~inseam!32%2Fsizefamily~waist!28%2F"]Levi's chino[/URL] is available in 28X32