Dramamine

tran93le

There are three Dramamine options: original (Dimenhydrinate), Less-Drowsy (Meclizine HCI), and Non-Drowsy (Ginger).

Question about the drowsy-ness, does it make you sleep or just tired? I already take a melatonin pill to help me sleep

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Question about the drowsy-ness, does it make you sleep or just tired? I already take a melatonin pill to help me sleep

In my experience individual experiences vary.

Ginger doesn't seem to have any serious side effects, although there is some evidence that it may affect blood sugar levels.

Meclizine makes me extremely drowsy, to the point of sleep. Many others report little to no drowsiness.

I would suggest a discussion with a physician that has knowledge of ones medical situation and medications.

There are three Dramamine options: original (Dimenhydrinate), Less-Drowsy (Meclizine HCI), and Non-Drowsy (Ginger).

"Dramamine" is a brand. Not a medication. Same with "Bonine".

Dimenhydrinate and meclizine are medications. Ginger is not a medication.

When used to treat or prevent nausea, ginger is a medication. LIke any ingested substance, its effects on the body and potential interactions with other ingested substances should be considered before use.

In my experience individual experiences vary.

Ginger doesn't seem to have any serious side effects, although there is some evidence that it may affect blood sugar levels.

Meclizine makes me extremely drowsy, to the point of sleep. Many others report little to no drowsiness.

I would suggest a discussion with a physician that has knowledge of ones medical situation and medications.

When would you recommend taking meclizine? I take a melatonin pill as soon as I get into my bedroom then about an hour later I’m sleeping. I personally now I’m going to be “out” late on the cruise...

When would you recommend taking meclizine? I take a melatonin pill as soon as I get into my bedroom then about an hour later I’m sleeping. I personally now I’m going to be “out” late on the cruise...

For the most part meclizine is much less "drowsy" inducing than dimenhydrinate. Not everyone gets sleepy from it.

I'd suggest a "trial run". Take some at home (before your trip) to see what effect it has (if any) in that direction.

As an aside - do you know you get sea sickness? There may be no reason for you to take any sea sick meds at all.

If you find that Meclizine makes you drowsy, it's often recommend that you take it at bedtime. While I don't have that problem with it, I still take it every night at bedtime with my other daily medications.

For the most part meclizine is much less "drowsy" inducing than dimenhydrinate. Not everyone gets sleepy from it.

I'd suggest a "trial run". Take some at home (before your trip) to see what effect it has (if any) in that direction.

As an aside - do you know you get sea sickness? There may be no reason for you to take any sea sick meds at all.

I’ve been on regular boats like a fishing boat & airplanes, never have I gotten motion sickness. But this will be my first cruise, so I wouldn’t know how a big ship will affect me

I’ve been on regular boats like a fishing boat & airplanes, never have I gotten motion sickness. But this will be my first cruise, so I wouldn’t know how a big ship will affect me

Typically, a cruise ship, being much larger and stable, is a much smoother ride than a fishing boat.

If you find that Meclizine makes you drowsy, it's often recommend that you take it at bedtime. While I don't have that problem with it, I still take it every night at bedtime with my other daily medications.

As I said previously, meclazine does not make me drowsy, but I do take it before bed each night if it is a little rocky. :)

If you didn't feel woozy on a fishing boat, chances are good that you feel nothing on a cruise ship. They have stabilizers that they use if the sea is rough and they really help. :)