Trip Report: ALASKA. Northbound Hubbard Glacier. Millennium. June 22, 2018.

Anita Latte

On 11/4/2018 at 10:55 PM, BobbySu said:

Even though it is now November I just wanted to say thank you for this book of a report.  It has been very helpful to me as I contemplate what we should do on our cruise and how to prepare.  

And PS, I know it says I only have one post, but somewhere in a different lifetime I had quite a few more.  We just haven't cruised in years and so I had to re register.  Oh well.  

I'm so happy that my blog book was helpful! I appreciate the feedback. Good luck with your planning. I hope you have a great trip!

Anita, I also want to let you know just how appreciative I was of your detailed trip report. I booked us on the Millennium for next August, and then immediately wondered if I had done the right thing for our very first cruise and very first and possibly only trip to Alaska (given all of the traditional advice to see Glacier Bay; I think we have plenty of other glacier visits planned that missing it won''t be a big deal). Your posts came up in detail right when I needed them to to assuage any fears I had, and really helped me get excited for our trip next year! I also got a lot of ideas, especially for Ketchikan and Juneau, so thank you so much! 

Edited by AuroraRose

On 11/7/2018 at 8:05 PM, AuroraRose said:

Anita, I also want to let you know just how appreciative I was of your detailed trip report. I booked us on the Millennium for next August, and then immediately wondered if I had done the right thing for our very first cruise and very first and possibly only trip to Alaska (given all of the traditional advice to see Glacier Bay; I think we have plenty of other glacier visits planned that missing it won''t be a big deal). Your posts came up in detail right when I needed them to to assuage any fears I had, and really helped me get excited for our trip next year! I also got a lot of ideas, especially for Ketchikan and Juneau, so thank you so much! 

You are so very welcome! A report like mine isn't for everyone...but I had hopes that there would be those that would appreciate it. So again, I sincerely appreciate the feedback. I think Millennium will have gone through dry dock for your cruise? You should have a lovely time. If it didn't come through in my report...as I write this response...my main word of advice would be to enjoy yourself. That is ridiculously simple, but I mean to not put too much pressure on yourself to do too much. Whatever you do...live in that moment and enjoy it. Alaska is beautiful. I think to myself that I could go on a cruise and do nothing in particular in the ports and thoroughly enjoy the experience, so whatever you decide to do will be amazing. I hope you have a great vacation.

• Like 1

Anita, yes, the Millennium will be "revolutionized" at that point. I'm excited to see the changes, but more than anything just excited for our first cruise and in general. We were able to snag a sweet 16 balcony (6030), so I am especially interested to see if anything changes with those post dry dock. And that is great advice about enjoying yourself and not putting too much pressure on yourself. I completely agree; I'm a planner until we get to the vacation, and then usually have a go with the flow attitude and try to leave plenty of time for unexpected surprises or things we want to check out that we didn't know about before. As an aside, on our honeymoon in Ireland, our favorite tour we did was a tour recommended by a local we met in a pub the night before we did it! I had done so much research prior to that and hadn't seen anything about that tour, but it was amazing. 

We live in an area similar to Alaska sans glaciers (there were glaciers here many millennia ago which carved out the mountains and lakes), so many of the recommended must do activities don't have a huge appeal for us. We definitely want to see glaciers since we don't have that here, so we booked a helicopter landing tour in Juneau and plan to see Mendenhall in the afternoon (your review helped convince me to do that!), and hope we see Hubbard, but we are meeting friends in Seward for a DIY land portion post cruise and have plans to kayak the glaciers in Kenai Fjords and hike the Exit Glacier, so I think we will have multiple chances to see them on our trip. 

• 3 months later...
22 hours ago, scrapcreator said:

Thank you for a fabulously detailed trip report! We are onboard the Millennium this June with the same itinerary and I can’t wait.

Have a fabulous trip! Seeing the new Millennium will be a treat! Alaska is amazing...I've been trying to figure out how and when we can go back!

On 2/23/2019 at 10:14 AM, stefcourt1 said:

Did you enjoy the Millennium.

We did enjoy the Millennium. I enjoy the M-class ships. I haven't sailed on the S-class though so I have no comparison. Millennium is very easy to navigate...very easy to figure out...so it's very easy to get into vacation mode. My family has several places on board that we like to hang out...the new changes to Millennium look to have improved the one place that could be annoying, the Oceanview Cafe. The new traffic pattern created from the revolution looks wonderful.

The one major negative IMO sight unseen is the change that I've seen to the Sunset Bar. I'm extremely disappointed the see the lack of shade and coverage back there post revolution. Maybe the reality is better than the photos, but the trip report I've been following dubbed it the Bar of the Sun now. Also...the lack of public forward open deck space is disappointing, since they changed Deck 12 to the Retreat. IDK if, for the Alaska sailings, they will open up the retreat to all passengers for Hubbard Glacier or if that will be a special place, just for suite guests.

The positives of sailing Celebrity and Millennium far out weigh any concerns I would have. I've seen some of the live music acts currently on board. The guitarist is really good. The string duo is also wonderful. The vibe on board is relaxed with a touch of class and that suits my vacation style very well. Personally, for a future sailing, if DS was not with us, I would skip the evening theater entertainment, I would prioritize the naturalist talks, I would relax with the low key live music more, I would spend more time watching the scenery go by, I would eat in Sushi on 5 on Sea Days, and I might eat dinner in the Oceanview...by a window watching the scenery go by or bundled up and outside in the Oceanview rather than in the depths of the MDR.

I would repeat the Alaska sailing on Millennium with no reservations. The overall experience was wonderful.

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2019 at 9:07 AM, Anita Latte said:

Have a fabulous trip! Seeing the new Millennium will be a treat! Alaska is amazing...I've been trying to figure out how and when we can go back!

We did enjoy the Millennium. I enjoy the M-class ships. I haven't sailed on the S-class though so I have no comparison. Millennium is very easy to navigate...very easy to figure out...so it's very easy to get into vacation mode. My family has several places on board that we like to hang out...the new changes to Millennium look to have improved the one place that could be annoying, the Oceanview Cafe. The new traffic pattern created from the revolution looks wonderful.

The one major negative IMO sight unseen is the change that I've seen to the Sunset Bar. I'm extremely disappointed the see the lack of shade and coverage back there post revolution. Maybe the reality is better than the photos, but the trip report I've been following dubbed it the Bar of the Sun now. Also...the lack of public forward open deck space is disappointing, since they changed Deck 12 to the Retreat. IDK if, for the Alaska sailings, they will open up the retreat to all passengers for Hubbard Glacier or if that will be a special place, just for suite guests.

The positives of sailing Celebrity and Millennium far out weigh any concerns I would have. I've seen some of the live music acts currently on board. The guitarist is really good. The string duo is also wonderful. The vibe on board is relaxed with a touch of class and that suits my vacation style very well. Personally, for a future sailing, if DS was not with us, I would skip the evening theater entertainment, I would prioritize the naturalist talks, I would relax with the low key live music more, I would spend more time watching the scenery go by, I would eat in Sushi on 5 on Sea Days, and I might eat dinner in the Oceanview...by a window watching the scenery go by or bundled up and outside in the Oceanview rather than in the depths of the MDR.

I would repeat the Alaska sailing on Millennium with no reservations. The overall experience was wonderful.

Anita,

We are now just around 80 days out from our Alaska Adventure and about ready to take the leap!! I can't thank you enough for helping us plan our trip along with Trip Advisor !!

Since we last spoke we have changed plans multiple times, but we think we finally have it together with mostly everything booked!  We bought Tom a backup battery for his C-Pap so some of the nights we don't need electric. Staying right in Denali at Riley campground for 2 nights. We are Staying at Stoney Creek RV and we have a shuttle picking us up for the Kenai Fjords boat trip. We are also staying at Great Alaskian Holidays the night before our train back into Seward the day of our cruise.

Here is our final revision!😃

Tuesday - June 4 – Arrive in Anchorage from Seattle at 2:50 pm. Shuttle from airport and pick up RV. Stay at Creekwood  Inn 2150 Gambell St, Anchorage  907-258-6006. If we have time shopping.

Wednesday – June 5 Stop At Walmart for supplies for the first part of our trip.  Things we may want to see are: Alyeska Tram (see mile post for lunch special) Creek mine National Historic site. Wildlife Conservation Center and Portage lake Glacier tours and Visitor Center. Spend the night at Sea View RV Park 907-782-3300. $25.00 per night. We are confirmed at Seaview for the 5th and 6th.

Thursday  -June 6 – Drive 11/2 hr. to arrive at Whittier Tunnel for the 10:30 a.m. opening (it’s open for 15 min. on the half hour going in, and opens 5:30am until 10:30pm.--15 min. on the hour coming back out). Whittier is 11/2 Hours drive from Hope. Go through tunnel in am and if early could eat at the Wild Catch Café for breakfast if haven’t eaten already. Then to dock cruise starts at 12:30pm and ends at 5:30 pm-- 26 Glacier cruise 5 hours and $159 pp * Dress warmly for cruise!  Spend the night at Seaview RV Park.    907-276-8023.  We have decided on the Glacier Quest  3.75 hour cruise from 1:00 pm – 4:45 pm. Website is www.phillipscruises.com   * We are confirmed at Seaview for the 5th and 6th. Check out the bore Tide on the way back to campsite and at campsite.    

Friday 7th - Seward Highway to Seward. Check our Beluga Point to see Beluga Whales on route  Stoney Creek RV Park 877-437-6366 (Stoney Creek has shuttle to town). Sea life Center. Fishing Exit Glacier.

Saturday June 8 - – Kenai Fjords national park cruise 6 or 7.5 cruise. Overnight in campground.

Phone 888-225-2752 or ***Tour book # 907-274-7300

Sunday June 9th Drive 5  hours to Talkeenta and stay at Talkeenta Camper Park . 22763 S Talkeenta Spur 907-733-2693 $40-$50. Could stop at Hatcher Pass/Independence mine or to Palmer to see the Must Ox farm, or Matanuska Glacier on Glenn Hwy drive right up to the gate owner and pay fee ($30). Possibly- https://glacierviewatvtours.com. May want to do Flightseeing K2 Aviation. Weather Permitting. 6:30 pm  Mahay Jet boat adventure  page 79 907-733-2223 the Trip is called the Wilderness excursion

Monday June 10th – Drive 2.5 hours from Talkeenta to Riley Campground.

See Denali Visitor Center displays and film, maybe Ranger sled dog demonstration (at 9, 4). Cabin night Dinner Theater Denali 7:30 pm Page 38 in tour saver book $75 per couple

Generators can be used from 8am-10am and 4pm-8pm

Tuesday June 11th - Shuttle to Eielson (8 hours) or Wonder lake (11 hours) Visitor center is at the 8 hour point. Free Ranger sled dog demo.     Bring food and Beverages since none available for sale inside park. Bring Binoculars!!!!! Spend night at Riley Campground

Wednesday June 12th morning ATV in Denali. Denali Wilderness Adventure ATV for 21/2 hours. 1 driver and   passenger $175 per couple or 1 driver 3 passengers $315 for 4. Times are 8am, 1pm 3pm, 5pm, and 7pm Spend the night at Denali RV park and Motel Mile 245.1 Denali National Park

907-683-1500

Thursday June 13th – Laundry if needed. Drive from Denali back to Anchorage. Spend the night at Great Alaskian Holidays.

Friday June 14 – Taxi to Costal Classic Morning train Alaska Railroad at 6:45 am arriving in Seward at 11:05 Am   Train confirmation   Taxi Alaska Yellow Cab Pre book. (See Google map page for route) 907-222-2222.   Board the ship for Lunch.

Friday, June 14

Anchorage (Seward), AK

8:00pm 

Saturday, June 15

Hubbard Glacier, AK (Cruising)

Sunday, June 16

Juneau, AK

9:00am

9:00pm

·          Juneau Galore Tours (Page 95)

Monday, June 17

Skagway, AK

7:00am

8:30pm

·          Train and bike booked with ship

Tuesday, June 18

Icy Strait Point, AK

6:30am

3:00pm

·          Zip line booked with ship

·       

Wednesday, June 19

Ketchikan, AK

9:00am

6:00pm

·          Taquan Air 3:pm flight

Thursday, June 20

Inside Passage, AK (Cruising)

Friday, June 21

Vancouver, BC, Canada

7:00am

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi @Anita Latte

Have you considered publishing a Kindle book of your great Alaskan adventure, including more of your excellent photography, and selling it for $9.99 or $4.99? 

I would buy it just to re-read the whole thing uninterrupted and to see more of your pics in context. 

You have a very soothing (not exactly the word I'm looking for...), easy way of writing that makes me want to read more.

It could help fund your next adventure that we could then read all about! 

Edited by SempreMare
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2019 at 6:07 AM, Anita Latte said:

IDK if, for the Alaska sailings, they will open up the retreat to all passengers for Hubbard Glacier or if that will be a special place, just for suite guests.

On our recent cruise in Antarctica they published, in the daily journal, just such a plan. They planned to be doing scenic cruising of the Gerlache Strait and so forth at the time when they would normally have the evening Elite gathering in the Sky Lounge, so the gathering would be canceled, and the Elite guests would have free drinks added to their accounts, so that all passengers could view the scenery from that lounge. So there's a precedent.

18 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Hi @Anita Latte

Have you considered publishing a Kindle book of your great Alaskan adventure, including more of your excellent photography, and selling it for $9.99 or $4.99? 

I would buy it just to re-read the whole thing uninterrupted and to see more of your pics in context. 

You have a very soothing (not exactly the word I'm looking for...), easy way of writing that makes me want to read more.

It could help fund your next adventure that we could then read all about! 

Wow SempreMare, thank you! I haven't considered doing such a book partly because with the Revolution of the Millennium, I wondered if people would still find it relevant? I do love to write though, and with DS going off to college in the fall...I have been wondering what to do with my new found freedom. I was wanting to use my thread here as a basis for making my own photo book, and that was something I was "saving" to do after we drop DS off...so perhaps I could make that project a Kindle book project? I really appreciate the feedback on my narrative voice! We are moving to Florida at the end of the month...I have never lived there before...and again, with the empty nest, DH and I are set on pretending that we are on vacation and intend to explore Florida...and I have thought to start writing about that. You made my day.

18 hours ago, cardiffman said:

On our recent cruise in Antarctica they published, in the daily journal, just such a plan. They planned to be doing scenic cruising of the Gerlache Strait and so forth at the time when they would normally have the evening Elite gathering in the Sky Lounge, so the gathering would be canceled, and the Elite guests would have free drinks added to their accounts, so that all passengers could view the scenery from that lounge. So there's a precedent.

I'm very happy to read this...I don't want to come to conclusions regarding the Millennium Revolution, but the fact of the change to the deck I viewed the glacier from during our sailing does beg the question as to whether or not I would get to do that again in the future without being in a suite. I'm so eager for this year's cruisers to post reviews and hopefully learn about what impact the refurb had on the Alaskan sailings.

Hey I thought of the word I was looking for above:  transportive

Your writing transports me to the moment you were in.

1 hour ago, Anita Latte said:

I haven't considered doing such a book partly because with the Revolution of the Millennium, I wondered if people would still find it relevant? 

OMG YES!  I'm cruising on Holland America's Westerdam this summer, a completely different line, and I read every word of you posts till my eyes went dry! 

Your early comment about your background made me think this would be a project building on your other skills, beyond writing and photography.  Your "journalistic photography" approach would play so well with this.

From a content standpoint you wouldn't need to change anything except (my request:) Add more pictures.

Lots of the pics came were not visible unless I clicked on them.  It would be great to just read it all in 1 flow as a Kindle book.

You could use the Book's subtitle to make it clear what problem the e-book could solve for the reader. 

You solved 2 problems for me

1) Helping me think through which excursions to pick and how to approach the choice to begin with.

2) Giving me a REAL FEEL for the day to day experience

ex:  after reading your story, I swear I will have redundant mosquito repellent in every day bag!   I really enjoyed that you talked about both the great things and the challenging moments.

2 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

We are moving to Florida at the end of the month...I have never lived there before...and again, with the empty nest, DH and I are set on pretending that we are on vacation and intend to explore Florida...and I have thought to start writing about that. You made my day.

You'll love the state tax-free living!   And so much wonderful coast line. 

I grew up there which spoiled me from ever wanting to go on a second Caribbean cruise.  My reaction to my first caribbean cruise was:  This just makes me want to go back to different parts of Florida coastline.

Random tip:  Start planning your hurricane "Go Bag". 

Include in that bag a bike helmet or (better) a climbing helmet with clips for your head light strap. 

Then, in case DH or you need to venture onto a rooftop or more than 3 steps up on a ladder (based on ER stats...) don the helmet.  Your delicate head will be much better protected from any unexpected topples or the wind blowing something onto it.  Reflective tape on the helmet will make it / you extra visible.

My buddy who lives a full 1 hour east of the New Port Richey area (west coast ) decided to ride out the Sept 2017 hurricane with a friend.  He said it was a truly terrifying experience and he would never do that again.

20 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

You'll love the state tax-free living!   And so much wonderful coast line. 

I grew up there which spoiled me from ever wanting to go on a second Caribbean cruise.  My reaction to my first caribbean cruise was:  This just makes me want to go back to different parts of Florida coastline.

Random tip:  Start planning your hurricane "Go Bag". 

Include in that bag a bike helmet or (better) a climbing helmet with clips for your head light strap. 

Then, in case DH or you need to venture onto a rooftop or more than 3 steps up on a ladder (based on ER stats...) don the helmet.  Your delicate head will be much better protected from any unexpected topples or the wind blowing something onto it.  Reflective tape on the helmet will make it / you extra visible.

My buddy who lives a full 1 hour east of the New Port Richey area (west coast ) decided to ride out the Sept 2017 hurricane with a friend.  He said it was a truly terrifying experience and he would never do that again.

I am looking forward to living in a state without tax again. I see you in Austin...I went to college in San Antonio and the majority of my adult years were spent living in Texas. DFW and Houston.

I love your recommendations regarding the hurricane...we lived in Houston (Cypress) when Ike hit. DS's family lived in an evacuation zone but we were in the NW so we didn't. We were there through it all. I did learn that I can sleep through a hurricane LOL!! We lived in a 2-story and everyone was upstairs...I couldn't sleep so I went downstairs to turn on the tv and see where Ike was...I saw that Ike had made landfall and was working up the bay and the power went out. I went upstairs and fell asleep after realizing that Ike was about to hit us. I can imagine that the hurricane preparedness in Florida would be even more important. 

Thank you again for the writing suggestions. DH and I have been talking about how I need a plan, like a written out and communicated plan for what I am going to do with my time after we come back from dropping off DS and DH heads off to work. He has said that I can be sad but I should have a plan so that I don't just mope around wondering what to do. I think formatting my report...and adding more photos!...may make a great first project for me. Especially since so much of the work has already been done. There's just too much going on with us moving and getting ready for sending DS off to college to work on it any sooner...so there's no way it would be done before you leave for yours.

Hey there @Anita Latte

=== Pics

Oops ! My apologies - I was in a noisy place and not writing clearly when I posted a reply above.  Need to clarify 1 thing.  I didn't mean that I was requesting to see additional pics before my Alaska cruise.

I was speaking picturing myself as a typical customer of your future, best-selling-in-its-segment Kindle book!  
In other words, knowing the "inside scoop" since I've read your entire posts, and see how your journalistic pics enrich your story - my thoughts related to your pics in a possible Kindle book would be "More Please!" 🙂

I totally agree with your thought that putting together a photo book would be a good next step.  If you don't do an E-book, you have created an awesome trip memory.  If you do an e-book, you have completed the next needed step! 

=== Geek part of doing a Kindle book

Once you have content and pictures, the remaining milestone is what I'd call "the geek part" to doing a Kindle book; how you'd "mark up" your content for publishing.

I've been curious what's involved in the geek part because of a relative who has devised an ingenious way to prepare for a professional accreditation exam. 

From my calcs (and I did calcs like this for a living in a previous job...) , she could make a big enough passive income (passive once she completes the initial big content development effort is done 🙂) from it to make it worth doing, even for a very niche offering.  And it would add to her professional CV.  

=== Hurricanes & Moving

Glad to see you are BTDT (been there done that) with hurricanes.

Moving & packing is SO hard for me.   Soo many decisions to make in a day of packing my brain just about explodes.  

Edited by SempreMare
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anita,

Thank you so much for taking the time to put together your wonderful blog/trip review! We decided at the end of March that we were going to do an Alaska Cruise that would be at the end of June this year (to take advantage of our DD having the week of the 4th of July off from work). She was the one really pushing for the trip. We got our flights and cruise booked, and then I found your review in early April. It took me this long to get to this (currently) last page. I have enjoyed your planning process, pictures, and narrative so much. It has all been so helpful with our much shorter planning and prep time. Thank you again!!

Sandy

8 hours ago, scsagh said:

Anita,

Thank you so much for taking the time to put together your wonderful blog/trip review! We decided at the end of March that we were going to do an Alaska Cruise that would be at the end of June this year (to take advantage of our DD having the week of the 4th of July off from work). She was the one really pushing for the trip. We got our flights and cruise booked, and then I found your review in early April. It took me this long to get to this (currently) last page. I have enjoyed your planning process, pictures, and narrative so much. It has all been so helpful with our much shorter planning and prep time. Thank you again!!

Sandy

Sandy, I hope you have a fabulous cruise! So glad my report was helpful! Alaska is beautiful in and of itself...all the plans and excursions are really icing on the cake...I don't think you can go wrong with any plans really...hoping you have conducive weather for your plans!

2 hours ago, Hazelwoodp said:

Alaska is a bucket list trip for us as well.  We are booked on a southbound trip from Fairbanks in August 2020!  I’m a planner so am very interested in your postings!

Will you be doing a land trip before the cruise? Having sailed the northbound sailing...I am interested in doing a southbound sailing or even a round trip, if the route would include Glacier Bay. I have fallen in love with Alaska...current life events (interstate move, DS graduating HS and going off to college overseas in the fall) make returning to Alaska this summer a no go...but I'm on the look out for when and how we can get back at the next opportunity.

We are doing a land trip before the cruise.  Very excited about the opportunities and have started today researching possible things to do.  I know I'm a year and 3 months out (but who's counting?) from the trip, but I like to be prepared.  Actually, I think the preplanning is almost as enjoyable as the trip itself!  So, your research is fabulous.  Do you have a document of your actual itinerary and DIY trips you took?  I'm thinking of flying in to Fairbanks a day or two before the trip begins just to be on the safe side and to see what Fairbanks has to offer.  (we almost missed our last cruise due to delays in flights!!  Can you say stressful???)

I don't think that you are starting to plan too early. I'm not planning now, but as I recall...I felt like my planning for our Alaska trip would happen in waves. You get excited to figure things out...you focus in on one aspect of your trip...and if you are a planner, you might get really in depth and really deep in reviews, maps, forums, everything and anything you can find about whatever sparked your interest and the rabbit hole you followed. You come to some sort of conclusion regarding all that and then you take a break for a bit.

Then you start the cycle all over again for a different part of the trip...or the same one to do something else after deciding that after learning all about that other thing...yeah...you really don't want to do that. 

I don't have a document of our itinerary or DIY trips at this time. It is something that I will be working on. My one and only DS is headed off to college in the fall...to London...and so all the focus is on that at this time. But afterwards...that's one of the projects I'm going to be working on, beginning in September.

• 5 months later...

Anita,

I read your review last summer and just loved it.  Partly because of your review, we booked this same itinerary on the Millie for July 2020.  So now, I'm going to re-read it!  I loved your recent advice about enjoying the scenery, naturalists talks, and chill live music.  Hoping to take that to heart and change up how we usually do a cruise in the Caribbean.  Thanks again for taking the time to take us all along with you.

Thank you so much for sharing! I really appreciate hearing that...I've been thinking about doing what a PP suggested and making this thread into an eBook. I do love to write...and since all this material is here...I could get through the learning curve of making an eBook with a mostly written manuscript. Also...this thread was written under the old forum which had stricter picture restrictions...I was thinking about adding a few more photos.

Anyway...I'm not a very experienced cruiser. Just Bahamas, Caribbean and this Alaska trip. However, one thing that I know for certain that sets Alaska apart is the fact that when the ships dock in Alaska, at least at the ports that this sailing visited...the ship is right there in the action. You are not stuck in some more industrial area of a port...nor are you miles away from the city that is of more interest (like many European itineraries). It's very tempting to try to maximize everything in Alaska and that may be what suits, BUT you can easily take a much more relaxed approach to Alaska and simply BE.

I'd love to get back to AK next year...but right now, the cruise I have booked is on NCL's Bliss for October 2021. I think we have the last sailing of the year booked. October 9? I know that many tours will not be in operation and things may be shut down...but I know that there is enough to see and do without having to do anything major. This ship is expensive but I really think it will be a good ship for AK and the itinerary goes to Glacier Bay, even with the RT. Going for easier flying this time...so thinking that the late season will be great to balance the expensive ship with budget excursions.

I hope you have a great sailing next July. I think I've read that the helicopter pad is open and available for the Hubbard day since they created the Retreat up on the top forward deck. I have to say that if that is the case...and you can get on that helicopter pad...definitely bundle up and get out there. Having been on the upper deck, I think being on a lower deck would be much more impactful for the size of Hubbard...and on the helicopter pad, you will not be battling the view through the railings. Also...you will be able to hear the ice crackle as the ship sails into the bay and may have a better shot at hearing the glacier itself. I don't recall hearing the glacier much up there where we were.