What to do in Miami Post Cruise (late flight)

LuCruise

We have a 4 day cruise end of the summer from Miami. We are flying home the same day our cruise ends but our flight doesn't leave until 8:30am (and they kick you off the ship quite early). Any suggestions of what to do? If we didn't have luggage then we could head to the beach or mall for the day but that doesn't work with luggage.

I'm assuming 8:30PM? :)

These are your best 5 options:

- Rent a car and leave luggage in the trunk as you go see sights

- Take a cruise excursion, they will store your luggage on the bus and drop you at the airport in the afternoon. You will be a bit early at the airport for a late flight but it's better than airport all day and easy to book since you do it through your cruise

- Uber or Cab to the Luggage Lounge in South Beach and leave your luggage with them for a small fee. You can then enjoy the day without your luggage on South Beach, ride the hop on hop off, or any numerous activities you may wish to do.

- Go to the airport, use one of the luggage storage options, then take the Airport Flyer bus to South Beach and back. Personally, I'd take the luggage lounge option.

- Get a day pass to a lounge at the airport and just hang out there for the day.

Yes...meant to write 8:30pm

I looked at the post cruise excursions but there are only 2 and neither interesting.

Renting a car is an option. Would we uber to airport for rental?

Or are there day passes at resorts? Not sure if common or any good ones in Miami.

Lounge pass at airport all day with 2 kids would be boring...but good to know as a last option.

I wouldn't do a lounge with 2 kids! Car seats with the rental would be interesting. I'm not sure the exact procedure for that. I live here so never rented a car at the port, but I'm almost certain the rental companies have shuttles you can jump on. Someone else will chime in and confirm I'm sure.

Just make sure to get car seats, obviously. And you may need to think about whether your luggage will all fit in the trunk, as you don't want to park the car and leave luggage or valuables in sight in Miami.

There are hotels with day passes in Miami, I would suggest a Google search to compare and see which options are best for you. Also renting a room at a Blue Lagoon hotel (Miami Airport area) would be a great idea. Rooms at the Hilton can be in the $100 range and they have a pool, food, hotel room obviously, etc. Plus they have a shuttle for when you are ready to go to the airport for your flight.

Depending on how active you want to be, I'm actually thinking something like the Hilton may be the best bet. Then the kids can relax at the hotel, you have food, bars, a huge pool area, it's on the lagoon, etc. Might be perfect, and almost certainly cheaper than airport lounge day passes.

Thank you...appreciate the suggestions. Sorry, I never specified their ages. Our son is 13 and our daughter will be 9. At home she still uses a booster but she's borderline if she still needs it as she's tall. So luckily , we don't need to worry about car seats.

We're actually staying at Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon...so we could inquire with them. (And for a future cruise, we have Miami Hilton booked post cruise if that's the one you mean). I think our kids would be good with a pool...guess that's better than trying to find a place at the ocean so we're near the airport for check in later in the day).

There is several Hiltons in Miami. The one at Blue Lagoon would be the airport one and I think would be a good place to hang out for the day. The Hilton will be a much nicer day property than Hampton Inn, I think, if you decide to do that.

Since it's easy for you to rent a car as your children are older, it's really not a bad idea if you are adventurous and want to get out and explore. If you decide to go that route and would like suggestions on what to see, the people here can give you all sorts of ideas.

www.resortpass.com - plug in your dates to see hotels/resorts offering day passes for use of their pool, spa, beach, etc.

Thank you for the link. The resorts that show up around our date (need to wait another 2 weeks or so for our date to open up) seem to be around south beach and downtown Miami. I'm assuming downtown is better in terms of being closer to the airport? Also, do these places store your luggage? It doesn't look like you get an actual room.

I'm also looking at BNBR's suggestion of just renting a room. From what I can tell in the pictures, Crowne Plaza Miami Airport and Hilton Miami Airport Blue Lagoon both have very nice pools and for 1 night stay, it is $140 CAD, which would be similar cost to some day passes. Or Holiday Inn Miami Airport looks decent too. Thoughts on any of these?

Interesting option of Jet Service...think I'd be nervous though someone taking our luggage away (and finding it at the airport).

They will store your bags for either a fee or tips while you use the resort pass. Miami Beach hotels will have access to the beach if that's important - downtown Miami hotels will only offer pools. SB hotels are farther from MIA, but the difference is not worth worrying about - $20 in an Uber/Lyft from downtown and about $25-30+, depending upon location, from Miami Beach. Your call. ;)

Renting a room may not get you into the room until 3:00 or so, although the hotel should be happy to store your bags while you grab lunch, etc. Hilton MIA would be my suggestion from those you listed. Uber to the hotel will be about $20, or $30+ in a cab.

They will store your bags for either a fee or tips while you use the resort pass. Miami Beach hotels will have access to the beach if that's important - downtown Miami hotels will only offer pools. SB hotels are farther from MIA, but the difference is not worth worrying about - $20 in an Uber/Lyft from downtown and about $25-30+, depending upon location, from Miami Beach. Your call. ;)

Renting a room may not get you into the room until 3:00 or so, although the hotel should be happy to store your bags while you grab lunch, etc. Hilton MIA would be my suggestion from those you listed. Uber to the hotel will be about $20, or $30+ in a cab.

Thanks. For proximity to airport, I guess I was talking in terms of not getting to far away so we can return in time (distance/traffic vs uber cost). Good point about the room...but guess 3pm isn't end of the world as it would at least let us shower/change after using the pool before heading to the airport.

Or we could just rent a car...need to figure out where/logistics/cost of that option.

National, Alamo, Thrifty and Enterprise offer free shuttles between POM and their MIA airport location (show the driver your rental paperwork). If you get a deal from someone else at MIA a taxi will be $27+ or you can Uber for about $20

Hertz, Avis and others have offices in downtown, closer to POM, and usually shuttle. If not, or you don't want to wait, a cab will be about $12+

The day passes are a great way to spend time but I will caution depending on using them during the rainy season. If you are coming in anytime from now through the fall, it is rainy season and you could be rained out by the pool. As BNBR will attest, we have had some strange weather patterns lately and a lot more rain and grey days than we normally do.

I know that the Four Seasons here on brickell is one of the hotels that offer day passes and I can say having been caught in long rain storms there by the pool, there is no where to sit outside to stay wet so all you have are some seats in the lobby area to hang around.

You don't get a room, you are booking the use of the pool areas for the times they give you. Each hotel is a bit different on when you can show up.

The day passes are a great way to spend time but I will caution depending on using them during the rainy season. If you are coming in anytime from now through the fall, it is rainy season and you could be rained out by the pool. As BNBR will attest, we have had some strange weather patterns lately and a lot more rain and grey days than we normally do.

I know that the Four Seasons here on brickell is one of the hotels that offer day passes and I can say having been caught in long rain storms there by the pool, there is no where to sit outside to stay wet so all you have are some seats in the lobby area to hang around.

You don't get a room, you are booking the use of the pool areas for the times they give you. Each hotel is a bit different on when you can show up.

Thank you for the note. Very good point. We are there very end of August so pretty sure I've heard that rain showers are daily. Maybe then we should look at the car option and just go to a mall or something. I assume there is one not too far? (We're Canadian so shopping isn't such a bad thing...aside from our dollar)

Oh I can attest to it, lol. I was at Atlantis for a few days a couple weeks ago and it wasn't ideal weather but didn't really rain much, thankfully. But overcast all day every day.

Thank you for the note. Very good point. We are there very end of August so pretty sure I've heard that rain showers are daily. Maybe then we should look at the car option and just go to a mall or something. I assume there is one not too far? (We're Canadian so shopping isn't such a bad thing...aside from our dollar)

I would not plan around rain showers, personally. If you wanted to do a day pass and enjoy the pools, etc, then do that.

Are you able to do bag check with your cruise line? I know that many offer that service, just not sure if you are heading to Canada if that is doable.

Don’t negate the pool for the day. Just read the time carefully on the various hotels and know that if it doesn’t rain for a few hours you may have to sit in the lobby in the downtown area. I was only thinking of the kids since I known at that age mine would probably get bored quickly if it did rain. But then again, there are also things you can walk to if that happens. Also can have lunch during the time frame.

There is a lot to do with the kids in downtown Miami if you don’t want to spend the afternoon at the pool. There is a great science museum downtown, The Frost Science Museum. An amazing movie theater in Brickell Citi Center. Brickell Citi Center is a mall with higher end stores. There is also the Dolphin Mall.

If you do rent a car and leave your luggage, make sure you don’t leave out anything in view. Put it all in the trunk. Miami can be very prone to car break ins.

Someone else mentioned the car rentals so I won’t go back into that.

Renting a room is another good option. You may not get the room until 3 but it would allow you to store your bags, give you full use of the pool and hotel and have a room to change before having to head to the hotel.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am taking note of the options and will discuss with DH.

For the downtown option which is an idea too (e.g. science museum, walking around, etc), what do you suggest we do with our bags? Store at airport first? Or we would rent a car?

I would either taxi/Uber to South Beach and use Luggage Lounge (suggested above) or pay to store your bags at MIA, or use luggage valet or whatever service your cruise line offers to take your bags and check them in for you.

Taxi from POM to MIA will cost $27+tip or you can Uber/Lyft for just under $20. After you store your bags a taxi to downtown will run about $25+ or you can Uber for about $15+ You do not need or want a car if spending the day in SB or downtown Miami.

I have been looking into this myself for after my cruise. I'm thinking I may just get a day room at a hotel near a mall so we have options of shopping, grabbing some food and swimming. This may also so sound sad but I'm looking at a hotel with a laundry, after a over night transatlantic and work the next day after landing I don't want to spend the day at home doing the washing :)

I have been looking into this myself for after my cruise. I'm thinking I may just get a day room at a hotel near a mall so we have options of shopping, grabbing some food and swimming. This may also so sound sad but I'm looking at a hotel with a laundry, after a over night transatlantic and work the next day after landing I don't want to spend the day at home doing the washing :)

We are also thinking of a day room post cruise, near a mall. Our flight is at 5.10 PM, so 0900/1000 to 1400-1600 would suit. Any recommendations? Merits of Courtyard Miami at Dolphin Mall v Hampton Inn & Suites ? Or would Blue Lagoon area be good?

JohninDC, I'm looking at your other post and hotelsbyday looks like a great option. They offer Pullman hotel which looks like it has nice pool, has restaurant onsite, is near airport and even offers shuttle...and with day pass hours 10am - 5pm with decent cost. That would work great for post cruise with flight at 8:30pm.

I assume hotelsbyday is reliable company? (I'm from Canada but assume that makes no difference)

Hi, late coming to this thread but it's exactly what I have question on. We will be finishing our cruise in Miami next Sat@7am and have a domestic flight out at 7:50pm. We are thinking of visiting Little Havana, Wynwood Arts District, and Art Deco area.

Our cruise has a city tour excursion ($60 pp) including HoHo Bus city tour, luggage storage, and transfer to MIA (from Bayside Market Place), so it will be total $120 for two of us. I think they have a 3pm and a 5pm shuttle to the airport from the Bayside Market Place stop. I suppose that's where they store our luggage.

Was wondering if this excursion is a good option/value and if the HoHo bus route would cover everything we would like to see. Thanks for your help.