Anyone know how many inches under carnival beds? For storing liggage.

AmberTeka

Personally, I dislike the idea of storing anything under the beds in a cabin or hotel room. There is a very slight chance of coming home with some unwanted critters left by the previous guests.

I only bring one small piece of luggage anyway, and can easily fit it in one of the closets. Even so, I always spray it when I get home before storing it in the garage.

While numerous posters will write that this has never happened to them when they put luggage under a bed, and I did say a very slight chance, I'm just following recommendations from pest control experts. I cruise and vacation often enough that I feel my exposure is heightened to this possibility.

I do the same with my luggage. After my daughter brought home some “critters” after a cruise on the Dream out of NOLA, and the nightmare that created for her, I have been diligent about it! I have a whole bed bug prevention routine! Lol! And I just bought hard sided luggage that I keep shut while on cruise after unloading everything to closet and shelves.

I am buying a new suitcase I think. I bought one that is 26" by 33". Is that too big?

Thank you for any advice.

The length and width are no problem. We have one suitcase that is too big depth-wise to fit under the bed.

Bed bugs don't discriminate. They can be found anywhere people rest and they can find a meal. I believe the cruise lines have programs to inspect and exterminate bedbugs if they are found. I always check the room when I stay anywhere. FYI, they are most commonly found within 6 feet of a bed, so putting open luggage under a bed is technically not a good idea. (However, yes the risk is likely low) If you want to find them you need to check seams and cracks as they like pressure on all sides. That picture hanging over the bed headboard is a good spot - run a credit card along the bottom and see if anything falls out. (creepy, but an ounce of prevention.....)

ROFL

There are more critters in your garage than under your cruise ship bed. Now, I may agree with you about critters under a hotel bed that probably never gets moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave some garbage bags in the car. If you do have signs of bed bugs (usually but not always bites in 3's) place your luggage in the bag. When you get home, place the clothes in a dryer on high heat. Heat is guaranteed to kill them and their eggs.

I do the same with my luggage. After my daughter brought home some “critters” after a cruise on the Dream out of NOLA, and the nightmare that created for her, I have been diligent about it! I have a whole bed bug prevention routine! Lol! And I just bought hard sided luggage that I keep shut while on cruise after unloading everything to closet and shelves.

If your room has bedbugs, it doesn't matter where you put your luggage. Your bringing a couple of souvenirs home!

That is why you should always place your luggage in the tiled bathroom until you can do a thorough bed bug check in the room. If any detected, take your luggage and leave the room immediately, go to guest services, and report the situation. Bed bugs do not survive in a tiled environment. You can even place luggage in the shower or tub, other safe zones.

And hard-sided luggage is not bed-bug proof. There are plenty of soft surfaces on/in your hard-sided luggage, including the zipper and the clothing that you place into it. I'm not saying that it doesn't help, but you should be aware of being falsely confident that you will not bring home any visitors with you just because you have hard-sided luggage.

And hard-sided luggage is not bed-bug proof. There are plenty of soft surfaces on/in your hard-sided luggage, including the zipper and the clothing that you place into it. I'm not saying that it doesn't help, but you should be aware of being falsely confident that you will not bring home any visitors with you just because you have hard-sided luggage.

What if it doesn’t have a zipper? Wouldn’t that be better than one that does?

What if it doesn’t have a zipper? Would that be better than one that does?

If you had hard-sided luggage with smooth surfaces and absolutely no soft surfaces (no zipper, no lining, etc.), then the luggage itself would be completely hostile to bed-bugs. Even that, though, doesn't guarantee that you won't then introduce them into the luggage on your clothing and then carry them home.

In fact, an exterminator friend tells me that the most common place that people get bed bugs and carry them home in movie theaters.

Not trying to be difficult, it's just that bed bugs are extremely expensive to effectively exterminate once you get them. I don't believe in having a false sense of security when it comes to prevention protocols (just ask my family ;p).

If you had hard-sided luggage with smooth surfaces and absolutely no soft surfaces (no zipper, no lining, etc.), then the luggage itself would be completely hostile to bed-bugs. Even that, though, doesn't guarantee that you won't then introduce them into the luggage on your clothing and then carry them home.

Not trying to be difficult, it's just that bed bugs are extremely expensive to effectively exterminate once you get them. I don't believe in having a false sense of security when it comes to prevention protocols (just ask my family ;p).

Oh sure, I understand. I have a suitcase that is hard sided and secures with two clamp style locks, no zipper. It does have a liner inside though as I have never seen one without. But I would keep it closed tight when not in use so at least if none got in, then they hopefully wouldn’t by storing it under the bed.

I also do a bedbug check whenever at a hotel or cruise ship cabin. People think I’m weird but that’s one headache I don’t want to deal with.

In fact, an exterminator friend tells me that the most common place that people get bed bugs and carry them home in movie theaters.

No false sense of security here. I still do my bed bug checks in hotel and cruise cabins. And I am very aware of movie theaters being the number one cause.