La Sagrada Familia

Looking in to options for our day in Barcelona. Technically we are in port from 5am-6pm on a Sunday, but that's because many people will begin and end their cruise this day. So getting off the ship, and on for that matter, might be chaotic. We're doing round-trip from Rome, so this is just a day-stop for us.

So, to my question... Is La Sagrada worth going inside for a tour or is seeing it's impressive beauty from the outside enough? Trying to figure out what we can squeeze in on this day. If the inside isn't "worth it" I'd rather skip and fit some other things in.

Visiting the inside with a guided tour is absolutely worth it. The outside is unique, almost garish at some facades. If you can plan ahead, book tickets for an English guided tour and a certain timed entrance and figure out how to get there via, metro or taxi to be on time. That will save on wasting time waiting in line or the possibility that tickets will not be available.

Sunkissed Mommy...

Frankly, if you only looked at the outside, you might not even consider going inside. I highly recommend getting tickets online for the 9:00 am admission. There is no way to adequately describe how incredible the inside is. Few churches are as breathtaking (or different) as Sagrada Familia. It's a must-see.

The #1 tourist attraction in Barcelona is Sagrada Familia, a basilica unlike any other in the world. Designed by Antoni Gaudí, its a work still in progress. While the exterior is genuinely unique --- my wife thinks it looks something like a sandcastle --- it's the interior that is jaw-dropping. Nothing really prepares you for the experience that awaits once you set foot inside.

We bought the "Basic" self-guided tour tickets (€15 pp) online at their official website for the 9:00 am entry time, which is when they open. All tickets are time-controled and they only let a set number of visitors in at 15-minute intervals. Miss your interval and you will be refused entry. However, once in, you can stay as long as you like. And they do have restrooms in the complex, but outside of the basilica on your way towards the museum, souvenir shop, and exit.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/barce...dafamilia2.jpg

Note that you cannot upgrade your tickets upon arrival. So if you want an audioguide, a guided tour, and/or wish to climb the tower, you need to make this choice online and pay for it in advance. We bought our tickets online over a month in advance of our early May visit. No tickets were available on site the day we visited. It had sold out online. If you enjoy sightseeing without the crowds, I highly recommend you get tickets for 9:00 am.

We got off the ship at 7:30 am and shared a taxi with 2 other couples (€30 total / €5 pp) to Sagrada Familia. We arrived before 8:00 am and got a good look at many of the statues on the exterior prior to getting in line at street level for security which opened about 8:30 am. We queued a second time in the courtyard one floor above security.

If you prefer to take the metro, and the Cruise Bus is running, take the Cruise Bus to the Christopher Columbus statue. Then walk NW 2 blocks from the Christopher Columbus statue to the Drassanes Metro station. It's located just the other side of the Comandància Naval de Barcelona building. Take the green L3 metro 1 stop to Paral-lel station, then change to the L2 Purple Metro and take it directly to the Sagrada Familia stop. The Sagrada Familia can be seen immediately upon exiting the metro.

At 9:00 am the Sagrada Familia doors opened and welcomed the first group of ticketholders. There is some massing just inside the door as you become enthralled at the grand beauty and begin capturing the first of over 400 pictures. Thank goodness for digital photography! The beautiful colored light you see in my photos is natural sunlight coming through stained glass windows. The colored glass and window placements were carefull conceived and orchestrated to provide a changing light show from sun up to sun down. No artificial colored lighting is used, and most of the pillars are actually white.

We spent close to 2 hours exploring the basilica, watching the lighting change as time passed, and visiting the museum displays below the church. The church was practically empty for the first 15 minutes, but got fuller every succeeding quarter-hour. There were maybe 100 visitors when we arrived and few thousand (inside and out) when we left about 10:45 am.

Complete detailed review of Celebrity Reflection and 8 Western Mediterranean Ports

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/weste...terranean.html

Secrets of the Mediterranean: details, hints, and tips for over 20 Mediterranean Cities

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/medit...n-secrets.html

Looking in to options for our day in Barcelona. Technically we are in port from 5am-6pm on a Sunday, but that's because many people will begin and end their cruise this day. So getting off the ship, and on for that matter, might be chaotic. We're doing round-trip from Rome, so this is just a day-stop for us.

So, to my question... Is La Sagrada worth going inside for a tour or is seeing it's impressive beauty from the outside enough? Trying to figure out what we can squeeze in on this day. If the inside isn't "worth it" I'd rather skip and fit some other things in.

Do not skip the inside. We used the audio guide which allowed us to start and stop as we pleased and take photos at our pace. Others prefer a guide led tour as you can ask questions. Either works but don’t miss it. We have been twice with a few years in between and marvelled at the changes. Be sure to book a time in advance.

Do not skip the inside. We used the audio guide which allowed us to start and stop as we pleased and take photos at our pace.

Agree - do not miss the interior. We have also utilized the audio guides. Book online - the queues are quite daunting if you don't.

Yes, the inside is worth it. Also agree with getting an early ticket. If it is a sunny day, you will see the sun coming through the stained glass without a lot of people in the building.

Do not skip the inside. We used the audio guide which allowed us to start and stop as we pleased and take photos at our pace. Others prefer a guide led tour as you can ask questions. Either works but don’t miss it. We have been twice with a few years in between and marvelled at the changes. Be sure to book a time in advance.

With the self-guided audio tour, what type of headphones are used? I only ask because my husband cannot wear many types due to his cochlear implant and how the sound processor picks up sound. Im wondering if he can bring his own cable or if its a one-piece standard kit.

I just got back from several days in Barcelona and a Mediterranean cruise and I would add that the interior is a must do. It was my most favorite architectural feature I saw the whole trip! We were there in the afternoon and the light coming in the stained glass windows was magnificent! I was able to get the most amazing photo. If you are also able I would also recommend doing one of the towers. We had tickets for the Nativity tower. We took an elevator up and then walked down 400 steps. The views were amazing!!

Thank you for everyone's feedback!

We've come up with a plan. Get off the ship and take a Taxi to La Sagrada (prepurchase tickets for the first tour of the morning that gives access to the towers as well). Spend some time there. Then taxi over to Parc Guell (with noon-time tickets), spend some time there, taxi to Playa de Catalunya. Walk La Rambla back to the Christopher Columbus statue.

Sound doable? Are taxis easy to come by once you're away from the port?

You must see the inside of Sagrada Familia. We went last October on a Sunday and there was a mass but it was separate from where all the tourists are. We booked on line and arrived about 15 minutes early but were refused entry until the allocated time. We had the audio guide and probably spent about 1 hour inside and another hour outside. I would recommend you book in advance.

We were in Barcelona in May of this year and booked in advance for Park Guell as there are building and renovation works going on which has led to a restriction on the visitor numbers allowed on site. We over heard a member of staff tell some people that hadn't booked that they may get in about 90 minutes after they arrived.

Sunkissed Mommy, you have an excellent plan for the day.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for this detailed information. For those of you that have FINISHED your cruise in Barcelona, what timing would you suggest? Although I would like to book the 9AM entrance, this won't be practical. We will have to dis-embark from the ship, collect our luggage, and bring it to the hotel before we visit the Cathedral.

We are only in Barcelona for that one day. Sagrada Familia is the ONE thing I really want to see. Our hotel is within walking distance of the Cathedral, so it will be a matter of one taxi ride (I assume) from the port to the lodging. We can make an early day of it, but I think 9 AM might be pushing our luck.

If you can't be there that early, what is a good time to plan? We would be choosing the audio tour and maybe the tower(s.)

Our hotel is within walking distance of the Cathedral,

I'm sure you know already, but I've read several times people mistaking the Cathedral and the Sagrada Familia. The Cathedral is near Las Ramblas (500 m)

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

The information here is very helpful.

We will be visiting Barcelona last weekend in September, arriving Saturday afternoon from Australia.

Not sure how jet lagged we will be, have a nights stopover in Dubai but it's still a long trip across quite different time zones.

So trying to decide on best time to go to La Sagrada Familia on Sunday, not sure whether to just ease into the day & wander around then head there later in the day or just get up & get going There's 10.30, 1.30 & 4.30 time slots available.

Any input is appreciated :)

I just got back from several days in Barcelona and a Mediterranean cruise and I would add that the interior is a must do. It was my most favorite architectural feature I saw the whole trip! We were there in the afternoon and the light coming in the stained glass windows was magnificent! I was able to get the most amazing photo. If you are also able I would also recommend doing one of the towers. We had tickets for the Nativity tower. We took an elevator up and then walked down 400 steps. The views were amazing!!

Hi anjuan, how was your visit in the afternoon, did you find it very crowded? Would you go again in the afternoon?

You must see the inside of Sagrada Familia. We went last October on a Sunday and there was a mass but it was separate from where all the tourists are. We booked on line and arrived about 15 minutes early but were refused entry until the allocated time.

Hi JimmyTheSaint,

What time was your visit on the Sunday? Was entry a bit later because of the mass?

Thank you.

LM

We were in Barcelona two days ago. We had pre-booked a 4:30pm slot at the Sagrada Familia, and it was great. We showed our ticket and walked right in... no line at all. It was crowded inside, but not overwhelming. We spent about 2 hours inside. It’s definitely something to see! We were a little crazy and walked there from the cruise terminal. It took just under an hour, and we got to see all sorts of interesting things along the way. Highly recommended if you like walking.

The information here is very helpful.

We will be visiting Barcelona last weekend in September, arriving Saturday afternoon from Australia.

Not sure how jet lagged we will be, have a nights stopover in Dubai but it's still a long trip across quite different time zones.

So trying to decide on best time to go to La Sagrada Familia on Sunday, not sure whether to just ease into the day & wander around then head there later in the day or just get up & get going There's 10.30, 1.30 & 4.30 time slots available.

Any input is appreciated :)

Hi anjuan, how was your visit in the afternoon, did you find it very crowded? Would you go again in the afternoon?

Hi JimmyTheSaint,

What time was your visit on the Sunday? Was entry a bit later because of the mass?

Thank you.

LM

Our entry time was 11am, it was the earliest available when we booked

Thank you dss22, Hula Lullaby & JimmyTheSaint,

Hmm decisions, decisions.

Going early or later in the day seems to be the consensus.

Our entry time was 11am, it was the earliest available when we booked[/quote

I'm sure it's crowded no matter what time you go but how did you find the crowds at this time?

Manageable?

Cheers,

LM

Thank you for everyone's feedback!

We've come up with a plan. Get off the ship and take a Taxi to La Sagrada (prepurchase tickets for the first tour of the morning that gives access to the towers as well). Spend some time there. Then taxi over to Parc Guell (with noon-time tickets), spend some time there, taxi to Playa de Catalunya. Walk La Rambla back to the Christopher Columbus statue.

Sound doable? Are taxis easy to come by once you're away from the port?

We (small family of 3) are also boarding in Rome, and we plan on doing the exact same thing in Barcelonia. We may not do the Playa de Catalunya. Would you like to look into sharing a taxi?