St Petersburg

I was reading a post on Facebook which said Celebrity Silhouette had been unable to dock in St Petersburg due to high winds. I know this happens sometimes at various ports but I had never heard of it happening in St Petersburg, is this a regular occurence or unusual?

Yes, my friends are currently on that particular Baltic cruise - Celebrity Silhouette. My friend texted and said that due to high winds the ship could not dock in St. Petersburg on either day (July 1 & 2). They now are on their way to Warnemunde.

It is fairly rare but it can happen. A few years ago, another ship was unable to dock on the first of the 2 days.

we've had some reports of this happening very rarely (although the ships normally can dock on day 2.) So sorry for your friends - this must have been a real disappointment!

It's the dock into Stockholm that is usually the problem on this cruise. The sail through the archipelago is quite technically challenging, and there isn't much leeway for wind or rough seas. Larger ships are fairly often diverted to Nynashamn due to the difficulty of docking directly in Stockholm.

Yet the passengers will be disappointed, but nothing like as much as the cruise company who will have lost a whole load of profit on the tours they would have run from there.

On our recent visit on Silhouette in May I watched the passage from the port to the flood barrier and beyond. It is a long and narrow channel (from the marker buoys). It is easy to see how difficult this might be with high winds on a ship like Silhouette.