Poor Communication Regarding Cancelled Cruise

ithaca gal

I am sure the price will come down unless it is the Voyage of the Vikings cruise. It is still early for 2019 bookings. Even Prinsendam prices sometimes come down depending on the cruise.

If the ship and the itinerary are okay, I would hold the cruise unless you can find something else you like better.

We were not able to change our cabin, since the only available ones were also connecting cabins.

Since it is the voyage of the Vikings, I will just have to watch what happens to the price for our cabin, Or possibly upgrade at some point.

Our Rotterdam June 2019 Iceland cruise no longer exits....have not heard one word, e-mail, or phone call. We dealt with HAL directly. Only found out here, called HAL told our reservation still exists but, the sailing does not. We also carefully selected our room, itinerary etc. Poor customer service.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our Rotterdam June 2019 Iceland cruise no longer exits....have not heard one word, e-mail, or phone call. We dealt with HAL directly. Only found out here, called HAL told our reservation still exists but, the sailing does not. We also carefully selected our room, itinerary etc. Poor customer service.

Try calling 800-577-1729 M - Fr 7:00 - 5:00 PDT. I found them to be very helpful, even though I had booked through a TA (our TA was on vacation last week).

Actually found a similar cruise on MSC, for a much more reasonable price. Maybe doing a switch.

We were not able to change our cabin, since the only available ones were also connecting cabins.

Since it is the voyage of the Vikings, I will just have to watch what happens to the price for our cabin, Or possibly upgrade at some point.

Have you thought of booking an inside? If it is the Zuiderdam, the inside staterooms on the MAIN DECK are huge!

Have you thought of booking an inside? If it is the Zuiderdam, the inside staterooms on the MAIN DECK are huge!

My DH insists on an OV at least.

My TA will be back at work tomorrow, so I will talk with her then about options.

Not at all happy with how they handled this mess.

Basically, we started with four booked cruises, and we're finishing up the Prinsendam shuffle with only three booked cruises w/ HAL.

When we went through this with Royal Caribbean, we were offered $400 OBC on ANY cruise.

On HAL, we went from a 24-day cruise to a 35-day cruise from the same port, and it cost more. The other option would have been a one-way TA and a long flight.

Our other cruise, South America round trip Volendam, was a change from Winter 2020 to Fall 2019. Again 30-day cruise increased to 35 day. And I was told I could only replace it with another 30+ day cruise to get the OBC.

Looks like we'll have to drop the South America round trip. They really should have come up with additional itineraries beyond spring 2020. We may have gone for a 30 day South America in the fall of 2020.

Wouldn't it have been easier to leave everything in place, and re-deploy the Prinsendam cruises into the summer of 2020 on the three ships?

Wouldn't it have been easier to leave everything in place, and re-deploy the Prinsendam cruises into the summer of 2020 on the three ships?

I've been wondering that same thing too. Far fewer guests would have been negatively impacted. Why do schedules of three other ships need to be scrambled? Could it have to do with port contracts possibly?

I've been wondering that same thing too. Far fewer guests would have been negatively impacted. Why do schedules of three other ships need to be scrambled? Could it have to do with port contracts possibly?

Wouldn't it be refreshing for a company to explain why they HAD to do what they did?

Ithaca Gal, I’m curious to know if HAL has officially contacted you or your TA about the cancellation yet? Of course by some posters standards 9 days may not be a reasonable amount of time to expect to be notified by. 🤭

Hopefully, your deposit has been refunded.

If you use a travel agent, the fault, if any, is with the travel agent. However, don't jump to conclusions. It is possible that the cancellations will be processed over a period of time rather than overloading the system by handling of the cancellations all at once.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sounds logical.

Sounds logical.

You would think it would be logical but, not only had they not notified mytravel agent three days after I first learned about it, they told my travel agent that the cruise was not canceled. When I begged to differ, she called back and found out that it was, indeed, canceled. Not very logical at all.