Donations to Cuba?

Cruisegirl6

I would like to bring things for the Cuban people, I read hair scrunchies, crayons and coloring books for children and shampoo and bar soap could be appreciated by the Cuban people. My other half says they are just fine, but I am reading they could use items, I want to bring things to them but is this against the rules of the cruise line (yes, I will have to call and ask them to)? Does anybody know of an orphanage there that I can bring things to the children?

While understanding the impulse to help those considered less well off than oneself, IMO there is a fundamental lack of understanding of Cuban society in those wishing to bring dollar store junk to people they do not know. Please do more reading about this subject; most experienced Cuba travelers discourage this random giving, for good reasons. There are sporadic shortages of certain items in Cuba, but most things are available, particularly to those more well off Cubans a tourist is likely to come in contact with, and particularly in Havana. During the 90s when Cuba first lost assistance from the Soviets, perhaps there was some need and this culture of "giving" developed, which has been perpetuated by the uninformed. But currently hair scrunchies are really not needed, except perhaps to provide extra income to those who receive and immediately sell them. Tip in cash (CUC or CUP) for good service. Make some Cuban friends on your trip; when you return next time, you can ask them what they might need or want.

If you absolutely wish to donate something of use, you can bring a separate (30 kilo iirc) bag of over the counter medical supplies through customs and donate them to a church or synagogue (who can identify those really in need). One address at which to drop these things off is El Patronato in Vedado (Calle I, #259, Esquina 13).which has a free "pharmacy" open to anyone. Any taxi driver can take you there from the pier for 5 CUC.

While understanding the impulse to help those considered less well off than oneself, IMO there is a fundamental lack of understanding of Cuban society in those wishing to bring dollar store junk to people they do not know. Please do more reading about this subject; most experienced Cuba travelers discourage this random giving, for good reasons. There are sporadic shortages of certain items in Cuba, but most things are available, particularly to those more well off Cubans a tourist is likely to come in contact with, and particularly in Havana. During the 90s when Cuba first lost assistance from the Soviets, perhaps there was some need and this culture of "giving" developed, which has been perpetuated by the uninformed. But currently hair scrunchies are really not needed, except perhaps to provide extra income to those who receive and immediately sell them. Tip in cash (CUC or CUP) for good service. Make some Cuban friends on your trip; when you return next time, you can ask them what they might need or want.

If you absolutely wish to donate something of use, you can bring a separate (30 kilo iirc) bag of over the counter medical supplies through customs and donate them to a church or synagogue (who can identify those really in need). One address at which to drop these things off is El Patronato in Vedado (Calle I, #259, Esquina 13).which has a free "pharmacy" open to anyone. Any taxi driver can take you there from the pier for 5 CUC.

Great answer, this should be on the top as a stickie.

I just got back from Cuba. My 13 year old daughters put together bags of sidewalk chalk and scrunchies and hair ties to give to kids in Cuba, and to practice their Spanish. The bags got as far as customs and were taken by the officers who searched our bags. Depending on the mood of the officer manning the x-ray machine, your donations may not end up going where you want. My advice, save your money, to convert to cuts (small bills) and give money to the kids or parents walking with their children not begging for money. Families make $20 a month to live on, the money will be greatly appreciated and not stolen in customs.

I just got back from Cuba. My 13 year old daughters put together bags of sidewalk chalk and scrunchies and hair ties to give to kids in Cuba, and to practice their Spanish. The bags got as far as customs and were taken by the officers who searched our bags. Depending on the mood of the officer manning the x-ray machine, your donations may not end up going where you want. My advice, save your money, to convert to cuts (small bills) and give money to the kids or parents walking with their children not begging for money. Families make $20 a month to live on, the money will be greatly appreciated and not stolen in customs.

Do you mean 'convert to CUCs' ??? That is 1 currency in Cuba. Many locals use CUP Cuban Pesos.

I won't give out money, it could cause a riot situation, I meant well but since the items didn't get through customs I am not going out of my way to have them thrown out, I was going to bring medical supplies but now I am just not going to donate a thing, not worth any problems. Thank you everybody.

Medical supplies are LEGAL to bring in to Cuba, in a separate bag. You should not have any problems at Cuban customs doing so. They are very much appreciated by the religious organizations that distribute them. If I can find the written Cuban legal statute allowing this, I will post it. It has been posted on TA and TT before. Any Cuban customs officials confiscating items are probably just taking them for personal use or to sell, obviously a violation of their own regs. Quote their own regs back to them. Don't desist in your charitable impulses. (However, randomly giving away money or cheap junk in the street to people you assume are poor is absurd IMO.)

10kg each person, in original packaging

-----

Perhaps advance email the contact person at El Patronato for advice on how to bring medical items in without problems.

E-mail: beth_shalom@enet.cuor patronato_ort@enet.cu

Also, the organization linked to in this post may be able to advise too.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k1408741-Taking_Needed_Medical_Supplies_to_Cuba-Cuba.html

I was told they provide a letter to you in Spanish to show to Aduana/Customs and an address of a place to donate the items.

Edited by RiverBlues

I would like to bring things for the Cuban people, I read hair scrunchies, crayons and coloring books for children and shampoo and bar soap could be appreciated by the Cuban people. My other half says they are just fine, but I am reading they could use items, I want to bring things to them but is this against the rules of the cruise line (yes, I will have to call and ask them to)? Does anybody know of an orphanage there that I can bring things to the children?

Just ask your guide or driver.

They will take you to the closest school or orphanage ;)

I love the idea of taking OTC medicines over for donation. I imagine ibuprofen and acetaminophen would be staples, but anything else specifically?

I love the idea of taking OTC medicines over for donation. I imagine ibuprofen and acetaminophen would be staples, but anything else specifically?

Vitamin C and prenatal vitamins have been specifically requested. Cuba Libro, an English language bookstore in Havana that also coordinates donations to local organizations, has requested these as they are difficult (if not impossible) to find in Cuba.

Tampons are also appreciated, as they are not available as part of the state-sponsored rations. The sanitary products that are provided are of low quality and often are in insufficient quantities.

Just note that, while you may feel that ibuprofin and the like are an indispensable part of daily life, many Cubans, after the 1990 withdrawal of Soviet support, reverted to using natural plant-based cures, and are no longer very interested in OTC meds of that kind. Some may want them, but I have experienced being rebuffed when I offered them to one individual I knew.

Cuba Libro is an interesting visit for any reason, to have a coffee and see what the place is about, not just to donate. This is the blog written by the owner: a journalist, long-time resident, and an American.

https://hereishavana.com/

Blexie just posted this on his Facebook page a few hours ago. Something to think about.

Hi everyone,

I really didn’t want to write about this but since it has become abusive and embarrassing,I guess I have to address about it.

People coming on cruise ships to visit Havana have shown interests on helping the Cuban people.They have been committed to spend their money and time to bring gifts for the people here in Cuba.Suddenly, at Cuban customs,they have been stopped and their gifts have gotten confiscated.

Cuban authorities have advised that they don’t want tourists bringing gifts (which I call them necessary items that our government can’t provide sometimes).

It boils my blood seeing things like that,seeing how Cuban people that are supposed to care about us do nothing but hurting us (again and again).

What I recommend is :

-Don’t bring an extra bag for gifts.

-Tell the items in your bag are for personal use.

-Unpack (unbox) the items so they don’t look brand new.

-Don’t let them confiscate the stuff.They make it look like a big deal but most of them just want to keep the stuff (sad).

Blexie

Blexie just posted this on his Facebook page a few hours ago. Something to think about.

Hi everyone,

I really didn’t want to write about this but since it has become abusive and embarrassing,I guess I have to address about it.

People coming on cruise ships to visit Havana have shown interests on helping the Cuban people.They have been committed to spend their money and time to bring gifts for the people here in Cuba.Suddenly, at Cuban customs,they have been stopped and their gifts have gotten confiscated.

Cuban authorities have advised that they don’t want tourists bringing gifts (which I call them necessary items that our government can’t provide sometimes).

It boils my blood seeing things like that,seeing how Cuban people that are supposed to care about us do nothing but hurting us (again and again).

What I recommend is :

-Don’t let them confiscate the stuff.They make it look like a big deal but most of them just want to keep the stuff (sad).

Blexie

Many people, including those from US, Brazil, Cuba and elsewhere, are quick to criticize their own government, like this statement above. (And of course, all have shortcomings that can improve.)

Please note the wording though:

"tourists bringing gifts......necessary items that our government can’t provide SOMETIMES"

Note the word "sometimes". There are often shortages of one item or another, occasionally, but most items are available. It might take a bit more effort running around town to find them than you are used to at home, but eventually most things appear on the market, especially in Havana. The utter lack of things that occurred right after the Soviets pulled out in the 1990s, the situation that gave rise to the original posts about donations that have outlived their usefulness, does not really exist today.

I don't know how to post a photo here, but I have them, of pharmacies with full shelves, that may show you that you don't have to bring toothbrushes to unfortunate Cubans who don't have basic toiletries.

Also, the advice about unboxing items so they do not seem new works if you are coming through Aduana with all your luggage at the airport, but is not really applicable to cruise passengers

How about buying these items IN Havana/Cuba and distributing then? Like toothpaste, toothbrushes, personal hygiene items, etc.

IMO there are some misconceptions here.

If there is a temporary shortage, there is a temporary shortage. Why would you think you could find something when a Cuban local can't at any certain time? It is usually a question of shortages rather than lack of resources to purchase basics.

How would you know what was hard to find in any given time period? An item that you might spend time, effort and money on that might simply show up on the local market the next week?

Would you like to see photos of pharmacies in Havana and elsewhere around the country with shelves full of products?

Would you like to see photos of elderly Cubans with teeth as good as any person of their age in the US, proof of the existence of sufficient toothbrushes and toothpaste?

Cuba Libro, an English language bookstore in Havana that also coordinates donations to local organizations, has requested these as they are difficult (if not impossible) to find in Cuba.

Tampons are also appreciated, as they are not available as part of the state-sponsored rations. The sanitary products that are provided are of low quality and often are in insufficient quantities.

Cuba Libro's Connor Gorey also requests "exotic" condoms (flavored, ribbed, Magnum) as her cafe has a give away basket....and "the government dispenses plain condoms" so they "NEED exotics".

Unfortunately, Cuba is not yet in a position to have the full variety of products a US resident may be accustomed to having easily at hand, but products for basic use can be found. Cubans are clean and healthy and well-educated. Use your judgement regarding "need".

Hi everyone,

What I recommend is :

Blexie

This FB post is why I asked about toiletries etc and what to bring. That there are shortages and needs.

This FB post is why I asked about toiletries etc and what to bring. That there are shortages and needs.

There are shortages. "Shortage" means that for some period of time a certain item may not be able to be found. Then it appears on the market again. This can get tiresome to Cubans that have to live with those conditions and spend their days among affluent tourists with a plethora of "things".

But because a Cuban can't run out to CVS at 3 am to get deodorant does not constitute 'need'.

Bring what you want. Its your money and time and effort. Just understand that some Cuban is likely to sell it for cash, at half the price you paid or less, to buy what they really "need".

I suggest you read the TA comments on gifting by travelers who have been going to Cuba for years.

I just received this email today. Straight from the horse's mouth ... so to speak:

Dear ,

As long as I know based on my own experience, anyone can bring small donations (few items) and deliver them to people directly (schools, nurseries, hospitals, social aid restaurants and so on) but when it is about large amount of items it most be coordinated with Cubans institutions that supervised which items are being delivered to control illegal imports/traffic and organize the delivery process so the items get to those who need them. Those institutions would also provide a license to release import taxes/restrictions on certain donations.

For instance: I worked once with a couple who brought a few amount of pens, pencils, toys and school materials for kids and we went straight to a primary school and delivered everything to the school authorities, everyone happy. However, another time I found a couple who brought a big bag of second hand sport shoes for kids and weren't able to pass through the Custom check at the Cruise Station with their bag as it was considered an import exceeding the number of items allowed by local regulations. They were quite frustrated...

Sadly it takes quite a bit of time and a lots of talks to get those authorities to work for bringing donations, especially if you are addressing on low level authorities... I could fill countless pages describing their reasons...

Donations are of course welcome by those who need them the most (elderly or disabled people, hospitals, schools) but on the other hand I don't think authorities are quite happy with all regulations and controls they have to go through when they receive them. My advice is to coordinate everything through the Cruise Lines authorities because they definitely have high rank contacts in Cuba to go straight to the key decision maker on those issues.

We had 4 zip lock gallon bags of OTC meds ( Aspirin, cortisone cream, bandages, could remedies, etc) and toiletries for "gifts". My husband took two bags thru the security scan and a few minutes later I walked thru the other scanner with my two . Luckily they were not confiscated, or even questioned. We had a specific tour that took us to a synagogue that sets up a pharmacy for the community ( Jewish and non Jewish community ) so we knew what to bring. I did get a few "character" tooth brushes for kids. We were so happy to give these bags of simple but very needed items.

I think it is hard for those of us in the US to understand what they have or don't have.

OP - I hope you will re consider your later comment about not bringing anything.

M

We had a specific tour that took us to a synagogue that sets up a pharmacy for the community ( Jewish and non Jewish community ) so we knew what to bring.

I think it is hard for those of us in the US to understand what they have or don't have.

This is the El Patronato that I have mentioned several times in these "donation" threads. They have been running this "pharmacy" for decades. You can just take a taxi over there (Calle I, corner of 13th, in Vedado) for 5 CUC, walk into the office and drop things off.

Get in contact beforehand to ascertain what is needed. And they in turn are known to people who have a legitimate need to use, and not sell, the items. They, as some charities do, may supply a letter to use at Cuban Aduana/Customs in the event (doesn't happen all the time) that you are stopped by a Cuban official.

Contact info (again):

Adela Dworin

Vice President of Casa de la Comunidad Hebrea de Cuba

El Patronato

Calle I, #259, Esquina 13

Vedado, Ciudad de la Habana 10400 Cuba

Phone: (537) 832-8953

Fax: (537) 33 3778

E-mail: beth_shalom@enet.cu or

patronato_ort@enet.cu

Thanks so much for the OTC med information. I am a pediatrician and am taking a tour with Blexie with a visit to a hospital. I asked about what to bring but the med info here is just what I needed and legal. Off to Walmart!