Norton Explorer(er)s Trumps BFF Putins land

Day 2 in St. Petersburg was going to be a little bit different. Instead of going on a ships tour I opted to use a private provider (Alla tours) to see a very specific list of sights. Originally I was going to use Alla for some other sites, but because I saw them on the ships tour the previous day (and wanted to be back early to not miss my evening tour) I wound up with some holes in my schedule. They provided some interesting filler stops.

Our first stop was to the icebreaker Krassin. It was built for the Imperial navy and subsequently renamed by the communists. At one point during I believe World War 2 the US almost wound up with it (along with a $500,000 repair bill).

DSC_7936-XL.jpg

It's a museum ship now and was left in it's Soviet state (It was refurbished ~1950s in the DDR - land of vine and grape...)

DSC_7939-XL.jpg

DSC_7941-XL.jpg

I never did find out what this was.

DSC_7942-XL.jpg

DSC_7945-XL.jpg

DSC_7946-XL.jpg

Across the river were what appeared to be a few Kilo (or Kilo improved) class diesel electric submarines. No luck on finding the Lada class St. Petersburg submarine in St. Petersburg.

DSC_7937-XL.jpg

Nearby was a post WW2 vintage Whiskey class submarine (S-189).

DSC_7948-XL.jpg

Interesting size comparison between it and a "small" cruise ship.

DSC_7950-XL.jpg

Not surprisingly we wound up at another church, this time the Church of the Assumption of Mary.

DSC_7951-XL.jpg

DSC_7952-XL.jpg

DSC_7953-XL.jpg

I guess they had some soccer thing happen in the recent past (though I was told this one wasn't from the World Cup).

DSC_7955-XL.jpg

Next we loaded onto our camels and made the trek across the desert to see the sphinx.

DSC_7956-XL.jpg

Apparently for a while this was the place to spend time if you were a mystic.

DSC_7957-XL.jpg

One of the many draw bridges in the city.

DSC_7959-XL.jpg

DSC_7960-XL.jpg

One of the many man made canals. Depending on the guide it was designed to be similar to either Amsterdam or Venice. Flip a coin.

DSC_7961-XL.jpg

Still having time to kill before our first "must be" stop we went to palace square where it was surprisingly uncrowded.

DSC_7965-XL.jpg

There were a couple of Star Wars fans (I think they were reenacting a lightsaber duel)

DSC_7966-XL.jpg

The angel that protects the city.

DSC_7968-XL.jpg

DSC_7969-XL.jpg

The Winter Palace aka Hermitage

DSC_7973-XL.jpg

DSC_7979-XL.jpg

Now there's something you don't see every day (even in Russia) or They don't make them like that anymore are both appropriate for this car.

DSC_7998-XL.jpg

Eventually it was time to visit the side of the Hermitage to catch a hydrofoil to Peterhof.

[YOUTUBE]Zh1ETg1EsRE[/YOUTUBE]

I don't know if the subs were being repaired or scrapped but they seemed to be missing their periscopes and antenna. I'm very happy the weather cooperated. The last time I was there the weather was perfect. Except for Peterhof. When we were in the gardens. The rain cover I had for may camera didn't work and the camera shorted out. Thankfully after the camera dried the only loss were the pictures I wasn't able to take.

The hydrofoil dropped us at the far end of the pier (like all my flights get into the point furthest from) and it was a little walk to the crowded ticket booths. The guide picked up our tickets and we wandered the gardens while waiting for the fountains to be turned on.

DSC_7999-XL.jpg

The city (aside from the Gaz Prom appendage) looks relatively flat from a distance.

DSC_8000-XL.jpg

Some of the periphery fountains were already running.

DSC_8003-XL.jpg

DSC_8004-XL.jpg

DSC_8006-XL.jpg

I think those are supposed to be musical notes

DSC_8007-XL.jpg

Apparently Peter the Great was a joker and liked to get his guests wet. The guide claimed this particular fountain was pressure activated (eg: you step on it and it squirts).

DSC_8013-XL.jpg

It was pressure activated all right. By the pressure this guy applied to a switch.

DSC_8009-XL.jpg

DSC_8017-XL.jpg

Peter the Great. The area around the statue was littered with coins. It seems that you get good luck if you manage to toss a coin into the backside of his boot.

DSC_8018-XL.jpg

This was another "pressure activated" fountain. It was surrounded by the faux pressure plates. There were booths hidden on either side with watchers who would turn the water on/off. The guide tried to get us to go around the far side.

DSC_8020-XL.jpg

DSC_8027-XL.jpg

Our next stops were a few years after the end of WW2 and during the cold war. We saw a few Soviet era metro stations (we had a choice, modern or Soviet and I opted for the Soviet version assuming the modern would look like any other subway).

DSC_8087-XL.jpg

Interesting artwork and clean. Something you'd never see in NYC or SF.

DSC_8088-XL.jpg

DSC_8089-XL.jpg

DSC_8092-XL.jpg

Column types: Doric, Ionic, Corinthian and Communist.

DSC_8093-XL.jpg

DSC_8094-XL.jpg

Along the way to Peter and Paul fortress we passed columns that were setup in the style of Roman victors (the Romans seem to have liked to decorate their columns with the bows of captured ships).

DSC_8120-XL.jpg

Inside the fortress

DSC_8122-XL.jpg

DSC_8123-XL.jpg

DSC_8124-XL.jpg

DSC_8125-XL.jpg

A series of signs showing the high water level at various points in the fortresses history

DSC_8126-XL.jpg