Norton Explorer(er)s Trumps BFF Putins land

I understand that seafood and poultry must be frozen but good quality vacuum packed beef can stay fresh for months without problem, so I just don't see the need to use frozen beef.

I think that I was looking at "frozen" and "vacuum packed" as being the same thing. We live in an area where certain seafood is plentiful (Halibut, Salmon, etc.). They are flash frozen and then shipped out.

Since we live in different countries (and yours is beautiful - we've been there twice), I may not understand what you meant by "vacuum packed". Are you saying that vacuum packed meat does not have to be frozen? Does it have to be refrigerated? This is a new concept to me but very interesting.

Sorry to go off track a bit but I believe that others may be interested in this as well.

P.S. I was so curious that I Googled it. For anyone that it interested here is a link about vacuum packing (but I still think that Regent freezes meat - could be 100% incorrect). http://www.vakuumverpacken.de/GB/fachberichte/all_you_need.pdf

All meats, fish, poultry that are vacuume packed must be frozen. We do this at home with leftovers and they will stay fresh for three to six months. You can buy a vacume sealer at Costco or BBB and Amazon as well. We use to throw away too much food but now we can save it without getting freezer burn and it still tastes fresh.

I am really sure the meat in Regent is vacuum packed then frozen. That is how we process the beef on the ranch all the time.

They might do that on Regent I don't know, but in that case I don't understand why, a frozen piece of meat always gonna be of less quality then a fresh one, a frozen piece of meat will always lose moisture when defrosted.

It will also be a much more complicated process for the kitchen staff with all the defrosting of meat then to just use fresh vacuum packed beef.

All the big meat suppliers here in Stockholm sell vacuum packed US beef(most common from Nebraska) which has not been frozen and depend on what cut it is it can stay fresh for up to 3 months.

Also when one vacuum pack meat there is no downside when it´s come to quality, the only thing that might happen is that the meat gets a bit darker and it might smell a little when you open the bag, but just leave it for a few minuts and the smell will be gone an the color will be back to normal.

TC2- Yes you must keep vacuum packed meat refrigerated.

Edited by Winters Gate

All meats, fish, poultry that are vacuume packed must be frozen. We do this at home with leftovers and they will stay fresh for three to six months. You can buy a vacume sealer at Costco or BBB and Amazon as well. We use to throw away too much food but now we can save it without getting freezer burn and it still tastes fresh.

Please we discusses meat processed by professionals, aimed for the cruise, hotel and restaurant business. That has absolutely nothing to do with what one do at home with a vacum sealer you by on Amazon!

They might do that on Regent I don't know, but in that case I don't understand why, a frozen piece of meat always gonna be of less quality then a fresh one, a frozen piece of meat will always lose moisture when defrosted.

It will also be a much more complicated process for the kitchen staff with all the defrosting of meat then to just use fresh vacuum packed beef.

All the big meat suppliers here in Stockholm sell vacuum packed US beef(most common from Nebraska) which has not been frozen and depend on what cut it is it can stay fresh for up to 3 months.

Also when one vacuum pack meat there is no downside when it´s come to quality, the only thing that might happen is that the meat gets a bit darker and it might smell a little when you open the bag, but just leave it for a few minuts and the smell will be gone an the color will be back to normal.

TC2- Yes you must keep vacuum packed meat refrigerated.

Again, thank you for explaining what is done in Stockholm. Not sure that I have seen this in the U.S. but that does not mean that it doesn't exist. I'm friends with a couple of restaurant owners so I'll be sure to ask them if their meat comes in frozen or vacuum packed (or both). If I opened a container with meat that was darker and smelled a little, I don't think that I'd wait until the color returned and the small dissipated. Perhaps it is just something that I'm not used to.

Please we discusses meat processed by professionals, aimed for the cruise, hotel and restaurant business. That has absolutely nothing to do with what one do at home with a vacum sealer you by on Amazon!

My point is, you are not going to get bought today meat or poultry, fish on multiple sea days. You will get fresh lobster when it is available. The tails are flash frozen but when they have fresh Main Lobster it will be on the menu.

The US has very strict requirements how food is kept and served. Sushi for instance must be flash frozen to kill any parasites. Meat temperatures have to be at a required level even if it is fresh but should not be kept above the freezing level for several days. In Europe you have different regulations I am sure.

My point is, you are not going to get bought today meat or poultry, fish on multiple sea days. You will get fresh lobster when it is available. The tails are flash frozen but when they have fresh Main Lobster it will be on the menu.

The US has very strict requirements how food is kept and served. Sushi for instance must be flash frozen to kill any parasites. Meat temperatures have to be at a required level even if it is fresh but should not be kept above the freezing level for several days. In Europe you have different regulations I am sure.

Obviously things are done differently in Sweden and they can take vacuum packed beef and refrigerate it so that it will last for "up to three months". While this is likely not permissible in the U.S., it is understandable that the rest of of the world may have different regulations.

I am very sure that USDA regulations would not allow for vacuum packed unfrozen meat to be kept for more than 14 days. The concern is Clostridium, which causes bad food poisoning. Food rules are different in other countries, but the US is very strict about this, and Regent has to comply with the US rules.

I am very sure that USDA regulations would not allow for vacuum packed unfrozen meat to be kept for more than 14 days. The concern is Clostridium, which causes bad food poisoning. Food rules are different in other countries, but the US is very strict about this, and Regent has to comply with the US rules.

Rachel, have you ever seen the boxed food in a grocery store that is not refrigerated - some of which contain meat? They look pretty awful but have been sold for a while (not a large display of them I'm the stores). Anyway, I'm wondering if these are the vacuum packed products that they may use in Sweden (except that they are not refrigerated in the stores).

“it is understandable that the rest of of the world may have different regulations.”

Of course other countries have different regulations and the US has very strict regulations regarding restaurants and are rated as such including cruise lines which go through intensive and sometimes unannounced food inspections. Here in the US as you know grocery stores have sell by dates. If you freeze these items on the sell by date one would be fine eating them a week or more later.

Bacteria is the key issue here and cruise lines must adhere to this as well. It’s not like the chef can run to the butcher to get a fresh cut of meat. We have had wonderful food on luxury lines including Regent knowing that it was not fresh or caught that day. Dover Sole flash frozen or Mahi in salt water keeps the fish fresh and that is what you do when you store fresh fish.

In ports where the chef can get fresh items they should be served that night such as oysters or local seafood items. I suggest when offered, should do a galley tour and chat the chef up and ask questions. They are happy to answer them.

Rachel, have you ever seen the boxed food in a grocery store that is not refrigerated - some of which contain meat? They look pretty awful but have been sold for a while (not a large display of them I'm the stores). Anyway, I'm wondering if these are the vacuum packed products that they may use in Sweden (except that they are not refrigerated in the stores).

Those are already cooked, not raw meat.

Don't believe that is completely true about complying with US rules. For instance CDC has strict reporting requirements but only for ships I believe that are within a certain number of days of arriving in a US port. Going into other world ports they have to follow the rules of that country.

Regent is a Panamanian company and the ships are flagged in the Bahamas so varying laws and requirements depending on where the ship is and which port it is going into coming out of and then complying with the rules/laws of their country of registry, Panama and where the ships are flagged, Bahamas.

They need giant cans of "BE QUIET". Captain made an announcement during dinner - no one stopped talking. Thanks. What I did hear was 45+ knot winds, seas 11+ feet against the ship and something else. Should be interesting tomorrow.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves that I experience on Regent, whether it is the Captain making an unplanned announcement, tour guides speaking during excursions (esp on the bus) or some other occasion when someone is speaking and they can't be heard because others refuse to be quiet. One of my favorite memories, on the first cruise with my youngest nephew, I believe he had just turned eight years old and we were sitting in the theater waiting for the lecture to start and the CD was trying to make an announcement regarding a change in schedule for the following day and many people did not have the courtesy to stop talking and listen. My nephew turned to me and exclaimed "if they don't stop talking, someone will have to go to the principal's office"

gnomie :)