Norton Explorer(er)s Trumps BFF Putins land

United Airlines’s short rib is notorious. On a flight from LAX to Paris a few years ago, I broke three plastic knives trying to cut it. On a positive note, it would have made an effective cudgel to wack hijackers with. On an even more negative note, we then watched a flight attendant plate the short rib with his bare hands and then lick the barbecue sauce off his fingers, followed by another plating. That particular gross performance got us each $500 in UA ticket credits...

The punch line is that the very evening we arrived in Paris, we had dinner at a more casual restaurant run by a three Michelin star restaurant chef and watched the rotisserie chicken being plated with bare hands that one of the sous chefs had been using to scratch deep inside his ear canal. When I mentioned this to the Maitre d’, he responded in classic Gallic fashion: “Vell, at least he did not do zis!”while bringing his index finger up to one nostril and wiggling it...

I kid you not.

Well there’s some issues. First getting to the ship was borked. No open gate. Some taxis got in others didn’t. To me that was FAIL on the part of the line as they could’ve resolved that issue by shadowing port security.

(Yes I had to walk the extra length because they didn’t check on their access or really lack thereof. )

The safety drill was the least safe I’ve experienced. (Don’t rush to your suite to grab a jacket or unplug things).

If you try to charge something while you’re out the stewardess is instructed to unplug it (but unplug it before the ship sinks). But hey the TV, DVD/BlueRay/Fridge/lights etc... are ok. Hello USCG? Yes I have a complaint...

Aside from IMO management failures I’m having a great cruise. The restaurant and bar staff have been excellent even given their sub prime beef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

United Airlines’s short rib is notorious. On a flight from LAX to Paris a few years ago, I broke three plastic knives trying to cut it. On a positive note, it would have made an effective cudgel to wack hijackers with. On an even more negative note, we then watched a flight attendant plate the short rib with his bare hands and then lick the barbecue sauce off his fingers, followed by another plating. That particular gross performance got us each $500 in UA ticket credits...

The punch line is that the very evening we arrived in Paris, we had dinner at a more casual restaurant run by a three Michelin star restaurant chef and watched the rotisserie chicken being plated with bare hands that one of the sous chefs had been using to scratch deep inside his ear canal. When I mentioned this to the Maitre d’, he responded in classic Gallic fashion: “Vell, at least he did not do zis!”while bringing his index finger up to one nostril and wiggling it...

I kid you not.

The more I travel and the more I do in the name of the company the less surprised I am.

The unplugging things is also new and in effect on Oceania as of our cruise in June. Very silly. And I just ignored it. After a couple of days, so did Our butler and stewardess.

Well... I wish I could say the same. Came back to find unplugged camera charger and unplugged laptop. Perhaps a note reading: You touch it you bought it would get the point across.

The unplugging things is also new and in effect on Oceania as of our cruise in June. Very silly. And I just ignored it. After a couple of days, so did Our butler and stewardess.

It was the same on Mariner in June. I left it up to our stewards; sometimes they unplugged our chargers and sometimes not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Arrived in Stockholm at around 7am. One room was ready early. The other wouldn't be ready until 3 hours after it was supposed to be available.

The hotel did offer a nice view.

DSC_7821-XL.jpg

DSC_7819-XL.jpg

On a previous trip I visited the Icebar - why not see it again?

IMG_1916-XL.jpg

IMG_1917-XL.jpg

IMG_1918-XL.jpg

While in Stockholm you could also visit the Vasa museum. A museum dedicated to a ship famous for sinking and then being raised.

DSC_0320-XL.jpg

DSC_0322-XL.jpg

DSC_0346-XL.jpg

Visit an amusement park

DSC_0369-XL.jpg

See where the Nobel prizes (aside from peace) are awarded.

DSC_0387-XL.jpg

Or see the prize dinner tableware

DSC_0407-XL.jpg

Thank you for sharing your adventures. Hope all is good on board now after the earlier mishaps?

We have only discovered aioli recently and would happily have that bowl with the fries. :D

The table setting is lovely also but I'm pretty sure its much more beautiful in Compass Rose?

I am a little jealous.

Pam.

Aside from the hiccups earlier on embarkation day and a few dishes that were misses things have been going quite well.

A pre dinner perfect Manhattan (it's healthy, it has "fruit").

DSC01245-XL.jpg

And maybe a canape of a spring roll in plum sauce (the sauce soaked the skin making the texture less than ideal - taste was nice).

DSC01249-XL.jpg

And perhaps a Kir Royale

DSC01251-XL.jpg

I guess these swizzle sticks are more environmentally friendly than the old plastic ones.

DSC01248-XL.jpg

The lobster bisque was nice (the puff pastry came on the side so it still had its integrity when you ate it).

DSC01252-XL.jpg

Pasta (perfect al dente) in a Champaign cream sauce (very nice tasting) with clams (well past their best by date IMO).

DSC01253-XL.jpg

Strip loin (cooked perfectly but lacking in flavor and had a tough texture). The jacket potato was quite nice and the sauce rich and flavorful.

DSC01254-XL.jpg

Petit Fours (unlike Seabourn that you now seem to have to request them Regent just brings them. Nice.)

DSC01255-XL.jpg

Mmm...cheese

DSC01256-XL.jpg