Single cruiser

My SIL asked to join us on a Canada cruise next year. She enjoys a balcony cabin and knew she would be paying double. What shocked me when researching the cruise was that a single cruiser is actually paying more than the combined fare for two cruisers. Has anyone else come across this strange pricing?

Thanks, Biker. Just curious, though. If she booked the second guest as TBD, would she then have to pay tax and fees ($200) for the non existent person. Same question on gratuities.

No, if the person is a no show, all taxes and gratuities would be refunded.

If she booked the second guest as TBD, would she then have to pay tax and fees ($200) for the non existent person. Same question on gratuities.

Yes, but the taxes would be refunded when TBD doesn't show up and there would be no grats for TBD. All that assumes you can't really book it single for the same price as double, which is very unlikely.

One cruise I took 18 months ago had to book 2 as was cheaper.

The one time this is true is with GTY rates - you usually can't book that for solos, so if compared to an actual cabin category it may seem more expensive.

I always cruise as single. One cruise I took 18 months ago had to book 2 as was cheaper. "Second" was a no-show and got my taxes back before cruise was done
You didn't have enough points for the 150% rates 18 months ago?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You didn't have enough points for the 150% rates 18 months ago?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Started cruising on Royal in 1988, made Diamond by 1997. Didn't cruise 2002-2013, Army Life & being a Single Father raising 3 kids kept me busy. Now I have 3 kids in College, Retired and went over 340 in Oct2016 enjoying the Benefit's of a single cruiser. Also expecting my 4th Grand Daughter Sept 1st. The Good Life, not bad for someone just turned 53...

Edited by ONECRUISER