Ventura 2 day mini cruise to Guernsey

hollyjess

Would appreciate any views before I book for self and hubby for 2019.

I have been on many "two nighters" with P&O to Guernsey. If you are trying to see whether you like cruising and using this short break as a representative example they come with a slightly different atmosphere. A number of stag and hen parties might be on board and they have an influence on the ambiance. If you like the party atmosphere this is for you.

In terms of value for money you are looking at £200 - £300 per passenger for the cruise fare. Most cruises with the same line will work out pro rata on the number of nights. However there are additional costs which make shorter cruises much less value for money. Transport to and from your home to Southampton is generally the same price for 2, 7 or 14 nights. Travel Insurance on a single trip is expensive but you can get Annual Policies to cover this and all other trips for a year.

The P&O two nighters to Guernsey permit you to purchase duty free cigarettes and alcohol whereas a two nighter to Bruges gives no duty free allowance becauseof the EU which will change at some point we think.

There are usually a limited number of cheap 4 - 7 night cruises which do not sell that well and the price drops which is where better value is to be had. Obviously if you drive parking costs increase whereas taxi or coach is flat rate irrespective of cruise length.

Overall a Guernsey 2 night break will generally be nice but I think for not much extra you can get more for your money. I did a number of 2 nighters to investigate new ships etc. but always have had Annual Travel Insurance and bought cigarettes when going to Guernsey which all reduce unit costs.

Regards John

Do bear in mind that the ship is often not able to dock in Guernsey due to weather conditions and problems with the swell of the sea and the tenders, so you do have to be prepared for this.

Only do a two nighter to Guernsey if you would be happy to stay onboard for the whole cruise because of the weather mentioned above, treat getting off as a bonus. Plus you could be queueing for up to 3 hours to get the tender off the boat!!!!!

Don't go with the idea that you will see much of Guernsey.

The tendering is the worst we have ever experienced.

Even arriving at P&Os suggested quieter time we still waited for 90 minutes to get off and coming back...……….well you can imagine the queue :(

Book it! Who cares if you can’t get off, if there are stag and hen parties onboard and if it represents good value for money or not! It’s a cruise and there’s nothing nicer. Go for it and enjoy the good food, good entertainment and the luxury of being on a cruise ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums