Restaurants in Venice

ernieb

We will once again be spending a few days in Venice prior to our cruise the middle of October. We enjoy good Italian food and would appreciate any suggestions for restaurants that provide excellent meals. While we do not mind paying for an excellent meal with great service, we do not appreciate restaurants where “fru-fru” presentations of pretty but unsatisfying food is the norm. We do enjoy the food served by A Beccafica San Stephano but that is a longer walk than we would like from the Danieli hotel where we will be staying. Does anybody have any good suggestions for the area around the Danieli?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My favourite places are just as far away to walk to - la profeta is a lovely restaurant close to the ca rezzonico and al anfora is close to the train station so neither are that handy for you

Santa marina restaurant is fantastic and not far from the danieli - or you could hop on a boat to the zattere and eat in any of the restaurants on the waterfront along there

I always figured the down point to that location is the dining options are limited - there are lots of nice places for lunch but dinners are worth travelling a bit further for

• 2 weeks later...
Is Caffe Florian "worth it"? It's in a book series I've been reading by Donna Leon.

If you sit indoors at Florian, it's not terribly expensive. If you sit outdoors listening to the orchestra, it can be very expensive. BTW, Donna Leon's books are actually very good as restaurant guides in Venice, since the places her detective Brunetti goes are all real and places Donna Leon likes. Every time we go to Venice, my wife and I go exploring her choices and have been very happy with them.

If you sit indoors at Florian, it's not terribly expensive. If you sit outdoors listening to the orchestra, it can be very expensive. BTW, Donna Leon's books are actually very good as restaurant guides in Venice, since the places her detective Brunetti goes are all real and places Donna Leon likes. Every time we go to Venice, my wife and I go exploring her choices and have been very happy with them.

Thats great to know, and I have google mapped some of the spots she puts in her books and did see that they're all real - I love that. Never having been to Venice yet - I've learned alot from her! Ha! I know I want to see La Fenice as it was in the first book I read in her Brunetti series. :)

Thats great to know, and I have google mapped some of the spots she puts in her books and did see that they're all real - I love that. Never having been to Venice yet - I've learned alot from her! Ha! I know I want to see La Fenice as it was in the first book I read in her Brunetti series. :)

La Fenice is open for tours -- it's a bit frustrating as you can't just pop in and see it, you have to rent their audioguide and pay admission.

It's worth it though -- an over the top little candy box of an opera house. :)

If you're looking for something on the Piazza, Ristorante Quadri (in the palazzo across from Caffe Florian) has a Michelin star and you couldn't ask for a better location or prettier setting.

A tip -- if you don't want to pay for the Michelin-starred prices, the same management owns the more casual and less pricey ground-floor bistrot, Quadrino -- and they also share the same executive chef and kitchen. The interior space is also beautiful. I ate here last November and really enjoyed it. Because it was November, the terrace doors to the Piazza were closed and it had a very cozy feel; in warmer months these are open and you feel more a part of the piazza, I'd imagine...

• Like 1

If you're looking for something on the Piazza, Ristorante Quadri (in the palazzo across from Caffe Florian) has a Michelin star and you couldn't ask for a better location or prettier setting.

A tip -- if you don't want to pay for the Michelin-starred prices, the same management owns the more casual and less pricey ground-floor bistrot, Quadrino -- and they also share the same executive chef and kitchen. The interior space is also beautiful. I ate here last November and really enjoyed it. Because it was November, the terrace doors to the Piazza were closed and it had a very cozy feel; in warmer months these are open and you feel more a part of the piazza, I'd imagine...

Taking note of these! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Ernieb....so we are spending 3 nights at the Danielli pre cruise this coming May.   Love to hear some suggestions on everything from hotel to restaurants to sight seeing.   When I read your post, I felt like I could have written it. LOL

Hope you had a great time.

• 3 weeks later...