Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

On 6/9/2024 at 7:41 PM, DavyWavey70 said:

Hi Lois, I had been following along but things got a bit crazy here as my partner opened his second store last week. I’m not sure I’d enjoy a more traditional x ship either. I Think most of the appeal to me was in the ship being less traditional. It was quite a vibrant feel to it. My next adventure is on Az whilst I still can’t find a single SS cruise that appeals and is less than 100% supplement.  Hopefully your cough has cleared up now. DWxxx

Hi DW, I am also wishing your partner all the best on the opening of his new store😀hope all goes well!

28 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi DW, I am also wishing your partner all the best on the opening of his new store😀hope all goes well!

Many thanks Lois, they have been so busy since they opened on Thursday and have taken quite a few bookings already. It looks like a great proportion of bookings in the branch are going to be cruise. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

I thought Coolers would enjoy this story from The Times:

How Richard Branson launched Virgin Atlantic — and made flying fun.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/6c43b42b-0b0b-440a-b0db-6d4726260d04?shareToken=65ffd103bc8b253b691cad36ed4183dd

Jeff 

Fascinating article Jeff, there’s certainly a vibe on upper class that is a bit rock and roll. He’s certainly a disrupter.  I Enjoyed Upper class very much and the crew were amazing but the onward leg on Delta from AtL to FLL was grim. They couldn’t even be bothered hurrying the passengers along, trying to get a drink out of them was reminiscent of raising the Kraken and the inflight first class meal was a greasy box of perspiring Salami. Branson’s charisma has certainly helped them dodge many bullets over the years. They do need to evolve though. Personally, I can’t wait for my first first class flight on Emirates next January. They do have a bit more money behind them though but I’d happily fly Virgin UC again but not if it meant enduring a Delta flight to complete my journey.

• Like 1

Davy, somehow, I'm embarrassed Delta was such a let down on the 2 hour flight ATL to FLL. Not my fault friend.  Use them a lot, even have the Amex tie-in card.  My experience has been generally positive, drinks offered preflight and midflight, but they obviously missed on your flight.  We've been enjoying delicious roasties ever since your assistance with that more important matter.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Davy, somehow, I'm embarrassed Delta was such a let down on the 2 hour flight ATL to FLL. Not my fault friend.  Use them a lot, even have the Amex tie-in card.  My experience has been generally positive, drinks offered preflight and midflight, but they obviously missed on your flight.  We've been enjoying delicious roasties ever since your assistance with that more important matter.

QSS, I’m really chuffed that my Roasty pointers were a help to you. Everybody deserves proper Roasties. Regarding Delta, I just wasn’t prepared for how they operate and that’s my bad. The return journey was even worse. It took over an hour to board the plane, The entirely uninterested FAs were nowhere to be seen. We left over an hour late, missed our slot and so on so I never even got to see the Virgin lounge at JFK, I had to run through the airport and got there a few minutes before they closed the doors. Luckily, when I got to the Virgin plane I was greeted with a glass of Champagne and things started improving. I Must be honest it wasn’t a great first impression of US domestic flights. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Fascinating article Jeff, there’s certainly a vibe on upper class that is a bit rock and roll. He’s certainly a disrupter.  I Enjoyed Upper class very much and the crew were amazing but the onward leg on Delta from AtL to FLL was grim. They couldn’t even be bothered hurrying the passengers along, trying to get a drink out of them was reminiscent of raising the Kraken and the inflight first class meal was a greasy box of perspiring Salami. Branson’s charisma has certainly helped them dodge many bullets over the years. They do need to evolve though. Personally, I can’t wait for my first first class flight on Emirates next January. They do have a bit more money behind them though but I’d happily fly Virgin UC again but not if it meant enduring a Delta flight to complete my journey.

I have a real affection for Delta as I use to travel to Atlanta regularly in the ‘80’s.

“Up Front” use to  be like armchairs and I remember once ordering a G&T and when it arrived the CC looked at me quizzically  and asked “Oliver Twist”?  “No” I said “Not Dickensian at all I just look extremely  poor”.  She looked even more confused and repeated “Oliver Twist?”.  We’d reached an impasse.  Slowly a look of comprehension spread across her and she said very slowly “olive or twist?”

This absolutely true I promise.

😁

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

I have a real affection for Delta as I use to travel to Atlanta regularly in the ‘80’s.

“Up Front” use to  be like armchairs and I remember once ordering a G&T and when it arrived the CC looked at me quizzically  and asked “Oliver Twist”?  “No” I said “Not Dickensian at all I just look extremely  poor”.  She looked even more confused and repeated “Oliver Twist?”.  We’d reached an impasse.  Slowly a look of comprehension spread across her and she said very slowly “olive or twist?”

This absolutely true I promise.

😁

Jeff

At least your FA spoke! My FAs preferred method of communication was a grunt with an accompanying eye roll. 

Edited by DavyWavey70
  • Haha 2

As there’s a bit of a lull, some Newer Coolers might if they have nothing better to do might be sufficiently bored to take a glance at the Grand Opening of The Cooler eleven years ago.  I was as useless then as I am now and still haven’t learned to spell. People rather hurtfully took  the mick. 

It is remarkable that the Cooler lasted this long. Thanks to all that continue to bring a smile. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/1818374-silversea-water-cooler-welcome/#comment-38208615

See how many of those early posters you can see still visit!

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

As there’s a bit of a lull, some Newer Coolers might if they have nothing better to do might be sufficiently bored to take a glance at the Grand Opening of The Cooler eleven years ago.  I was as useless then as I am now and still haven’t learned to spell. People rather hurtfully took  the mick. 

It is remarkable that the Cooler lasted this long. Thanks to all that continue to bring a smile. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/1818374-silversea-water-cooler-welcome/#comment-38208615

See how many of those early posters you can see still visit!

Jeff

I’ve been wondering for some time about Mr Luxury. He hasn’t posted for a while now. 

4 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I’ve been wondering for some time about Mr Luxury. He hasn’t posted for a while now. 

We had our ups and downs over the years, but I genuinely developed a real affection for him and often wondered about him also.  CC has changed and many have drifted away, but I do so hope he is OK and healthy and perhaps he’ll drop by for a glass or three. 

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

13 minutes ago, V8Babe said:

Still here Jeff, visit every day.

So glad you came back, really missed you.

Karin

Karin, that is astonishingly lovely of you.  I so much appreciate being missed.  And I missed all of your eight pistons. 

As some of us progress through life and years it’s great to have a place that we could if we choose nurture and pop in for a moment or two each day and have something to smile about for a moment or two.  Strangers can be friends if we choose to think of them in that way.  And I choose to. 

I genuinely believe you can have a real and authentic friendship in places like the cooler because people can be what they choose to be.  They can smell authentic or smell otherwise.  Many of us become more detached  from people (particularly but not exclusively as we get older} and the Cooler could be a place for people to link and find something to be uplifting if that is what it is what they choose. 

I don’t know whether Helga is a v8 or v12.  I’m a bloke and never read the instructions.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 2

Ah the USA. Amazing how we speak the same language yet sometimes can't communicate.

I vividly remember our first time in New Orleans. We went to a diner for breakfast and I ordered my eggs over easy. The waitress replied Can you run that by me again? I repeated my order and this time it was one more time honey.

At this stage Rojaan spoke up and said he wants his eggs over easy. Gotcha honey she said and then - Is your husband Eyetaalian?

Rojaan can do the southern drawl very well/ Basically I am understood in Oklahoma as they speak slowly and in Washington State where some have thought me a local.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, drron29 said:

Ah the USA. Amazing how we speak the same language yet sometimes can't communicate.

I vividly remember our first time in New Orleans. We went to a diner for breakfast and I ordered my eggs over easy. The waitress replied Can you run that by me again? I repeated my order and this time it was one more time honey.

At this stage Rojaan spoke up and said he wants his eggs over easy. Gotcha honey she said and then - Is your husband Eyetaalian?

Rojaan can do the southern drawl very well/ Basically I am understood in Oklahoma as they speak slowly and in Washington State where some have thought me a local.

Lovely story.  I self identify with the language.

It might be because you have a surry with the fringe on top.  🙂

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1

Of course in Australia our sense of humour is often lost on visitors from elsewhere.

The Covid instructions for a pharmacy in Kalgoorlie Western Australia.

image.png.6ea1bcb246c516f7af813633263a7f6b.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Of course in Australia our sense of humour is often lost on visitors from elsewhere.

The Covid instructions for a pharmacy in Kalgoorlie Western Australia.

image.png.6ea1bcb246c516f7af813633263a7f6b.png

I🙂

Australia truly rocks.  And Australian humour is actually the loveliest because it always hits the spot instantly and without pretension.  It is largely micky taking and self deprecating and many other don’t get it. 

I’m hopeful you will recall my previously disclosed dawning appreciation that my Uncle Zelman was GG of Ozland and that he offered me a free card to your wonderful country. I was almost an Ozman. 

And the hidden secret of Oz arrivals is to find a lady with a clip  board in the arrivals hall and ask her whether she would “do you”.  Straight out through the fast track! 🙂

Jeff 

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1