Specialty Dining - fixed prices or a la cart?

rstackjd

Admittedly we don't do the Specialty Dinning much as the MDR food has greatly improved in recent years. But for an up coming cruise with a large group I want to "throw a dinner" for some people and was thinking of making a reservation at one of the Specialty restaurants. As I recall, they all used to a fixed price, but looking at the NCL site now, it appears that only Teppanyaki and Moderno are fixed price and all the rest are a la cart. Is this correct? If it makes a difference we will be on the Getaway.

Thanks!

yes, tehy went alacarte except for those two about 2 years ago

well darn - hoping to control the costs of the evening. We already plan on Teppanyaki with some others, so I guess Moderno it is! Never eaten there.

moderno is my fave! i basically eat a ton at the salad bar then focus just on teh lamb chops. they are the best on the ship!
My fave too though I skip the salad (I'm Scottish [emoji3]) and focus on the meats .... and the pineapple.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My fave too though I skip the salad (I'm Scottish [emoji3]) and focus on the meats .... and the pineapple.

^^^^ This guy knows what he's talking about. Keep that chip turned to the green side, and bring on the picanha! :p

The free specialty dining plan follows the exact T&Cs that the paid specialty dining plan. The onboard staff have no idea if it was free or paid...... just that you have an SDP

Actually, ala carte is beneficial to the cruiser because it allows family and friends, who do not have the SDP, to enjoy dinner together.

The free specialty dining plan follows the exact T&Cs that the paid specialty dining plan. The onboard staff have no idea if it was free or paid...... just that you have an SDP

Actually, ala carte is beneficial to the cruiser because it allows family and friends, who do not have the SDP, to enjoy dinner together.

Well - even with just a flat rate they could do that before...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You order your free meal off the menu. And it is free (so long as you only select one entree)

There’s a Tomahawk Rip Chop listed for $39 at Cagney’s...would that be included? If it is, I’m definitely going there for one of my specialty dinners and ordering it.

ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro.

The above is from Specialty Dining Package FAQ

Does anyone know what the 'additional entree charges' are for these two restaurants? For example, at Cagney's, if I order the 32 oz porterhouse, will I pay an additional $25 if I have the SDP?

There’s a Tomahawk Rip Chop listed for $39 at Cagney’s...would that be included? If it is, I’m definitely going there for one of my specialty dinners and ordering it.

The Tomahawk use to be included with the SDP. However, it was removed from the menu about a year and a half ago.

On my first Sky cruise I remember that the server let us know how much we can order at the start of the service for Cagney's. I believe we were able to order 2 appetizers 1 entree and a dessert. But that was 2 years ago. I don't remember that happening last year.

I guess I will find out this year.

So at NCL specialty restaurants you can't just order whatever you want off the menu, like the other cruise lines? You're limited to one entree?

No. You can order as many entrees as you want. Since [most] restaurants are a la carte, you pay for each item you order (apps, entrees, desserts, sides)

On my first Sky cruise I remember that the server let us know how much we can order at the start of the service for Cagney's. I believe we were able to order 2 appetizers 1 entree and a dessert. But that was 2 years ago. I don't remember that happening last year.

I guess I will find out this year.

According to the Norwegian Cruise line site the dining package only limits you to one entrée but does not limit your side dishes, appetizers, or desserts. Below I have quoted the terms and conditions of the dining package:

“The Ultimate Dining Package allows for 3 nights of specialty restaurant dining and applies to the 1st and 2nd guests. Packages are based on a per meal basis. Any Harvest Caye bars, restaurnats, or venues, Food Republic, The Bake Shop, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, specialty items in the Asian restaurant, Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year's, Christmas, etc.), Jazz Brunch, Wine Lovers and Murder Mystery lunches, and beverages are not included as part of the Specialty Dining Packages. You may choose to dine in the following venues as part of your Specialty Dining Package for the corresponding upcharges: The Supper Club ($15), For the Record ($15), Ocean Blue ($15), Bayamo ($15), Cirque Dreams and Illusionarium ($10 regular seats/$15 premium seats/$35 VIP seating on Breakaway), Sushi Bar ($7), Pincho Tapas Bar ($7), and Raw Bar ($7). Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at the a la carte price listed on the menu. There is no minimum or maximum to the number of meals that can be redeemed in a day, however each meal is counted towards the package. Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities on the retail value of the Specialty Dining Package prior to cruise.”

If you notice it specifically states that only 1 Entrée is covered but it makes no mention of excluding coverage of side dishes, extra appetizers or extra desserts. On the other hand the platinum latitudes dinners at le bistro or Cagney’s specifically state that only one appetizer, one entrée, and one dessert are covered. Maybe that’s what your waiter or waitress were thinking when they told you that.