Thinking about trying out Norwegian

Mr & Mrs Happy

All of my cruises have been with Carnival. We have an upcoming 4 day cruise ((but need to change to a 3 day cruise due to my classes) but I'm thinking about trying out Norwegian.

I came across 2 - 3 day cruises out of Port Canaveral on Norwegian Sun.

I've been to Nassau a few times already but Great Stirrup Cay would be a new port to visit.

Both ocean view; DH has to have natural light, includes unlimited drinks (are soda's, and specialty coffees included?) and 2 options if booking an ocean view; I would choose the picture package and $50 off a shore excursion at each port(s).

(1) Great Stirrup Cay and Nassau - Total: $1114.54

(2) Great Stirrup Cay and Sea day - Total: $1274.54

If I did a 3 day (ocean view) with Carnival; Princess Cay (never been) and Nassau. Total: $1257.26 which includes the Cheers package. No discount on shore excursion but there is a $50 on board credit.

We dont want to worry about anything other than relaxing, which is why we are going with CHEERS for the first time if we went with Carnival.

Ok here are my questions.

(1) Of the 3 choices, which seems the best option?

(2) Gratuity on Carnival comes to $77.70 total. Is gratuity included with the price for Norwegian? If not, what would be the price or estimation?

(3) Does Norwegian have a "party type vibe"? We're pretty laid back but love to have fun. Especially when it comes to dancing.

(4) What about internet? Pricing? Carnival offers the HUB app, does Norwegian offer something similar?

Any other information would be appreciated.

I know you have a lot of questions, but I will answer the most important one for you.

Go with Carnival. While the Sun was recently refurbished, it simply is not worth the prices you quoted. Gratuity on that ship is $19.99pp/pd, so add roughly $120 to your figures. There is free alcohol, but choices are very limited and certainly not comparable to Carnival's Cheers package. Plus the food is awful.

Those prices on NCL look HIGH. I just got $279/PP balcony ($199/pp Oceanview) for the following. When are you planning to sail?

3 Night Bahamas

Norwegian Sun

Departing from: Port Canaveral (Orlando), Florida

Ports of Call:

• Nassau, Bahamas •
  • Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas

Sailing Dates:

• August 17, 24, 31, 2018

Those prices on NCL look HIGH. I just got $279/PP balcony ($199/pp Oceanview) for the following. When are you planning to sail?

3 Night Bahamas

Norwegian Sun

Ports of Call:

• Nassau, Bahamas •

Sailing Dates:

They are really having trouble filling that ship. The August 17 sailing is only $179pp for an interior. I think I ended up paying $250pp in June ($800 and change once you add tax and fees) and I wouldn't spend any more than that.

3 Night Bahamas

Norwegian Sun

Ports of Call:

• Nassau, Bahamas •

Sailing Dates:

May 2019. I forgot the dates...:')

I know you have a lot of questions, but I will answer the most important one for you.

Go with Carnival. While the Sun was recently refurbished, it simply is not worth the prices you quoted. Gratuity on that ship is $19.99pp/pd, so add roughly $120 to your figures. There is free alcohol, but choices are very limited and certainly not comparable to Carnival's Cheers package. Plus the food is awful.

Ouch...I havent had any major complaints about Carnival. Just wanted to maybe try something different that didnt also cost and arm and a leg. Not sure if prices are a bit high because we'd be cruising in May.

Don't book that far in advance. Not for Sun. I've watched those prices over the summer and they typically drop by 50% as sailing date nears. An oceanview will not sell out in May.

On Carnival and Royal you are rewarded for booking early, as the price rises as sail date nears. NCL seems to be the opposite.

With that date I'm getting the about the same prices. If you're set on booking now it's a tough choice. NCL option 2 and the Carnival option are not very far apart once gratuities are included. (on the Sun $19.99/day per person)

NCL Sky had a party vibe but it wasn't a drunk fest. There were plenty of all types of vacationers.

There is the iConcierge app, I downloaded it but we didn't use it.

"Now Norwegians can unwind, unplug and still stay connected. Our Norwegian iConcierge app keeps you informed about everything going on, lets you make reservations for Shore Excursions and more. You can plan your playtime with just one hand — which is great because your other hand will probably be holding an umbrella drink.

Available on board: Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Dawn, Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Escape, Norwegian Gem, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Jade, Norwegian Jewel, Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Spirit, Norwegian Star, Norwegian Sun, and Pride Of America.

This app is not compatible with Norwegian Bliss and Norwegian Sky.

How to use the Norwegian iConcierge app

Features Include:

• Shore Excursions Previews and Bookings
  • Restaurant Information with Menus and Bookings
  • Entertainment Information and Reservations
  • Folio Review
  • General Information, such as Onboard Services, Spa Services, and Shopping
  • Daily Activities
  • Cruise Rewards Information
  • Messenger/Phone Features with Other Guests during your cruise (Nominal One-Time Fee During Cruise)
  • Phone Calling with Family and Friends Back Home (Nominal Per Minute Fee During Cruise)"

Edited by JennyB1977

I’ve never sailed Sky but have done 7 cruises with NCL. To me, hands down better than Carnival.

At least with my friends, Carnival has the reputation of the redneck party cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Heeeey....I'm from the South *side eyes* you!!

The cruises Ive been on with Carnival, Redneck? No! Party cruise? Yes! Or if it was full of rednecks (which I hate that term), I was too busy living my best life to even notice *shrugs* We prefer a lively cruise and if NCL is not like that, then it's definitely not for us.

Heeeey....I'm from the South *side eyes* you!!

The cruises Ive been on with Carnival, Redneck? No! Party cruise? Yes! Or if it was full of rednecks (which I hate that term), I was too busy living my best life to even notice *shrugs* We prefer a lively cruise and if NCL is not like that, then it's definitely not for us.

I’m born and raised in the south too... I love a good party but Carnival is so cheap comparatively when you look at Nola and Mobile... you get the redneck assery of a bunch of drunks having a good ole time.

I’ve had so many friends do a carnival cruise from mobile or Nola and come back saying never, NEVER again.

I think carnival is likely better outside those ports because people will travel to go out of Miami or Port Canaveral... mobile and Nola get people too cheap to fly that will drive in.

Still high I got $419/pp Oceanview.

3 Night Bahamas

Norwegian Sun

Ports of Call:

• Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas •
  • Nassau, Bahamas

Sailing Dates:

• May 3, 10, 17, 31, 2019

Add in taxes and fees, and you're close to $1100.

Still high I got $419/pp Oceanview.

3 Night Bahamas

Norwegian Sun

Ports of Call:

• Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas •
  • Nassau, Bahamas

Sailing Dates:

• May 3, 10, 17, 31, 2019

Just with this bit of information that has been posted, I think I'll stick with Carnival; at least for now.

Don't book that far in advance. Not for Sun. I've watched those prices over the summer and they typically drop by 50% as sailing date nears. An oceanview will not sell out in May.

On Carnival and Royal you are rewarded for booking early, as the price rises as sail date nears. NCL seems to be the opposite.

This is helpful. I’m also looking at Sun in January because it threads an availability needle with our college aged girls. It is a 4 day to Key West and Cozumel, both Ports we love. It’s $449 pp. I need two cabins. Seemed cheap to me. Would you wait to book??? Appreciate any insight. Never priced this ship before but avid NCL cruisers. We love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just with this bit of information that has been posted, I think I'll stick with Carnival; at least for now.

I wasn't trying to steer you away from Sun. It is what it is, and it serves it's purpose as a drinking vessel. You'll have fun.

BUT, if the rate on Carnival with cheers package included is in the same ballpark as Sun, you're definitely going to get a better value for your money by sticking with Carnival. If you are accustomed to cheers, you'll be very disappointed by what you find on Sun.

Although, if you're able to snag a last minute deal and get your cabin for less than $800 (taxes and port fees included) and are willing to drink cheaper booze, no bottled water and no specialty coffee, then I would go with Sun.

I’m born and raised in the south too... I love a good party but Carnival is so cheap comparatively when you look at Nola and Mobile... you get the redneck assery of a bunch of drunks having a good ole time.

I’ve had so many friends do a carnival cruise from mobile or Nola and come back saying never, NEVER again.

I think carnival is likely better outside those ports because people will travel to go out of Miami or Port Canaveral... mobile and Nola get people too cheap to fly that will drive in.

I've cruised out of Nola, Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral. We always drive down the day before; except with Nola which is about a 5 hr drive, so we drove the day of cruise.

Where there some "drunks", yes but it wasnt nearly as bad compared to when I've gone to some of the clubs here. I've seen a few fights break out on my cruises but security handled things with the quickness. I guess Im trying to understand what the atmosphere is like on a Norwegian, if your friends wont do Carnival again. If it's lame or not very lively on Norwegian (maybe it differs from ship to ship??), then I know for certain that Norwegian isnt for us. We arent drunks but we love to drink, have fun, and interact with folks.

I just wanted to try something different, not because I'm disappointed about Carnival. Im not at that point, yet.

This is helpful. I’m also looking at Sun in January because it threads an availability needle with our college aged girls. It is a 4 day to Key West and Cozumel, both Ports we love. It’s $449 pp. I need two cabins. Seemed cheap to me. Would you wait to book??? Appreciate any insight. Never priced this ship before but avid NCL cruisers. We love it!

The only trips I've been watching are the 3 day Bahamas and 4 day Key West / Cuba sailings out of PC. I'm not familiar with the Cozumel itinerary, that's a new one that the Sun hasn't started yet. So I can't give you any advice on that one in particular.

January (except for week of New Year's) is traditionally one of the cheapest months to cruise. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that $449 (balcony, I assume) will drop to around $300.

I wasn't trying to steer you away from Sun. It is what it is, and it serves it's purpose as a drinking vessel. You'll have fun.

BUT, if the rate on Carnival with cheers package included is in the same ballpark as Sun, you're definitely going to get a better value for your money by sticking with Carnival. If you are accustomed to cheers, you'll be very disappointed by what you find on Sun.

Although, if you're able to snag a last minute deal and get your cabin for less than $800 (taxes and port fees included) and are willing to drink cheaper booze, no bottled water and no specialty coffee, then I would go with Sun.

I did a mock booking of a 3 day cruise on Carnival with a balcony + cheers and it came out to $1303.76 total. If I wanted to pre-pay grats (which I always do); add $77.70 to the total. Ive had a balcony before and we just didnt utilize it like I thought. I'd go with just an interior, but DH likes natural light, so even with an ocean view + Cheers, the total came out to $1183.76.

We've never done cheers but I know it covers drinks up to $15, soda, and specialty coffees which DH loves, and water

• 500ml bottled water and other non-alcoholic bottled beverages served in bars and lounges
  • Large format (1 liter and 1.5-liter) bottles of water in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants

I know with Cheers, we'd break even...LOL! I always say Im not going to go overboard with drinking but then I get on board and *sigh*. Thats not even including what I order to have in the cabin through the funshop. Gosh, I sound like a lush...Ha!

The only trips I've been watching are the 3 day Bahamas and 4 day Key West / Cuba sailings out of PC. I'm not familiar with the Cozumel itinerary, that's a new one that the Sun hasn't started yet. So I can't give you any advice on that one in particular.

January (except for week of New Year's) is traditionally one of the cheapest months to cruise. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that $449 (balcony, I assume) will drop to around $300.

Oh my. Nope. That was ocean view. Will keep an eye on it a bit! Thank you!!

I've cruised out of Nola, Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral. We always drive down the day before; except with Nola which is about a 5 hr drive, so we drove the day of cruise.

Where there some "drunks", yes but it wasnt nearly as bad compared to when I've gone to some of the clubs here. I've seen a few fights break out on my cruises but security handled things with the quickness. I guess Im trying to understand what the atmosphere is like on a Norwegian, if your friends wont do Carnival again. If it's lame or not very lively on Norwegian (maybe it differs from ship to ship??), then I know for certain that Norwegian isnt for us. We arent drunks but we love to drink, have fun, and interact with folks.

I just wanted to try something different, not because I'm disappointed about Carnival. Im not at that point, yet.

Every NCL cruise I've been on they essentially have a theme party every night of the cruise (whether that be on the pool deck, in Spice H2O or in the Spinnaker Lounge)... A lot of what dictates how "fun" the party is, to me at least, is the cruise director and how he/she works the ground. My last cruise on Escape with Tyler Grey (easily one of the best CD's every) was hype to the max every night. He was just a flaming ball of energy anytime you saw him.

It's been a while since I've been on Carnival but my friends that have say it's mainly the number of drunks they encountered.. Every cruise has drunks especially if it's an all you can drink package (like Sky & Sun do or the UBP on other NCL ships) but it just seems Carnival is a lower class of drunks for lack of a better word.

Everyone has their opinion for sure. I like NCL because the food is good, the entertainment is usually really good, the drinks are good and it's just overall a good experience. Been on 7 now and have two more planned already...

Oh my. Nope. That was ocean view. Will keep an eye on it a bit! Thank you!!

Sorry. It’s the Sky with open bar not the Sun. Does that change your opinion on price target?? Thanks!!

I'm getting the same prices as you are OP. But, I'm also seeing you get two "perks" to choose from and $30 OBC. You're out well into next year, so it's not going to be nearly sold out. Add in specialty dinners as a perk, maybe internet, added to the alcohol, that looks like a pretty good deal.

If interested, here's an excellent review of the Sun and everything that's included by @BirdsTravel....

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2539744

Go to Post #37 for the alcohol list. It's pretty extensive and includes brands like Tito's, Sapphire, Bacardi Black, Cuervo Gold, Dewars, Beam, Dewars,Tanqueray, and a bunch of others, as well as some specialty drinks. Looks fairly comprehensive to me.

I haven't been on Carnival for a while. But, generally speaking, although I have enjoyed all of my cruises, I enjoy my NCL cruises a bit more than Carnival as I feel the entertainment, service and food is better on NCL.

Good luck. Let is know what you decide.